3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hard to get into park,,,cable adjustment???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 03:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hard to get into park,,,cable adjustment???

I just installed a new valve body. Now I have a hard time getting it to lock into park solidly,,,if that make's sense. Sometime it work's great, sometime's not. Let's just say I don't trust it.

I looked, but couldn't see anyway to adjust the cable. I did notice that just before I put the valve body in, it was having a hard time going into low 1. Now I'm at the other end of the spectrum. Any idea's. Thank's.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The adjustment is under the steering column inside the cab. Pull the lower cover off the steering column. Search out and find the gear selector cable. There is a white plastic clip that pulls out of the larger end of the shift cable. Gently remove the white clip. Put gear selector lever in park. Climb under truck and place transmission gear selector in park. Replace white clip & you're done.
I ran into the same deal when I beefed my valve body.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:12 PM

Thank's for the tip. I knew that sounded familar, but didn't know that was the park adjustment.

Here's a link to the complete proceedure to adjust shift cable, and park release mechanism. Post # 9.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ble+adjustment
Old 12-23-2007, 10:57 PM

Just to be on the safe side, They have a reflash for this neat little alarm that will go off when your not in park all the way. Very, very well designed set up. Just ask your local dealer to install it for you. Wont take but 20mins.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:53 PM

You need to adjust the cable on the trans mount since you changed the VB. Loosen it, then take a pry bar and push it back more. This is quite common on the 3rd gens.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by AirGrabber
Just to be on the safe side, They have a reflash for this neat little alarm that will go off when your not in park all the way. Very, very well designed set up. Just ask your local dealer to install it for you. Wont take but 20mins.
Ya,,,I think I remember that now that you mention it. I might have to check into that.

Originally Posted by Fred Swanson
You need to adjust the cable on the trans mount since you changed the VB. Loosen it, then take a pry bar and push it back more. This is quite common on the 3rd gens.
There is no adjustment at the trans end. The proper adjustment is under the steering colum. I don't think I want to use a pry bar. All though part of the reason I changed the vb was because I couldn't get the tv cable to adjust right. I've made it as short as it will go, and it's just a little bit too long. I think they streached it when they rebuilt the trani. Maybe I could put a twist in the bracket. Just doesn't seem right to use a pry bar on something.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:05 PM

It's a simple adjustment on the bracket for the cable attached to the trans. Not saying your going to break anything. It happens all the time, and just trying to show it's a simple fix.

There's a tab on the trans casing that fits perfect for making this adjustment with a small prybar or screwdriver. Takes all of 10 minutes to do.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:56 PM

So I adjusted the gear selector and replaced the neutral safety switch. Now it goes into park but I'm running high rpms from first gear to second gear. (Going into second is worse). If I let off she gears properly. All other gears work fine. But I did notice that she doesnt sit into first gear on the gear selector and is kind of touchy when going into drive, sometimes she goes into second. 06 ram 2500 cummins, 48RE. Any thoughts before she goes to the doctor