Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   fuel leak???? please help! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/fuel-leak-please-help-290198/)

doc winters 05-21-2011 10:13 PM

fuel leak???? please help!

Today i blew my front u joint and yoke near the transfer case climbing a hill. When i got underneath to disconnect my truck i noticed a clear fluid all over underneath my truck on the trans and lower engine. its leaking from somewhere near the rear of my engine towards the top i believe. sometimes it smells like diesel sometimes it has no smell. its not ac i know this much. is this normal? its a very small leak. after awhile when i shut off my engine it stops until i start up again. there are no visable leaks anywhere. i cleaned everything with brakekleen and a rag. and it started again. it runs down on the starter housing and then drips to the ground. i have no dtc, no loss of power, no abnormal temps, no drop in mpg..... someone please help!!!!!:(:(:(

doc winters 05-21-2011 10:31 PM

fuel leak???? please help!

Today i blew my front u joint and yoke near the transfer case climbing a hill. When i got underneath to disconnect my truck i noticed a clear fluid all over underneath my truck on the trans and lower engine. its leaking from somewhere near the rear of my engine towards the top i believe. sometimes it smells like diesel sometimes it has no smell. its not ac i know this much. is this normal? its a very small leak. after awhile when i shut off my engine it stops until i start up again. there are no visable leaks anywhere. i cleaned everything with brakekleen and a rag. and it started again. it runs down on the starter housing and then drips to the ground. i have no dtc, no loss of power, no abnormal temps, no drop in mpg..... someone please help!!!!!:(:(:(

8bm 05-21-2011 10:58 PM

So there is nothing leaking out of the lip of the fuel filter housing or drain tube? Both totally dry?

doc winters 05-21-2011 11:09 PM

correct the fuel filter housing and drain tube are dry.

Polaraco 05-21-2011 11:20 PM

check the injector pump, The fan can be blow it back. Check all the fittings

doc winters 05-21-2011 11:23 PM

no fuel or any trace of fuel leakage from the pump.

cbrahs 05-22-2011 11:44 AM

brake fluid

rockcrawler304 05-22-2011 12:20 PM

The only things in the area you describe are brake fluid and fuel.

rockcrawler304 05-22-2011 12:22 PM

Injector line?

doc winters 05-22-2011 02:43 PM

none of the lines appear to be leaking or cracked. no brake fluid loss or brake fade or loss of stopping power. im really dumbfounded right now. i just dont wanna take it to a dealer if its something i can do myself.

.boB 05-22-2011 04:04 PM

Even low sulfer fuel has a distinctive smell; it's an aeromatic hydrocarbon. The slightest bit on your hands will smell like diesel fuel for quite a while.

Brake fluid, OTOH, is usually clear, and without smell. It also feels considerably differant on your fingers than fuel does.

doc winters 05-23-2011 02:59 AM

im starting to lean towards brake fluid because i left a piece of cardboard under my truck and a catch bottle and this morning it had clear fluid in it and no smell. im thinking the diesel smell i had was as .bob had mentioned already on my hands from something else. no to find where this believed to be brake fluid is coming from. which should not be that hard. lol