3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Front end rebuild parts source

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end rebuild parts source

I have a 2007 3500 Megacab REAR WHEEL DRIVE,with auto. I want to freshen up the front suspension since I have 260K on this beast. I want only the best parts (Moog preferably) and a source for all parts. What have ya'all done with your rigs and was it worth it. What absolutely needs to be replaced and what does not need to be replaced.
Thanks
Augie Dog
Old 07-04-2018, 10:49 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
https://www.rockauto.com/
Old 07-04-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by AUGIE DOG
I have a 2007 3500 Megacab REAR WHEEL DRIVE,with auto. I want to freshen up the front suspension since I have 260K on this beast. I want only the best parts (Moog preferably) and a source for all parts. What have ya'all done with your rigs and was it worth it. What absolutely needs to be replaced and what does not need to be replaced.
Thanks
Augie Dog
since you have 260 k, go with parts from the dealer
Old 07-04-2018, 01:45 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

John, not trying to pick a fight, but am curious why you say to go with dealer parts. Educate me please. What is so special about the dealer parts as compared to high quality parts from Rock? OK, he has managed to get 260k out of the factory parts which is pretty good, but .......

Many of the Rock Auto parts are listed as OE plus also use the Dodge part numbers. Not to mention them being at a fraction of the dealer price.

Hope this does not open a can of worms.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally wouldn't Buy ant thing from rock auto, totally useless, I bought a complete front end suspension setup for my Honda Fit, some of the parts didn't last 30 days at about $800.00 plus, Learned my lesson, buy local ;;;;
Old 07-04-2018, 03:32 PM

Interesting. Have been dealing with Rock Auto now for many years (10+?) and bought many parts for sundry vehicles. Never had any issues of any sort, nor short life either. Just installed some Rock Auto front suspension parts on my truck last week.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:37 PM

Have dealt with them before, but learned My lesson, Good luck to you;
Old 07-04-2018, 03:39 PM

I was planning a front end rebuilt on my 04.5, went as far as looking up all parts, but that is over now;;
Old 07-04-2018, 04:31 PM

Grant, been thinking about what you said about parts from Rock Auto and have a question;

The OP wants to use Moog parts. Rock Auto sells Moog. Are you implying that the Moog (or any other known name brand) parts from Rock Auto are of an inferior quality to a Moog (or any other known name brand) to that same brand and part number as those bought from NAPA, Auto Zone etc?

My experience has shown that the same part is cheaper from Rock Auto than from the other parts suppliers, so if it is the same brand and quality of part, why not buy from Rock? They do also sell cheaper parts, so maybe you went for price and not quality, hence your dissatisfaction?
Old 07-04-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks
Augie Dog

Since you have a 2wd truck, all the 4wd front end threads are not applicable, except the lower ball joints.

The 3rd Gen Dodge 2wd HD trucks have an excellent double A-arm independent front suspension with rack and pinion steering.
This is one of the major reasons why I bought, and still have, a 3rd Gen Dodge 2wd HD truck.

Have you jacked up the front of your truck and checked everything out including the brakes and wheel bearings?
That's the 1st step and will tell you what parts are needed.

BTW, I wouldn't put Chinese Moog parts on my wheel-barrow.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
Since you have a 2wd truck, all the 4wd front end threads are not applicable, except the lower ball joints.

The 3rd Gen Dodge 2wd HD trucks have an excellent double A-arm independent front suspension with rack and pinion steering.
This is one of the major reasons why I bought, and still have, a 3rd Gen Dodge 2wd HD truck.

Have you jacked up the front of your truck and checked everything out including the brakes and wheel bearings?
That's the 1st step and will tell you what parts are needed.

BTW, I wouldn't put Chinese Moog parts on my wheel-barrow.
I have not jacked the front end up BUUUT I am getting a lot of rattling like noise from the front end when I hit a bump a certain way. The other thing is the tires are new and wearing heavily on outside edge of tread. I have a new set of Bilstein shocks to go on but I'm thinking of a upper/lower control arm/with ball joints assembly and maybe tie rod ends might fix my issue.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Grant, been thinking about what you said about parts from Rock Auto and have a question;

The OP wants to use Moog parts. Rock Auto sells Moog. Are you implying that the Moog (or any other known name brand) parts from Rock Auto are of an inferior quality to a Moog (or any other known name brand) to that same brand and part number as those bought from NAPA, Auto Zone etc?

My experience has shown that the same part is cheaper from Rock Auto than from the other parts suppliers, so if it is the same brand and quality of part, why not buy from Rock? They do also sell cheaper parts, so maybe you went for price and not quality, hence your dissatisfaction?
My plan is to go all Moog and Rock does not have complete set of Moog parts I am wanting to replace. I also found out Moog is now a multi international parts company with some of their parts being made in China. I would like to keep it all American if possible and may have to go dealer if they meet my demands of Made In America! Lol
Old 07-05-2018, 08:57 PM

I did actually go to Moog's website and their prices seemed to be comparable. I'm still in the search mode but really appreciate ya'alls help!
Old 07-06-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have not jacked the front end up BUUUT I am getting a lot of rattling like noise from the front end when I hit a bump a certain way. The other thing is the tires are new and wearing heavily on outside edge of tread. I have a new set of Bilstein shocks to go on but I'm thinking of a upper/lower control arm/with ball joints assembly and maybe tie rod ends might fix my issue.
The blue and yellow Bilstein shocks all around are a good choice.

I recommend to jack it up and inspect the front end before taking it to a shop.

Check the tierods and balljoints for looseness. Play and roughness in the front wheel bearings.
Sway bar endlinks and bushings.

With the engine off, does the steering wheel have much, if any, play?

My 2wd has super low miles, at 90k miles, but most of it towing our 10k lbs 5th wheel.

I replaced the lower ball joints and tie rod ends a few years ago.
They were only slightly loose, well within spec, but I hate any looseness in the front end.
I used the factory Dodge dealership parts. Ball joints showed made in the USA, tie rods made in China.

In theory, the 4wd lower ball joints are the same as on the 2wd drive trucks.
So, in theory, aftermarket lower ball joints should fit also.
ie, Carli, Dynatrack, EMF, etc.

But I have never heard of anyone trying this on a 2wd Dodge.

Replacing the lower ball joints on the 2wd truck is super easy, unlike the 4wd trucks.
So installing the pricey, but much better, aftermarket lower ball joints on the 2wd truck is a different decision.

If I remember correctly, the upper ball joints cannot be purchased separately than the aluminum upper control arm.
The upper ones are definitely different than the 4wd upper ball joints.
They are very small, which is concerning, but my original upper joints are still tight with no looseness at all.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:41 AM

Red face

Here is an update to my ball joint replacement although a few months late. I called dealer and they wanted $500+ for upper and lower joints. I ordered them but forgot to ask if they were greaseable so I called them back and found out they were not so I canceled the order. I then went to NAPA and purchased their best ball joint set with grease zerks and because of time constraints took my truck to a shop and had them replaced. My suspicion the joints were shot was correct as all four joints were trashed. Also found out the existing Bilstein shocks were good condition and did not need replacing. So after all said and done my truck feels like a new truck and noticed a huge difference in the ride. I still would have preferred using Moog parts but could not find any made in the USA. There is an American manufacturer for upper and lower ball joints but ONLY for four wheel drive trucks which for me SUCKS because I want to use as many US made parts that are available but do not and will not ever own a 4WD vehicle with that said I have noticed many of the posts on DTR are directed at 4WD and I find that frustrating when trying to work on my truck. I am considering the purchase of an FSM to answer my many RWD questions I have and any DIY projects. Hope this helps any of y'all with ball joint issues!

Quick Reply: Front end rebuild parts source