Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Loud Chirp when shut'n down? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/loud-chirp-when-shutn-down-71001/)

toddc 06-22-2005 09:32 AM

Loud Chirp when shut'n down?

04.5, I sometimes get a loud "chirp" sound when I shut the engine off?
Sounds like a pressure release or something?
Is this normal?

dezlsmkr 06-22-2005 09:36 AM

I am not sure about that year but i have heard a million of them do that. My ol 98 24v used to do it everytime. I dont think it is nothing to worry about.

12vordie 06-22-2005 09:38 AM

Mine is a 97' compared to your 04.5 but the problem is the same on all years, from people have noticed and the best explination anyone can come up with is that when you shut the engine off the crank pully suddenly stops whilt the rest of the the pullys such as alt., a/c, still have a little momentum behind them so they still turn a little bit, it is normal for your truck to make that noise, they all make it.

toddc 06-22-2005 09:54 AM

Thanks, I thought i might be blow'n something????

widelod 06-22-2005 10:23 AM

I recalling seeing my owner's manual mentioning that also.....

P.J 06-22-2005 10:43 AM

I have yet to see a second Gen that doesn't do it.
For a while after I bought my truck family members would tell me "man, you better get those "belts" checked" I researched it here and found that diesel engines shut down rather quickly, leaving the accesories still spinning (as per the previous posts).
Nothing to worry about.

HOHN 06-22-2005 05:01 PM

It's normal, as others mentioned.

It has a lot to do with the heavy crankshaft and very high compression. My 24V doesn't chirp, but most CTDs do it-- no matter the year.

Some belt dressing may help a bit. Maybe that's why I don't have it? I dunno.

dgm 06-22-2005 07:46 PM

It happens A LOT less, at least with mine, when I shut off the A/C or Defrost a minute or two before shut down. It rarely, if at all ever does the CHIRP when I do this. However, when I don't do this, I get the CHIRP almost every single time.

-daniel

moterhead 06-22-2005 09:22 PM

I agree with dgm, it's most likely the ac compressor doing the chirping. Hit that ac off button right before you turn off the engine & it won't happen (as often). Better for starting to not have the ac on anway. JOIBO!

TexasCTD 06-23-2005 04:27 AM

Don't worry about it. It is normal. Mine does it almost every single time even when I turn off the A/C etc. I just checked my serpentine belt today and it looked great.

The high compression engine is shutting down suddenly and the accessories are continuing to turn for a quick "chirp". I would be more worried if mine didn't do it at this point because it is just part of the Cummins nature.

planetdell 06-24-2005 05:27 PM

Mine stopped doing it after I had the original belt replaced when it started fraying.

blackdevil 06-24-2005 11:47 PM

mine only does it when my chip throws a coad, once i clear it it doesnt do it. so i dunno if its normal, but if your stock then yea i would say its normal

hammerjammer 06-25-2005 10:03 PM

The 05's chirp some .before the belt tensioner pulley shoots a crap and destroys the serpentine belt,usually with-in the first few thousnand miles but its not just at shut-down,you'll hear it intermittently while drivng.

wannadiesel 06-25-2005 10:32 PM

Originally posted by HOHN
It's normal, as others mentioned.

It has a lot to do with the heavy crankshaft and very high compression. My 24V doesn't chirp, but most CTDs do it-- no matter the year.

Some belt dressing may help a bit. Maybe that's why I don't have it? I dunno.

Manual trans trucks rarely chirp. The heavy flywheel keeps the engine spinning a little longer.

wexman 06-26-2005 10:15 AM

The 05's chirp some .before the belt tensioner pulley shoots a crap and destroys the serpentine belt,usually with-in the first few thousnand miles but its not just at shut-down,you'll hear it intermittently while drivng
Every couple weeks one of these threads comes up. Most of us 3rd-genners who have had our factory belt shred within the first few thousand miles (mine went at 5400) had these things in common:

1. VERY loud chirping on shutdown (my PSD chirped, but never that loud)
2. Little or no warning when the belt went
3. Dealers who were clueless as to WHY (most of us did not have bad tensioners or pullies diagnosed)
4. Replacement belts that almost never chirps (my replacement only chirps ocassionally, and not very loudly)

Yes, some chirp is NORMAL on these engines. However, 04.5-and-up owners whose belts chirp VERY loudly every shutdown, I would keep a close eye on that belt.

My $0.02.