Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   I talked to commercial dealer and.... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/i-talked-commercial-dealer-133249/)

DJA 01-21-2007 03:41 PM

I talked to commercial dealer and....

He said that the new 6.7 Cummins was going to NOT have the ability to be bombed without voiding the warranty. And that the breathing part has to be a 7micron filter NO LESS. or Cummins will void the engine. I am a big believer that an air pump has to suck and blow and it seems that Dodge and Cummins want everthing to stay stock. Just wondered if anyone knows the real strory.
Thanks for any info.
DJ

C Schomer 01-21-2007 05:30 PM

Only time will tell! This will be a BIG challenge for the box developers. They eventually figured out the 600. I bet the 6.7 takes them at least twice as long, tho. Craig

erics76 01-21-2007 05:42 PM

The dealer is right about bombing the engine and possibly voiding the warranty. That is the case with the 5.9 too. If the dealer can prove the items added to the engine, or any part of the vehicle for that matter, caused the part to break, the part will not be warrantied. There's nothing new about that. Of course there's a lot of differences between dealers. I believe the 7 micron filter he's refering to is the fuel filter. I believe DC changed the filter specs on the newer models from 10 to 7 microns recently.

Peterbilt 01-22-2007 12:01 PM

Sadly, they are all getting bad. If you have a GM, you can even go one size larger on tires. Ford is as bad or worse than DC.

Pete

SOhappy 01-22-2007 07:11 PM

Call me old fashioned...

but with 350hp/650ft lbs (or whatever it ends up being) WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO BOMB IT????

dadwolf2 01-22-2007 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by erics76 (Post 1312021)
The dealer is right about bombing the engine and possibly voiding the warranty. That is the case with the 5.9 too. If the dealer can prove the items added to the engine, or any part of the vehicle for that matter, caused the part to break, the part will not be warrantied. There's nothing new about that. Of course there's a lot of differences between dealers. I believe the 7 micron filter he's refering to is the fuel filter. I believe DC changed the filter specs on the newer models from 10 to 7 microns recently.

I agree that bombing the 5.9 will possibly void the warranty and that it depends on the particular dealer. The day I bought my truck the dealer was telling me what shop installed BullyDog and other aftermarket parts to really wake up my truck. And on display at the dealership is a lifted truck with bigger wheels/tires and probably more parts that I didn't see. My truck is pretty much stock.

derek.mckay 01-22-2007 09:49 PM

The reason that you will void your warranty with 07' and newer vehicles is because you will alter the EGRs performance and hence make the vehicle no longer emissions legal, so to speak. 06' and older vehicles don't have any emissions restrictions on them, but if you so much as put a TIP on a Ford's OEM exhaust, you void your warranty with them because you are altering the way that it deals with emissions, they claim. Of course, you can void your warranty on the 07's and newer with boxes just like you can on the 5.9 because there is the possibility of causing failure, but they are looking MUCH closer at whether or not you are adding to the already existing polution by taking the OEM exhaust and such off the new trucks.

Derek

BigDave12768 01-23-2007 02:18 AM

Well I think if the 6.7 can not be bombed or modified. The D in DTR may change to Duramax Truck Resource. The D-max may not be able to pull like a CTD but they are quick and can be bombed. Plus they have a decent tranny. But I love my Dodge

kry226 01-23-2007 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by derek.mckay (Post 1314515)
The reason that you will void your warranty with 07' and newer vehicles is because you will alter the EGRs performance and hence make the vehicle no longer emissions legal, so to speak. 06' and older vehicles don't have any emissions restrictions on them, Derek

Not to sharp-shoot, but the cat has been standard since 04.5. That's why I bought an 04.

derek.mckay 01-23-2007 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by kry226 (Post 1314909)
Not to sharp-shoot, but the cat has been standard since 04.5. That's why I bought an 04.

you know what I'm saying, man...I removed my cat all together, so I guess that i'm out of 04.5-06 regulations, but if you alter the exhaust in ANY way on the 07' and up, you void your warranty...I mean, they are going to MAKE upgrades regardless, you just have to decide if it will be worth it before you warranty expires is all...

Derek

BigDave12768 01-23-2007 01:45 PM

Every 10 years or so the auto industry throws a curve ball at all the performance companies and then claims they can not be messed with with out voiding warranty. Then these large companies like Banks and MBRP sink tons of money into R&D and figure out how to make it wok with out causing huge emissions issues and keep the motor with in factory specs (rail pressures and such) while adding HP. So just becuase we have no mods for the 07 6.7 I would think by 08 their wil be a handfull of programmers. Plus exhaust systems. Think about it. You want a free'r flow exhaust while still keeping your truck emissions legal. They will just make larger partical filters that will flow faster and still run clean. Plus you can get bigger injectors for hp. Just keep in mind that back in the early 70' when they took away leaded gas and the end of the muscle cars came about. But now you can get 500hp Mustangs that are emissions legal and faster than the old ones and get better mileage. So I for one am not worried

rockcrawler304 01-23-2007 05:17 PM

Well said. And just like the cat on a gasser, you can buy an aftermarket one that will outflow a stocker and still pass emissions. I am sure the same things will be out for the 6.7's in the very near future. And of course if you replace the exhaust system for a better one that flows better you are not worried about the warranty for the exhaust system. Also, if the parts are all CARB legal they could not void any other part of the warranty either IIRC.