Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Front drive shaft grease fitting (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/front-drive-shaft-grease-fitting-271290/)

psj12 06-07-2010 06:11 AM

Front drive shaft grease fitting

The owner's manual and the sticker under the hood says to grease the front drive shaft double U joint every 10,000 miles but I cannot find a fitting anywhere on it. Does anyone know how to do this?

92'1stGen 06-07-2010 07:49 AM

Here's a picture of the location where the grease fitting is at, (the far left of the picture is facing the transfer case and the far right is going to the front differential). You'll need a grease needle that fits into the end of the grease gun. Get one that looks like an injection needle that would be used for a shot, this type will fit right into the eyelet.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...tLubePoint.jpg

Polarlys 06-07-2010 11:40 AM

It's there. Trust me ( and others). If there is any grease/oil on the joint you'll have to clean it up. Mine was clean and even though I knew it was there it still took some effort to find it. Jack up one front wheel so you can rotate the shaft. It's on the rear half of the double joint. Use a flashlight and spray some de-greaser in there if necessary and wipe it down. It's there, keep lookin.

Reelay 06-07-2010 01:26 PM

They are correct I had to look and look don't give up. It is not a grease zert as you have on your ball joints or on your driveline. It is just a zert ball that is concave. Good luck.

Lost Lake 06-07-2010 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by 92'1stGen (Post 2780136)
Here's a picture of the location where the grease fitting is at, (the far left of the picture is facing the transfer case and the far right is going to the front differential). You'll need a grease needle that fits into the end of the grease gun. Get one that looks like an injection needle that would be used for a shot, this type will fit right into the eyelet.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...tLubePoint.jpg

I have a blunt ended needle, I know what you mean by one that looks like a needle for giving a shot though. Does it go right into the fitting or what? The one I have is a PITA to get grease in the fitting, but I do get it in.

Bark 06-07-2010 07:16 PM

Not wanting to start an argument but mine does not have one. In June of 03 I started looking for it. I downloaded and printed out pictures from this site to compare and still couldn’t find it. A friend who has an 04 who greases his bet me beer that he could find it---and lost. Finally, on the rack at the dealer when they were changing out my turbo (under warranty), the shop manager could not find it. After checking, he found out that some do not have it but was unsure of the rhyme or reason for the discrepancy.

rockcrawler304 06-07-2010 09:00 PM

And when you do find it, get some type of paint marker (I used yellow) and mark the area for future reference. [coffee]

bansh-eman 06-07-2010 09:05 PM

Lost,

I have a small needle type. You actually push the end of the needle into the fitting to move the ball out of the way and the grease will flow in easy from that point. You just got to be careful not to force the needle at an awkward angle and break it.

92'1stGen 06-07-2010 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lost Lake (Post 2780417)
I have a blunt ended needle, I know what you mean by one that looks like a needle for giving a shot though. Does it go right into the fitting or what? The one I have is a PITA to get grease in the fitting, but I do get it in.

Yeah it goes right into the fitting, but you have to be careful not to push it too hard or slightly bend it, or it'll break. At one point I did try the cone type one that you mention, but it just spewed grease everywhere for me. I find it works great though for greasing the plastic shield on the drive shaft of my finish mower.

:cool:

diesel4play 06-07-2010 11:21 PM

What a piece of crap, I have been looking for that **** thing for 6 months. Now that I know it is some microscopic hole maybe I can find it. What happened to the good old zerc?

bansh-eman 06-08-2010 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by diesel4play (Post 2780607)
What a piece of crap, I have been looking for that **** thing for 6 months. Now that I know it is some microscopic hole maybe I can find it. What happened to the good old zerc?

you can not fit a zerk in there without it getting hit by the drive shaft. stock location you could probably clear it, but they played it safe and put the recessed fitting.

diesel4play 06-08-2010 10:47 PM

Do one of you know what the needle thing is called so I don't look too stupid asking for it at Napa?

jhenson 06-08-2010 11:59 PM

Here's a very simple solution to greasing your front shaft....let some low-life crook steal yours like they stole mine and go and get yourself a used one from the wrecking yard and rebuild it with new greasable joints all to the tune of about $375 [verymad]. I swear if I ever catch that (expletive) I'm gonna rip his arms off and beat him with em' [tapdshut].

Anywho...thats how I fixed mine and just as a failsafe the next S.O.B. that tries any funny business better have himself a grinder in hand to remove this one [nonono].

Bark 06-09-2010 12:24 AM

Diesel4play: I think the proper term is a Grease gun Needle Nose Adapter but they will know what you are talking about. Only about 5 bucks. They come in different lengths. Don’t know what size is best for the drive shaft (i repeat--mine does not have one).

jhenson: Sorry for your loss. Getting anything stolen is rough. Getting your truck stolen is really bad. Glad you don’t harbor any bad feelings about it[redface].

DBLR 06-09-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bark (Post 2780436)
Not wanting to start an argument but mine does not have one. In June of 03 I started looking for it. I downloaded and printed out pictures from this site to compare and still couldn’t find it. A friend who has an 04 who greases his bet me beer that he could find it---and lost. Finally, on the rack at the dealer when they were changing out my turbo (under warranty), the shop manager could not find it. After checking, he found out that some do not have it but was unsure of the rhyme or reason for the discrepancy.

IIRC you will only find it on 2005 and newer 4x4 trucks.