Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   H2O draining (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/h2o-draining-52038/)

RoadDawg 10-02-2004 10:41 AM

H2O draining

how often and I guess you do this with the engine off?? Do ya just move the yellow lever and watch what comes out?? I guess you should catch it in a container or something?? I dont know much about the CTD engine it is my first. About the fuel filter I am guessing it is a cartridge that you remove from the filter holder?? is that correct?? thanks for the help:D

Sorehead 10-02-2004 05:14 PM

I drain mine just occasionally. But I always fuel at the same place. (lot's of truck traffic there) The top of the cannister screws off. I change mine about every 10K. Get them at a cummin's dealership. About $11.

Nevada 10-02-2004 06:39 PM

I do it about every 100 gallons of fuel. I've never found any evidence of water yet. The filters are easy to change. I do it every oil change which is more often than is required. Get yourself a six point 1-1/8" socket to remove the top of the filter housing. The filter snaps into the lid, there is also an o-ring to change. The new o-ring you need will be packaged with the filter, lube it with diesel before putting it on the lid. Check the filter bowl for dirt/water and re-assemble with new filter. Turn the key from off to on without cranking the engine, listen for the lift pump to cycle, repeat a few times and you are good to go.

Buy your filters from Geno's or your local Cummins dealer, NOT your local Dodge dealer.

Party on RoadDawg.

blownaway 10-02-2004 11:11 PM

I never drain the water, and I change the fuel filter every 10,000 miles or so. I've got over 10,000 on this filter right now and my last tank was 19.6 MPG. Guess my station has clean diesel. I am too cheap and busy to change a fuel filter every oil change, seems excessive.

J BODY 10-03-2004 12:00 AM

I never drain either and change the fuel filter every 15-20K. When I change filters I drain the filter canister and clean it out with brake clean and a lint free box-o-rags I have. Little touches like that is why CTD owners request me to work on their trucks.

SuperGewl 10-03-2004 02:23 AM

You don't have to drain the fuel filter housing unless the the water in fuel lamp comes on, however that might be too late. I useally do it about once every 3-4 months if I think about it. THe only problem is getting to it is a long reach. Yes you do it with the engine shutdown. IF you open it while running you will just be pumping fuel out on the ground and starve the engine.

:cool:

Ray Roton 10-03-2004 02:50 PM

I drain mine every couple of months just to be safe. As far as I can tell, there is never any water in there.
As for the filter, I change it every other oil change.
I do think it is a good idea to carry a spare fuel filter in the truck, just in case you get some bad fuel.

Peterbilt 10-04-2004 11:08 AM

I drain every few tanks or so when I buy fuel and like others found no water yet. If I do it at home I use a pan. Not good for driveway. The manual says to do it sooner.

When you change your fuel filter don't overtiighten the cap. In small print on the cap is say tighten to 25 ft-pds MAXIMUM. I think I did mine at about 20 ft/pds.

Pete

KE5CAK

Smith60 10-04-2004 06:15 PM

Etch or mark the fuel filter housing and lid and it will save the guess work of torqueing the lid.

kimber 10-05-2004 08:12 AM

[i]
Buy your filters from Geno's or your local Cummins dealer, NOT your local Dodge dealer.

[/B]
I went to the dealer for the first filter.....said he'd give me a deal since it was the first. 10% discount and only charged me $36 ......the next 2 filters combined didn't cost me that much

Lightman 10-05-2004 08:23 AM

You guys won't find any water because the factory fuel filter setup is almost completely ineffective in removing water. Water is present in all diesel fuel. Unless you get a really big slug of water, it won't stop anything and the light won't come on. There's really no reason to drain it aside from when changing fuel filters.

Learjockey 10-05-2004 09:23 AM

I ran a longer tube to the front area close to behind my bumper and wire tied it along the way. There is a procedure in the factory manual but, not in the owners manual to "sump" the filter without draining or removing it by turning on the key AFTER STARTUP- AND A SHUT DOWN and letting the lift pump, pump for some time in seconds, supply fuel to the filter and then letting it drain under pressure into a bucket or container. We sump aircraft every flight.

I do not know the exact procedure but my mech mentioned the above briefly in light conversation. Without the lift pump on, a table spoon or so drains because of the vacuum left above. Clean fuel is important to any injection system and I have heard especially with the common rail. Someone may look into this as I have not been able to check on the exact process. Hope it helps.

Venom617 10-06-2004 11:02 AM

But just to let you know in the 2004 owners manual it does say to drain at every fuel stop.

As bad as they are for voiding out warranties im sure if they had to fix and checked you fuel tank and didnt find alot of water they would probably blame you for not turning that switch at every fuel stop.

Daimler isnt getting my money that easy.

Learjockey 10-07-2004 09:56 AM

Yes Venom, the reason I looked into it was because the Owners manual said to do it after every fill but did not give the procedure. (our truckstops will love us for this). I ran my drain line to prevent sumping all over the front diff. When I did sump it all I got was a spoonfull of diesel. I wish they would give these pubs to real people for practical use before they print them with errors. My mech said the procedure was in the factory manual/CD.

forcefed88 10-07-2004 12:37 PM

I leave my truck running when I fill up. While the tank is filling I open my hood, flip the yellow tab till I see fuel, and then flip back. Takes 30 seconds. I don't know why not to do it. Yes it gets fuel on the diff, wash it off. Yes it gets fuel on the the concrete (it is already covered from oil and antifreeze).