3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Filter New Design? - Or Did Dodge Dealer Screw Up?

Old 12-30-2018, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter New Design? - Or Did Dodge Dealer Screw Up?

I just discovered that Dodge installed a fuel filter last week that screws into the base of my stock fuel filter housing, and requires that you pry the cover off of a disc on the top of the filter before you can remove the cover and set it aside. Now, instead of simply lifting the filter element out of the canister, it has to be unscrewed as it has a 1/2" (?) plastic pipe thread nipple on the bottom of the filter and it screwed into the base of the filter housing.

I've never seen a filter like this designated for my Dodge, and the fact that there are threads that can possibly come away from this fitting and make it to my pump are bugging me. The only filter I've ever seen, including the new Baldwin I just received, simply clamps into the lid and is held by pressure against the outlet of the filter housing and the rubber gasket on the bottom of the filter.

Does anybody know if this is the new standard for fuel filters for the 2003 Dodge Cummins, or, did they manage to get the wrong part installed?

2003 Ram 3500 - Cummins 5.9L Stock - 208,000
Old 01-13-2019, 03:22 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Never seen that set up either. Do you have a part number of the filter they used?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:25 PM

Dealer Installed Wrong Fuel Filter

I went back to the dealer and they found out that the mechanic had installed the wrong filter. Seems the hole in the bottom of the the wrong filter was a few thousandths smaller than the riser tube that the filter opening slides over and instead of being a sliding fit, the mechanic must have had to force it down into the filter housing. When I tried to get the filter out by pulling it straight up which is the normal way it's removed, it wouldn't budge so that's when I tried to twist it a little and that's when the screw base of the riser tube loosened up and the whole thing came out when it was unscrewed all the way. Not being sure what was going on, I just screwed the whole thing back into the base of the filter canister and took it back to Dodge. Fortunately, the mechanic that looked at it when I took it back figured out what was going on and just pried the top of the filter up and it finally popped off the riser tube. Even he couldn't figure out what vehicle that filter fit as he'd never seen one like it before. They got the correct filter in and all's well.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:15 PM

I bought a fuel filter from Cummins in March and I've been running this filter for 2700 miles now. I just had a small fuel leak that I found at the filter canister. I decided to pull the filter out as it seemed to be coming from the screw-on cap. When I went to remove the cap it seemed to be very loose. Having changed filters several times before I knew they just slide on and off the riser. This time I had to use both hands and exert tremendous up pressure to get it up and out. It sounds like it's the same thing you are talking about. Anyway, I cleaned everything up and installed it back in and tightened the cap and the leak went away. I'm going to get another filter tomorrow and see how it fits. I can't figure out how the cap loosened up enough to cause a leak.
Maybe a bad batch of filters from Cummins?
Old 01-21-2020, 05:29 PM

I have been changing my own fuel filter for the last 19 years on my second-gen. This time i had a hell of a time getting the auto parts (Autozone, Napa, O'Reilly's) gave me some filters that did not fit in the fuel cap. I don't know if these folks don't know jack about parts, and they just give you whatever part the computer spits out and its the wrong part. I finally had to find the Mopar original part number and look for that online- 68001914ab.

I seriously have spent a day going back and forth to four different stores, and they all had a different part number with a filter that looked similar to mine, but it did not fit. Waiting on the one from Amazon to show up at my front door. Hopefully, this will be a perfect fit. Never ever have I had such a hard time performing this simple task.