3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

a little long but, could really use some tech help.........

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smokeman
Do you mean your smarty is reading a code about #4 injector misfire? Are you sure it is oil dumping out your exhaust and not diesel fuel with soot in it?
Good point Smokeman...it could very well be diesel mixed with soot?????
he needs to smell it and find out........
Old 06-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 ******
Good point Smokeman...it could very well be diesel mixed with soot?????
he needs to smell it and find out........
Nope, it's oil. When installing the new turbo and manifold, I also changed the oil and put in 14 qts. The dipstick was were it should be.

After cranking it to see how the install went, the oil started flowing again. I gave up... this was about 10 last night.

This morning I checked the oil level and there was nothing on the stick. So, I put some more in, let it idle for a while and got a temp gun out.

#4 cylinder got up to temp like the rest only a little slower. It also only had a 5 to 10 degree different in temp but then, so did #1 I'm guessing it was little slower to raise and stayed a little cooler because of the oil flowing through it.

The way it runs right now though, I find it hard to believe it's the piston. It really doesn't run that bad ( just a rough idle ) and I'm guessing if the piston was shot.... it'd be telling by more than oil coming out or not even be running.

I've gotten many opinions on this and I'd like to thank you 53 and everyone else who tried to help.

Right now my options are pulling #4 injector and using a scope or just pulling the head. There's definitely a problem and I'm going to change the injectors so, I might as well pull the head.

I did find out a new motor is cheaper than rebuilding one and the cost really isn't as bad as you might think. I'd prefer not to have to go that route though.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by king d
were in nc are you located?
western NC an hour south of Asheville.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Sounds like at the very least you cracked some piston rings, how is the crank vent tube? more than the normal amount of oil dripping from it, or is there no blow by/oil coming from it? With the engine running hold a clean rag over the crank vent tube for a minute or so. Post what you find.

Tim
Oil isn't really coming out there. just a little white smoke.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Smokeman
Do you mean your smarty is reading a code about #4 injector misfire? Are you sure it is oil dumping out your exhaust and not diesel fuel with soot in it?
Smarty read the code set by the ECM. I cleared it and it came back. I cleared it again and it hasn't come back.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 8mpg
Im absolutely no help with diagnostics...but here is a link to an injector install

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/im...ectInstall.pdf
Wow ! I didn't realize Richard had that on his site. That's a big help.... thanks ! DDP's instructions are pretty scary
Old 06-12-2007, 06:19 PM

how hot did it get????egts???
you said you put 14qts in and fired it up and by the morn it would not show on the dip stick???
Old 06-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

how hot did it get????egts???
you said you put 14qts in and fired it up and by the morn it would not show on the dip stick???
On the track I ran it to 1600 for a couple seconds. Not good I know but, I figured if I lost anything it was going to be the turbo not a fricken cylinder.

I changed and fill up the oil when I replaced the turbo. I ran the truck for a little while after the install and saw the oil starting to leak out of the exhaust again so I shut it down.

This morning I checked the oil again and it didn't show on the stick. Obviously, a lot of oil was being pumped right out into the exhaust.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:57 PM

based on this new info, I guess headgasket.....or something with the valves......

I don't have much experience with dropped valve seals on diesels but would oil in the exhaust ports be a sign of this?????? seem like it would??
any of you drop valve seal guys out there have symptoms like this???

I wish you would have fired it up with out the turbo and exhaust man on so you could seen if it was all the cylinders or just #4.......

I am no expert just trying to help........
Old 06-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Banned

based on this new info, I guess headgasket.....or something with the valves......

I don't have much experience with dropped valve seals on diesels but would oil in the exhaust ports be a sign of this?????? seem like it would??
any of you drop valve seal guys out there have symptoms like this???

I wish you would have fired it up with out the turbo and exhaust man on so you could seen if it was all the cylinders or just #4.......

I am no expert just trying to help........

And I do appreciate the help. I know you wanted to know how it did with the manifold off.

I did do that but, from what I know about motors, that's a for sure way to burn a valve.

It seemed fine when I cranked it with out the manifold. All 6 cylinders were firing and seem to have good compression. None smoked but, oil started to come out of #4.

I cleaned it out as good as i could, installed the manifold and turbo then started it again. The oil kept coming... this time in the exhaust.

My hopes aren't real high that it's nothing more than a HG or injector. I am putting feelers out for a new motor. Apparently, that would be cheaper than a rebuild.

If I do get a new one.... it's gonna be built to the hilt from the inside out. Maybe that will get me down the track a couple more times
Old 06-12-2007, 08:48 PM

eclipse baby
Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 PM

I'm betting on a cracked/holed piston.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
And I do appreciate the help. I know you wanted to know how it did with the manifold off.

I did do that but, from what I know about motors, that's a for sure way to burn a valve.

It seemed fine when I cranked it with out the manifold. All 6 cylinders were firing and seem to have good compression. None smoked but, oil started to come out of #4.

I cleaned it out as good as i could, installed the manifold and turbo then started it again. The oil kept coming... this time in the exhaust.

My hopes aren't real high that it's nothing more than a HG or injector. I am putting feelers out for a new motor. Apparently, that would be cheaper than a rebuild.

If I do get a new one.... it's gonna be built to the hilt from the inside out. Maybe that will get me down the track a couple more times

I guarantee you wont burn a hole in your valve by running it with the manifold off for a few mins......

good luck with your problem
let us know what you find...
Old 06-13-2007, 11:08 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well any news??
Old 06-13-2007, 11:49 AM

Sounds like a hole in the piston.

Quick Reply: a little long but, could really use some tech help.........