Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   How can I tell if my cat died? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/how-can-i-tell-if-my-cat-died-204440/)

Ram Guy 05-11-2008 04:10 PM

How can I tell if my cat died?

The sound of my truck has changed somewhat...Not engine noise but exhaust noise.It sounds like it is 'working' when driving it (:rolleyes:this doesn't even make sense to me).I don't have a gauge for Ex temp so is there a way I could tell if my CAT is plugging up?

Dodgezilla 05-11-2008 05:06 PM

He will usually be laying on his side with his tongue hanging out of his mouth. He will be kind of stiff too if he's been dead for a while....

Seriously though, I think if the cat was clogged your truck would run like crap....

madhat 05-11-2008 05:22 PM

I did not think that an 03 had a cat... I could be totally wrong, tho...

chipmonk 05-11-2008 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla (Post 2078458)
He will usually be laying on his side with his tongue hanging out of his mouth. He will be kind of stiff too if he's been dead for a while....

beat me to it! you gotta be quick around here.

snoyes 05-11-2008 05:33 PM

I agree, didn't think the 03 had a Cat unless it was a Cali edition? And Dodgezilla beat us all on the dead cat joke....

exolent 05-11-2008 05:34 PM

Possible that the truck has just broken in? Ive heard around that noises change etc when everything finally settles and its broken in

87BRGN 05-11-2008 05:46 PM

Check for exhaust leaks. with the truck idleing, start at the turbo and work your way back. especially around the muffler. My bro in laws 04 had a odd exhaust note, turned out to be the muffler was starting to get a rust hole in the bottom front of it. Like the others said no cat on yours.

Dave

SjLingenfelter 05-11-2008 06:43 PM

2003s dont have cats for sure unless cali edition

Dodgezilla 05-11-2008 06:59 PM

Yup the Cali edition had a CAT and I remember reading that one of the New England states also got the Cali SO. His truck is an SO too.

I know one thing. My 03 sounded much different at 75000 miles than it did when new. It was much louder and better sounding.....

Oh, one more thing. Yes you must be quick around here. I am the master...;)

Ram Guy 05-12-2008 01:58 AM

Yeah!!!I sure wish I would have looked first...No cat!I just assumed that it had one.However,it still sounds like it is possibly laboring a little more than usual.Maybe I'm just parinoid.I will start looking for exhaust leaks.If all else fails I could just go buy a cat and have it killed.

Jim Lane 05-12-2008 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ram Guy (Post 2078394)
The sound of my truck has changed somewhat...Not engine noise but exhaust noise.It sounds like it is 'working' when driving it (:rolleyes:this doesn't even make sense to me).I don't have a gauge for Ex temp so is there a way I could tell if my CAT is plugging up?

You don’t have a Pyrometer? [nonono][nonono] Rule #1

I only have a 1st... Gen but if the cat was blocked it would have excessive backpressure and would probably be making wheezing or a sick chirping sound from the turbo since it would be trying to stuff air into someplace it couldn't go. If it was completely blocked the truck would barely rev or even run and you could possibly blow your muffler or cat off while trying.
I have had cat's plug up to this point on gassers when the internals collapse because they by nature get extremely hot.

Probably the easiest way to check if it is blocked is to crawl under and disconnect the head pipe and then start the truck, you could tell if it was blocked but not just sounding different, checking the backpressure would do that.
You are not hearing the turbo whine are you?

Also to my experience the best way to find if you cat has died is if in about 3 days you can stand it back up and it stays there.
Jim

haftrek 05-12-2008 05:15 AM

I was not aware that you could buy a Dodge with a cat. I thought thwy only came with a Cummins.[coffee]

Jim Lane 05-12-2008 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by haftrek (Post 2079052)
I was not aware that you could buy a Dodge with a cat. I thought thwy only came with a Cummins.[coffee]

I hope were in reference to a Catalytic Converter and not a yellow Caterpillar if not oops.
Jim