3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

M.P.G on New 600

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting 13.7 on my second tank of gas (new 600 Dually). Some of the driving was going over a coastal mountain pass and back doing 70-75mph. So far is way better then my '98 5.9 v8 ever got.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Fencebuilders
Actually,there is some doubt that the 03 Ca. S.O. has a cat.Its doesnt describe one anywhere in the O.M. under exhaust system maintenance, and a few ca. owners have removed them and say they are resonators,not cats.
I found this in my 03 Ram service manual page 11-2...Mike

The diesel engine exhaust system consists of an engine exhaust manifold, turbocharger, exhaust pipe, resonator, extension pipe (if needed), muffler and exhaust tailpipe. California emission vehicles include a catalytic converter.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:17 AM

Is that computed miles per Canadian gallon or off the computer? You guys need to give it time to break in. If you want to complain about fuel economy from a 7,500 pound truck wait at least 15,000 kilometers. Besides, when you get a new toy your foot is going to be in it until the novelty wears off. FWIW

Casey
Old 03-10-2004, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by SHINDEN
Hi All.

On milege, even dealer was supprised to see this number, so I am doing 600 km test, to double check, if the number is correct or neer correct, truck is going for repairs to Cummins Alberta.

I refuse to take break in issue to this extent, I can undertand 1-2 mpg but not half or 40%, from my experience that is resenable.

Anyone ot there with numbers ???? Coulden't find much on other threads.

Regards Jack
Jack, your absolutely right. I've owned so many CTD's Ive lost count and have never experienced an engine break in that would give a 40 or 50% mileage increase. Experience says you may see a one or two mile increase after about 10K miles.

So, there is either something really wrong with yours or all the 600's, or DC has shot themselves in the foot.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by Mike67RS
I found this in my 03 Ram service manual page 11-2...Mike

The diesel engine exhaust system consists of an engine exhaust manifold, turbocharger, exhaust pipe, resonator, extension pipe (if needed), muffler and exhaust tailpipe. California emission vehicles include a catalytic converter.
Good info Mike,i cant find it any where in my warr info,maint logbook or owners manual though.No page 11-2 in my service manual.Can you post a pic?
Old 03-10-2004, 09:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Fencebuilders
Good info Mike,i cant find it any where in my warr info,maint logbook or owners manual though.No page 11-2 in my service manual.Can you post a pic?
Here you go...I assume you meant the CAT right?
Old 03-10-2004, 10:16 AM

mpg

Hi All.

Dextreme thank you for the number.

Balvert, my foot is very light, I didn't cross 2000rpm for first 1000k
and my toys are my planes, this is calculated mode of locomotion that needs to do its job as my previous one and others did.

Original number is derived from combination of overhead computer, reset many times for different driving conditions, fuel receipts and milage on odometer, all in US galons.

As I said, 600 km test will provide more accurate number.

As to drive it for 15000 km and then check, it will cost me extra $1000 out of my pocket over the milage if DC is prepared to cover it if milage will not improve at 15000 km to where it needs to be in line with everybody else and considerably less then gas job, I would not have any problem with that, but that's unlikely.

My dealer is treting me first class and try to take care of the problem, rather than try to push it on me, there is also other problems with vechicle they might be related, hopefully it will work out I love the truck, it just have to be right or whole experience of heving new Dodge truck will be lost, in my letter to dealer i have includet two weeks time frame to have problems solved, my time is as valuable as theirs and known problems should be corrected at factory or dealership before relese to customer, not when the vechicle gets deliverd to cause problems for customer and dealer together.

Build date 1-29-04

Regards Jack.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mike67RS
Here you go...I assume you meant the CAT right?
I see a few issues with this picture!!!!!

1 - I do not believe that is a diesel cat! Cats work under the principal of high temps which burn unburned fuel. They do this by reaching a 'light off' temp somewhere around 400-600 degrees (I believe). Anything this hot SO CLOSE to the floor board would cook anything above it. So with my reasoning its not a cat. And if it is, DC has got other issues......for not putting some sort of heat shield there and for positioning it so close to the floor board.

2 - What is with the Rusted Driveshaft and yoke??? that is awful! I've never seen a truck rust like that within weeks of delivery. Just another sample of how DC is trying to save money.

3 - 99 cent exhaust clamps! Are you shi*^^^&&*(* me? You spend $45k on a truck and they 'clamp' the exhaust together like some backyard mechanic that just replaced his exhaust using R&S Straus specials??? Again, every car I've seen comes pre-welded from the factory. This prevents leaks and makes sure the exhaust stays where it should......together!

Just my 2 cents
Old 03-10-2004, 11:48 AM

On the Cummins web site it has a topic about MPG. It states that after a break in of 10,000 mi.; mpg MAY increase 2% to 5%. They show that mpg will increase more when your tires are at 50% wear... (I'm not sure but they may be talking about 18 of them).
2500mi
13.5 mpg
Old 03-10-2004, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 to 5%? Lets say it increases 10%. Your 13.5 mpg will jump to a whopping 14.85 mpg. Not really the jump I'd be hoping for!

If these MPG figures are true, I'm going to be REALLY unhappy with my Dodge considering I pull down 45k miles/year.

Old 03-10-2004, 12:01 PM

It definitely is an exhaust catalyst.

Operating temps may be different for diesel cat vs. gasoline close coupled cat.

My 99 driveshaft and yoke look the same way. Had to replace ujoints at 60K. Muffler outlet rusted off at 60K. Installed Gino's muffler elimination kit.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by bigblock2stroke
It definitely is an exhaust catalyst.

Operating temps may be different for diesel cat vs. gasoline close coupled cat.

My 99 driveshaft and yoke look the same way. Had to replace ujoints at 60K. Muffler outlet rusted off at 60K. Installed Gino's muffler elimination kit.
It may be a resonator. On the 2nd gen trucks they had resonators and mufflers. People very often called the resonator a cat. In fact they also said all you have to do is take it off and punch out the center, put it back on and you eliminate the problem.

All the 2nd gen trucks I have had, we took it off and it was simply a resonator.

Are you guys positive this thing is a cat and not just a resonator???
Old 03-10-2004, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by mymaur
It may be a resonator. On the 2nd gen trucks they had resonators and mufflers. People very often called the resonator a cat. In fact they also said all you have to do is take it off and punch out the center, put it back on and you eliminate the problem.

All the 2nd gen trucks I have had, we took it off and it was simply a resonator.

Are you guys positive this thing is a cat and not just a resonator???
Re:Positive cat,not yet but working on it
Old 03-10-2004, 03:29 PM

MINE HAS ABOUT 1400 MILES SO FAR, 13.5 CITY/HIWAY AS HIGH AS 16.5 INTERSTATE RUNNIING 75 TO 80
Old 03-10-2004, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by TURBO98
MINE HAS ABOUT 1400 MILES SO FAR, 13.5 CITY/HIWAY AS HIGH AS 16.5 INTERSTATE RUNNIING 75 TO 80
That is just amazing. THey have really done something to the new motor. THe worst I ever got was 16 city when it was brand new. Never got less than 20 on the highway as long as I stayed at 75 or less, when brand new.

There is no way I am paying the premium price for the diesel to get this kind of mileage. It's ashame, I've been driving these things since 1990.

Quick Reply: M.P.G on New 600