3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How Important is the Anti Spin Axle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Important is the Anti Spin Axle?

I ordered a 2004 - 2500 QC Cummins HO/48re Laramie in July. It is due to arrive this week and I have noticed that the equipment list the dealer provided me doesn't include the anti spin axle. I'm sure I discussed this with the dealer, but somehow we both missed it. I live on the Canadian prairies, with Minnesota like driving conditions in the winter.

There is another truck on the lot with what appears to be similar specs to mine (don't know about the axle though), but without the trailer tow mirrors. Assuming it has the anti slip, it is expensive to swap the mirrors? This might be the most reasonable solution.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:47 AM
ck1

Re:How Important is the Anti Spin Axle?

well...I have a Dually and I am glad I have the anti spin option...it works flawlesly....no clunking,chattering etc that you get with the the clutch type of design...worth it and changing of the mirrors is easy but the dealer gets a premium for them....
my two cents
Cameron
Old 09-16-2003, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say if you got 4x4 and don't plan on a lot of offroading, the limited slip diff isn't that important. If you got 2wd and drive in a lot of snow, I'd probably want it...

I believe the mirrors are swappable.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:30 AM

Anti Spin Update:

I spoke to the dealer this morning. The truck I saw on their lot last night (at first I thought it was mine) is almost identical to the one I ordered and has an anti spin axle. It has some additional equipment though: Side Air Bag, 6 Disc in Dash CD (which is an option in Canada) and the Protection Package (skid plates??). In 2003 a transfer case skid plate was standard in Canada with the Laramie package, but I guess it is an option in '04. The truck also has the optional "chrome" 17" wheels (I believe these are standard in the US models with the Laramie package).

The dealer has agreed to sell me the truck on the lot and make some changes to it. He will take the trailer tow mirrors off the truck I ordered when it comes in and swap them to the truck I will be buying. He is also going to swap the chrome wheels on the truck with some cast aluminum wheels they have on a 2004 SLT on their lot.

All I have to pay for is the extra options I didn't originally order (plus the cost of the anti slip, of course).

This dealer works pretty hard to keep their customers happy. I'm sure it helps that my company buys fleet vehicles from them.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:31 AM

Importance is in the eye of the beholder. I, myself would not purchase a vehicle that did not have a limited slip rear. If it keeps me from getting stuck 1 time, it's worth every penny to me. Other's I know could care less about having it. BTW, did you know on a 4X4 without the limited slip rear is really a 2X4 (1 front and 1 rear)? and on a 2WD vehicle, without it, you only end up with 1 driving wheel? It's simplified but that what you end up getting.

Old 09-16-2003, 10:54 AM

[quote author=Crabjoe link=board=20;threadid=19729;start=0#msg185378 date=1063726302]
Importance is in the eye of the beholder. I, myself would not purchase a vehicle that did not have a limited slip rear. If it keeps me from getting stuck 1 time, it's worth every penny to me. Other's I know could care less about having it. BTW, did you know on a 4X4 without the limited slip rear is really a 2X4 (1 front and 1 rear)? and on a 2WD vehicle, without it, you only end up with 1 driving wheel? It's simplified but that what you end up getting.

[/quote]

Actually I did know about the one front, one rear wheel operation without ASD when in 4WD. It was what was bothering me when I realized that the truck I ordered didn't have an ASD. With the P/T four wheel drive system these trucks have, if you drive in 4HI on mixed icy/dry surfaces, you can feel the transfer case "binding up" while turning, etc.

Without ASD, I figured that traction on mixed surfaces would be poor, necessitating the use of 4WD and having to remember to keep turning it off once on dry pavement. I could picture myself pulling up to a stoplight in winter when the road is icy at the intersection, putting it into 4WD to get moving, then shutting it off while driving on the unslippery surfaces. What a pain!

In any event, it seems I can have a truck with the ASD, so everything seems to have worked out in the end.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:27 PM

Hi folks, I had the LSD on my wish list when the dealer was doing a search, and as it turns out I ended up making a deal on a truck without the LSD. Is it possible to have the factory LSD installed now ? Or would I have to install a locker like a Powertrax or Detroit ?
Old 09-17-2003, 01:59 PM

Wild4stang,

I can't imagine why you can't get one installed now. All it takes is money.

Old 09-17-2003, 02:24 PM

on living w/o LS: a 4WD truck with both diffs open is only 2WD when you're stuck.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:33 PM

when i was looking in february,i found one i really wanted but no limited slip.i need it because i live on a farm with lots of mud and snow.i looked elsewhere and did buy one with the limited slip rear end.that was my #1 option other than the cummins.they said it would be about $1500.00 to install the factory unit.i dont even know if there is an aftermarket one available yet.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It makes more sense to me to have all that torque split between BOTH rear wheels instead of one. The mirror swap should be no problem; all the wiring is there anyway.
Greg
Old 09-19-2003, 09:04 AM

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm picking my new truck up later this morning (with the anti spin and trailer tow mirror options). If anyone is interested 9and I can figure it out), I'll post some pictures.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:00 AM

I posted this on TDR yesterday:

"I just checked with reiderracing.com, and they are a American Axel dealer. They said that as of today, no one makes an after market LSD or locker for the AAM 11.5 axel.

The good news is that soon (6 to 8 weeks or so) the factory LSD's will be available for sale... They would not quote pricing, but they mentioned in the $500 range....

Stay tuned..."

Garnet red 03 3500 SLT: QC,4x4,DRW,LWB,3:73's, Polished fuel door, MPC eliminator pipe, AFE Megacannon Intake with Proguard series 7 filter, Isspro Marine EV gauges.

Old 09-19-2003, 11:43 PM

http://www.americanaxle.com/technolo...d_dl_diff.html
Old 09-20-2003, 09:59 AM

Ok, so which system does the AAM 11.5 axle use when we get the factory LSD?

Quick Reply: How Important is the Anti Spin Axle?