3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Merged - Park Recall / Reverse honk "feature"

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eightball
Just remember the audible warning only happens if your not solidly in Park.........so it won't be a nuisance unless there's a potential for serious problem/accident.
It IS a nuisance if you are backing up with your door open to help you see.

It doesn't happen only when your truck is not solidly in park.

The problem has to do with something in the shift indicator/shift lever/trans, not the driver error. Every driver knows to put the truck in park.

Another reason I wish I would've got the 6spd...too bad I couldn't find one.

SQ
Old 03-28-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
It IS a nuisance if you are backing up with your door open to help you see.

It doesn't happen only when your truck is not solidly in park.

The problem has to do with something in the shift indicator/shift lever/trans, not the driver error. Every driver knows to put the truck in park.

Another reason I wish I would've got the 6spd...too bad I couldn't find one.

SQ
How about keeping a nice little roll of sheet metal tape in the truck to tape the door button down if plan on doing some prolonged backing up with your driver's door open?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:32 PM

Unfortunately, they don't have switches like they used to. It would be a band-aid anyways. They should be fixing it correctly instead of this patch.

Our hopes of a true fix are minimal, especially since this is the production method used in the '06

SQ
Old 03-28-2006, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL eightball - and you better fix your sidewalk at your house...cuz if in 20 years the next person that owns the house trips, you could be liable !
Old 03-28-2006, 04:08 PM

Design by committee, lawyer and bean counter style!

So why doesn't every car/truck come with this nifty safety feature? It must be that we CTDers are just plain stupid, probably from prolonged exposure to diesel fumes. I wonder who I could sue. There is no other logical conclusion as there is clearly no design problem given the nature of the solution.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:13 PM

This is what I posted in another thread about this same exact subject, I too got the letter today.....

I plan on keeping my truck a REAL LONG TIME, I have another 4yrs worth of payments left . If Im the one driving it, paying for it, and taking care of it, Than I choose to do what I want. Its my vehicle. I had a GMC thats had some misc. small recalls, never had them done, sold the truck, and never had a problem. To me, worst case scenario is, If I never had that stupid Reverse alarm recall done, and by chance my truck slipped out of gear, D/C wouldnt cover anything.

This subject was talked about a few months back when all the new '06 owners started to complain about this alarm. I think its pretty pathetic that D/C thinks this is the way to solve this problem about these trucks popping out of gear. To me, the right way to do it is to look over and repair or adjust the linkage, maybe install a park gear lever, or trans lever with a more positive lock or detent. But D/C wont do it this way because it would cost them a ton of money, so instead they go the easy route, do a 2 min, computer re-program, and install an alarm. Thats their way of making sure thay cover their behinds in this subject. Is an alarm, and flashing lights, still going to prevent these trucks from jumping out of gear?? NO!!

I refuse to have this done to my truck, I live in Staten Island, and my neigbors windows are 3 ft from my drive way. I always back my trailers down my driveway looking out my door to make sure I'm staying in-line. I wouldnt want to listen to someones horn blaring at 12, or 1 in the morn.

Im old school, Im paying for it, im keeping up with it, you want to touch my truck for "Your Problem", fix it the right way, or dont touch it at all.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:51 PM

Where is the port located that is used to reprogram the computer with this "fix"? Is it located at the edge of the plastic panel just above the pedals?

Even though the dealer is telling me it's required if the truck is brought in for service, I don't want this ignorant change made. I won't to install some means of preventing the tech from getting access to the interface point to the computer.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:56 PM

So has anyone successfully taken their truck in for service and not had them automatically do this TSB? If so what did you tell them to ensure they didnt do it? This is complete crap, Id rather void my warranty or rip out my horn rather than have this feature.

As to worrying about being sued over something happening, SET YOUR E-BRAKE!!!!!, how is this any different than leaving a manual transmission truck in gear w/o the parking brake set???
Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 PM

Will DC reimburse those people that have damage done to their trucks before they made the recall? $500 deductable, $800 a year in insurance increase.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:10 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
EVERYBODY COMPLAINING ON THIS THREAD WHO JUST GOT A RECALL NOTICE NEEDS TO WRITE A LETTER TO CHRYSLER.
If they find they've angered enough people, they may actually do something about it. If I had a 3rd gen with an auto, you can bet your edited by admin I'd be writing.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 06-08-2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 03-28-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As long as DC is writing some new software...

Hey, I just thought of something! Has anyone else thought of this? If DC can write new software for this reverse/alarm thing that no one seems to want, why can't they write a new software that will let us deselect overdrive and/or lock the torque converter- something useful, you know?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:13 PM

Yup, check out the second post of this thread.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:24 PM

I could be wrong on this but here goes...

I understand the problem to be the solinoid and the valve issue in the transmission.. When the truck is put in park if the valve in the transmission is not fully into the park position fluid can bleed over the valve and cause the valve to be pushed into the reverse or partial reverse position. This may take from 1 to 3 minutes to happen. The indicator on the colum is positioned by the position of the valve in the transmission.. so you may have it in park when you get out and in 1 to 3 minutes it may move to Reverse.

Now another question... Is the 48RE only in the diesel P/U and is that why the recall is only on the diesels???

Otherwise why isn't the gas truck affected??

I don't plan on having mine done.. But one other thing is that once it is done it can not be reversed... they Can't take it back out..

Gerry
Old 03-29-2006, 06:29 AM

Something else to think about. I called Bullydog yesterday to see if they have this TSB in their programmer. John at Bullydog said for $50 I could have my downloader flashed to have the new TSB. This poses two questions.

One: Can Bullydog reprogram the TSB to not sound the horn during reverse?
Two: You have a downloader without the TSB flash and you have your truck serviced with the standard program in the truck. The dealer reflashed your truck during routine service. You download the performance setting again and the TSB is gone. What is the implication of this?

Just for thought.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by quantrill88
So has anyone successfully taken their truck in for service and not had them automatically do this TSB? If so what did you tell them to ensure they didnt do it? This is complete crap, Id rather void my warranty or rip out my horn rather than have this feature.

As to worrying about being sued over something happening, SET YOUR E-BRAKE!!!!!, how is this any different than leaving a manual transmission truck in gear w/o the parking brake set???
The answer is a big "yes!".

Today(Wednesday 3-29), I took my 05 Ram Diesel in for an oil change, and also brought my recall notice too.

The first thing I did was request that they(dealer) not perform the reflash, as I didn't want my horn honking everytime I have to open my driver's door while backing up my trailer or just plain backing up and needing the door open to look behind.

The dealer told me that they would not do it(upon my request today - the reflash), but that I needed to call that 1-800-853-1402 number on the recall letter( If you need help... section near the bottom) and request that Chrysler make a note on my Vin record that I refuse the Code E17 recall fix.

Well, I called, and after the D.C. person put me on hold a couple times to talk to some higher-ups......their answer was......"No"........they wouldn't put a "hold" or a "don't install E17) on my Vin record. They said, that they had to protect their liability incase my truck did cause an accident because of the Park/Reverse problem.

They did however say that I could request each time I took my truck in for service to that the E17 recall not be done.

I can understand D.C.'s point of view..........they could really be opened up to law suits if my truck or any other's did get involved in an accident that was directly related to the Park/Reverse thingy.
Anyway..........I got right from the horse's mouth(D.C.)......you can refuse the Recall code E17 Reflash, each time you bring in your truck for warranty or other work.

Here's the big........"if"...............you must remember to tell them to not do it each time..........D.C. and or the dealers will not put a "hold" or "stop" in your personal records that keeps the reflash from happening automatically.

My work order for my oil change had printed on it......that owner refuses/requests that Code E17 recall not be performed.

I asked the dealer if the reflash could be removed........he wasn't sure, but thought that it probably could.
I told D.C. and the service manager that all the Dodge, and diesel truck forums were "buzzing" with talk about this E17 recall........and that the general consensus was that it was a bad fix...........

1. Horn honking and waking up a whole campground full of campers early in the morning or late at night.....because sometimes us trailer pullers do need to open our driver's door to get some better visibility when backing up what we're towing.
2. Waking up neighbors in our neighbor hood......and just plain making a nuisance-like noise.

I'm hoping that if there are enough folks who refuse this E17 fix.........that D.C. will finally send out another Recall notice that mechanically fixes the Park/Reverse indent problem alleged.

I just want to thank all you folks for changing my mind.....as I didn't think this fix involved my very loud horn being used as a warning signal. This is really a half-arsed fix.
Well, that's all the info. I have right now.

Quick Reply: Merged - Park Recall / Reverse honk "feature"