3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I think I just got had on my 04.5 purchase, please help!!! Carrollton, TX

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ebay's Insurance company just got ahold of me today and gave me 2 options. They will either buy the truck from me or do a settlement on part of the repair bill.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates?
Old 05-01-2011, 02:29 PM

owners

In Texas the dealer has to give you the owners name and address if he has it. You can get all the paper work and go to the DMV yourself and then he has to have the title so then you can see who had it. It is the law there.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Racing_Joe66
Ebay's Insurance company just got ahold of me today and gave me 2 options. They will either buy the truck from me or do a settlement on part of the repair bill.
Joe, as a friend telling you this although we never met, sell the truck back to them. Start fresh and find you a different good truck. If you buy from a dealer, tell them you are going to take it to your own diesel technician to do an inspection etc. If they have nothing to hide, they won't give you any slack. I had many customers want to check the vehicles I sold to them out first and I encourage them to do so. That way if anything did go wrong down the road after they had it for awhile, they couldn't come back on me.

In one of your post about the report you found, sounds to me like the dealer had the judge in his pocket. If that is the case, it's amazing how people will do anything for money and push the principal out, but when it happens to them, then they talk about principal. lol
Old 09-05-2011, 02:38 PM

updates??
Old 09-07-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking the guy took the buyout from ebay. From what he posted I don't think his case is as good as he thinks it is. He claims it is a salvaged truck because the dealer bought it from a salvage yard, but unless the truck was "totaled" by an insurance company, it won't have a "salvaged" title and is not salvaged by definition. There is nothing wrong with a salvage yard buying used vehicles, fixing them, and selling them. It is done all over the place. I suspect that's why the buyer's feedback was removed by ebay.

As for other complaints against the dealer, all car dealers have a long history of complaints against them. If they just have a couple minor adverse actions, that's probably because that's just what they were - minor infractions. If there is no major action against them, it's probably because there aren't any major violations, at least in a case where the dealer has been around a long time.

The issue of the dealer trying to avoid sales taxes, I think is probably a misunderstanding. When I was in Texas, the buyer paid the sales taxes when the vehicle was registered. That may be why the dealer didn't provide the title to the buyer's sister. The Buyer was supposed to pay sales tax to the State of Texas, unless he is a dealer. There's no free lunch anymore for buying from out of state. Texas put a stop to that back in about 1990.

Sounds to me like the dealer and buyer were both being ornery and trying to get the best of each other. Get the last laugh, so to speak. If the truck is not what you thought it was, take a reasonable discount or give the truck back and count yourself lucky. I think both these guys have unnecessarily dragged this out and made a mess of it.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:26 PM

The Buyer was supposed to pay sales tax to the State of Texas, unless he is a dealer. There's no free lunch anymore for buying from out of state. Texas put a stop to that back in about 1990.
That's not correct. My son came from Kansas and purchased a truck from Vernon Dodge, Vernon, Tx. Since the vehicle was to be titled in Kansas no sales tax was collected in Texas.

I think what you are remembering Texas used to collect the sales tax and send it to Kansas for example. That stopped because in many States sales tax is not consistent throughout the State and varies by county.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:01 PM

Yeah. That's probably right. I just remember that Texas felt like they were losing a lot of revenue by folks driving up to NM to buy cars and avoiding sales tax, so they changed things and made people pay the sales tax when they got their Tx title and registration. TX reciprocated to states on sales taxes by collecting sales tax on out of state purchasers at the point of purchase. I guess they must have quit the reciprocation thing.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:09 PM

Yeah. That's probably right. I just remember that Texas felt like they were losing a lot of revenue by folks driving up to NM to buy cars and avoiding sales tax, so they changed things and made people pay the sales tax when they got their Tx title and registration. TX reciprocated to states on sales taxes by collecting sales tax on out of state purchasers at the point of purchase. I guess they must have quit the reciprocation thing.

Thing I see with Racing_Joe is that he's trying to punish the dealer, rather than just clearing things up. He's trying to get the dealer to pay for a brand new (fresh rebuilt) engine and put it into a truck he knew had 250K miles on it when he bought it. If it were me, I'd be happy if the dealer would pay half the cost of a rebuilt engine, say $3500 or so, or just get my money back. From what I've read, Joe is trying to get the Dealer to pay over $6500, when he only paid $8500 for the truck. The dealer has offered to take the truck back and ebay has offered to pay for the truck as well. Why isn't Joe happy with that? Because he likes the truck? I'm thinking Joe knows he got a smokin' deal and is trying to make it even better by getting a new engine in it.

You have to be reasonable if you want folks to be reasonable with you.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:36 PM

Thing I see with Racing_Joe is that he's trying to punish the dealer, rather than just clearing things up. He's trying to get the dealer to pay for a brand new (fresh rebuilt) engine and put it into a truck he knew had 250K miles on it when he bought it. If it were me, I'd be happy if the dealer would pay half the cost of a rebuilt engine, say $3500 or so, or just get my money back. From what I've read, Joe is trying to get the Dealer to pay over $6500, when he only paid $8500 for the truck. The dealer has offered to take the truck back and ebay has offered to pay for the truck as well. Why isn't Joe happy with that? Because he likes the truck? I'm thinking Joe knows he got a smokin' deal and is trying to make it even better by getting a new engine in it.

You have to be reasonable if you want folks to be reasonable with you.
I agree 100%

and I would never buy a truck sight unseen and have someone else pick it up for me or have it shipped to me
Old 10-03-2011, 09:46 PM
9MM
Banned

Any luck?