3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Merged - Park Recall / Reverse honk "feature"

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tony
Is this recalled required? My dealer is telling me that if I bring my truck in for any work, they are REQUIRED to install this recall. Why is it mandatory to install a "fix" that does absolutely nothing to address the root cause of the problem a few have experienced. I called the Dodge help line at 1-800-853-1403 and they said I could refuse the recall. I need some warranty work next week, but I do NOT want this recall done.

What can I do to avoid this recall and still get my other work done?
I went in to have some work done at my local dealer (I hate dealers!) just before my warranty expired. Minor stuff that I am picky about like wind noise, interior rattle, etc.

Well, to my suprise I got this recall done and had I known better, I would've told them to keep it.

Now I'm trying to find a way around it.

If I keep my seatbelt on, will it disable this alarm even if my door is open?

SQ
Old 03-27-2006, 11:12 AM

Alarm

Yeah that's the problem if you bring your truck in they will automatically preform the TSB's. I got one for the hood latch and seat belt thing on my ole 98 (also the trailer hitch re-inforcements)

If you can open the door while backing up with your seat belt pluged in, and it dosn't go off, then that's ok with me, I'll buy a spare. But yes, I do feel it's really stupid to have it go off when so many of us back up, ect.

Why couldn't they have installed a stupid buzzer like the ole 80's era cars had that just went BZZZZZZZZ when the door was open or something.

Talk about leading a horse to water, can't make it drink but you sure can drown it's sorry butt......
Old 03-27-2006, 01:38 PM

FYI:

I just put my truck in reverse to park again after coming back to work from lunch.

Whether your seatbelt is on or not, if you put it in reverse, it blows the horn if you open your door and your foot is off the brake.

Stupid DC...pitiful excuse for a fix. They had better figure something else out.

SQ
Old 03-27-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Guess which recall I got in today's mail?

I had read about it from a few of you, but it came in today's mail. I really don't think I'll be having that done! Who wants to listen to the alarm evertime you have to open the door and look behind you. No one drives the truck except me. And, as a professional driver with a clean CDL and all endorcements, and a hoisting engineer's license, if I can't park in Nuetral or Park, there's a problem!

I'm willing to bet in the next few model years, the Big Three begin to encorporate built in backup alarms into the trucks when you backup. Or, better yet, encorporate some sort of a proximity sensor that disallows movement if objects are detected behind you. That would really edited by admin ya off when the tailgate's down, or crap is sticking out the back! What will be next?

Ok, I'm done whinning now- I feel better.

Edit: Sorry all, didn't see there is a post on this already.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 06-08-2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 03-27-2006, 06:19 PM

I even got that for my 03. I'm not getting it done, that's for sure. About a year ago I started using the Emergency brake and now it's just a habit. That's all I need....
Old 03-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ajpulley
Edit: Sorry all, didn't see there is a post on this already.
That's all right. You guys are giving me lots of practice merging threads.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"you should never exit the vehicle while the engine is running"

thats just ignorant. what a stupid statement.
will they replace starters under warranty if you have to shut it off to get out and get mail, and re-start it to pull into driveway?

how will you heat it up in the morning? burn the envelope the recall notice came in?

arrrrrggg...this stinks to high heaven of incompetence and bean counters....
Old 03-27-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, the solution seems pretty easy to me. Your foot must be off the brake as one of the conditions required to set the alarm off. Keep your foot lightly on the brake.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:01 AM

ok ok... the TSB sucks an I just got an 06 with the dumb feature...how to disable it is the question
Old 03-28-2006, 03:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got my letter today too. NO THANKS.

My emergency brake works just fine and im in the habit of setting it every time I leave the truck.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What total garbage. I got the letter and will not get the recall done. What DC SHOULD have done is figure out why the trucks that did come out of park did so...and come up with a mechanical fix that will prevent it...not just some flashing lights and horn sounds when the thing does come out of gear and runs away from you... Letting other people know or the driver know that the truck has come out of gear on its own is BARELY a band-aid for this problem..they should have figured out and fixed whatever's causing it...arghh
Old 03-28-2006, 11:38 AM

What's bad is that it doesn't sound the alarm ONLY when it comes out of gear...it does it everytime it is in reverse and you are not on the brake, with the door open.

I like to back up to my boat with the door open, seatbelt on, and on/off the brake. Now my neighbors get a rude awakening when I do it.

Thanks D.C.

Now if only our truck-builders were as good as our trucks...
Old 03-28-2006, 01:33 PM

I made my appointment for tomorrow to do the recall "fix". It involves no parts; only a ECU reprogram to emit an audible warning when Park is not solidly engaged.

I got a $59.95 oil change coupon from my dealer too, so I'm going to get both things taken care of.

This shouldn't take very long since there's no parts.
For those that think this recall is stupid....or senseless.......think about this:

If you ever sell your truck, and didn't do this recall, and the new owner were to some how have a catastrophic accident related to the Park/Reverse alleged problem, there might be some personal liablitiy problems for the seller who ignored the recall.

I'm going to protect my ****, and do the fix........
Old 03-28-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by eightball
For those that think this recall is stupid....or senseless.......think about this:

If you ever sell your truck, and didn't do this recall, and the new owner were to some how ..
I'm going to protect my ****, and do the fix........
If I can avoid this "fix" I plan to keep the paperwork and hand it to anyone I may eventually sell the truck to, then it's their choice what to do next.

After all... this is to fix "driver error" - there's no design issue here right?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by davelinde
If I can avoid this "fix" I plan to keep the paperwork and hand it to anyone I may eventually sell the truck to, then it's their choice what to do next.

After all... this is to fix "driver error" - there's no design issue here right?
If it was totally driver error......then someone has to explain to me why I've read numerous complaints from fellow Ram owners about this problem on different forums.

I have noticed that there's been times when I have put my tranny into Park, and wiggled the shift lever just to make sure, and had the lever pop back into reverse. So maybe the there's a potential for an accident because the indents between Park and Reverse aren't real precise, unless you wiggle the lever to make sure.

I really like my truck, but I'm also aware that this Sue-Happy world wants to take my house and assets away from me if they have half a chance.........

That ='s........doing the recall..

Just remember the audible warning only happens if your not solidly in Park.........so it won't be a nuisance unless there's a potential for serious problem/accident.

Quick Reply: Merged - Park Recall / Reverse honk "feature"