3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

'05 48RE Changes?? Explain the "NO LOCKOUT"

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The older 48RE's had a cable that connected the pedal to the trans. This controled when it shifted.

The '05 has no such cable, the trans now has more/better computer control of when it shifts.

GM and Ford brag about being able to tow in "tow/haul" with the OD engaged. I'd guess Dodge came up with some sort of similar strategy now that they have this better control.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:37 PM

When GM came out with the allison ,you couldnt lockout overdrive eather. The tow haul mode raises the shift points for better towing . After two years GM realised the folly of not being able to lockout overdrive and so in 2003 added the lockout feature to there towhaul mode . So you now have tow haul with 5 gears or tow haul with 4 gears, or no tow haul with 5 gears , in the new allison equipped trucks. Before the lockout was included in the allison it would hunt gears between 4th,(direct dirve) and 5th (overdrive)
I understand that theres no overdrive lockout on the Ford eather.
In 2004 you had a overdrive lockout on the 48re trans. In 2005 they raised the shift points for tow haul but dropped the overdrive lockout feature. Now these trucks are gear hunting when the road conditions are right. The only explanation I'v goten from anyone as to why they'd drop the lockout feature is to save gas. So DC has decided to sacrifice the trans for gas milage?? That doesnt make sence too me at all. They'v ruined a vary good working trailer towing trans by dropping the lockout feature. They try to tell me that the trans is so smart now that it'll always stay where its supposed too. Well all that does is show the ignorance of the person trying to tell you that and its a insult to the intelligence of the person there feeding it to.
This could be made to work if -(when in tow haul )- they had the shift point between 3rd and 4th raised to 65 mph . That way if you needed to stay in third, for certain road conditions, as long as you stayed at 64mph or less it wouldn't shift to overdrive. Now that would work and probably could be accomplished with a reflash of the computer. But nobody seems too interested to try to correct this.
Only thing I know to do is complain to the dealers , try to get them to send the complaints up the ladder to DC. Most dealers dont even know the lockout was removed.!! I for one was in the market for a new 2005 . But DC lost a sale to me just because of this .
Old 03-01-2005, 03:26 PM

Tschwab,

Scroll down on this forum for more about the '05 lock-out. Many questions, but few answers. Not that these people are not trying to get to the bottom of it.

Alan
Old 03-01-2005, 09:00 PM

i dont like vehices that try to out think the driver!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 08:22 PM

Tschwab,
I wasnt stateing that you had to lockout overdrive for towing . Yes this 48re will tow in overdrive. My complaint is there are conditions when you need to lock overdrive out., to elliminate a gear hunting situation. I read the mans responce over on the TDR sight. And believe me I hope hes right. Hes the first person to respond positivly about the 2005 48re. And aparently he's done some towing with it in the mountains . Most of the guys are complaining about the way it works,after they tow a while. One person complained that his shifted about 12 times in a mile pulling 12000 lb trailer, trying to go 40mph on the level coming out of a town. go steady it would go into 4th , step on it just a little and it would downshift to 3rd because 40 is too slow for 4th gear. Then something happens and you let up on throttle and it upshift back to 4th again. He needed to lock out 4th and couldnt.
I would really like to hear from a bunch of travel trailer towers tell me it works great. Because I wana buy one. But not too many people have that much experience with them yet. Good luck with the new truck ,and Tschwab let us know how she works.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:02 PM

i have a 05 and i dont like it. i want to lockout 4th when i want to NOT WHEN THE TRUCK WANTS TO
Old 03-03-2005, 09:45 AM

Dodge gets rid of the OD lockout, and Chevy comes out with the 6-speed allison auto.

Hmm, who is going backwards, and who is going forwards?

I'm a Dodge guy, but where does the sillyness stop? Megacab w/o long bed or dually, now no OD lockout and STILL only 4 gears??

Merrick
Old 03-03-2005, 10:42 AM

I'm sure they'll change it ,but not before enough guys *****. No way is a computer going to get that smart. Computer cant see that grade coming up like the driver . Computer reacts to the throttle position, same as all autos have for years. push on throttle ( make load) trans will downshift, let up on throttle ( eliminate load) and trans will upshift. Computer cant tell that theres a big hill 200 ft in front of you and it should stay in third. All this hype about the computer being smarter then the driver, is really cutting the driver down. Its a insult to a good drivers inteligence.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:51 PM

OK you guys, just set the cruz at about 68mph and let the computer do it's thing. For most hills the computer will take care of things Just give it a chance trust me
Old 03-04-2005, 09:12 AM

SUPERJEWL,
Obviously you have never pulled a 11,000 lb travel trailer up a 10% grade that was 20 miles from bottom to top. A grade like that is never a steady grade , its up and down and curvy. And you wouldnt run it with the cruz on at all. And that computer would have your trans just a hopping trying to figger which gear to get into next. And there would be a good chance if you just left it in drive, that youed take the torque converter out in that 20 mi stretch. Thats the reason so many people have problems with the autos. You gotta drive it and you gotta be able to manually controle the gear selection.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:09 PM

If someone is so concerned about gear selections, they should buy a stick. Everyone knows that a manual is the optimal setup for towing. Autos are always some sort of compromise. I tow #9000 tag along trailer. I recently sold my 99 5speed (towed great) and bought a 05' auto. I know I will not have nearly as much control (gear selections, surprise downshifts, little engine breaking) as my old truck, but I only tow about 10% of the time with this truck so I was willing to COMPROMISE this control for the convience of auto 90% of the time. Towing heavy loads regularly = Manual.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:03 AM

these people have no idea what where talking about

Quick Reply: '05 48RE Changes?? Explain the "NO LOCKOUT"