Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Engine changes from 05 to 06 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/engine-changes-05-06-a-253221/)

nwflyoda 11-05-2009 01:28 AM

i think my 05 was right in the middle, it has the plastice end caps and the g56. lol

TexasCTD 11-05-2009 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no (Post 2621012)
There has been several changes to valves and seats to handle the emissions and added EGT's. The 04.5-05 were a little different than the 03-04 thne in 06 it was modified slightly again and the head air flow chnaged to help address the extra temps.

Im surprized we haven't heard more about this. With the exception of Don M's comment in another post...and your comment here I don't recall ever hearing of any differences in the heads from 04.5 thru early 07s.

You would also think that if the 06's have better flowing heads, that that would translate into more power. I don't see that based on dyno numbers or track times....of 06's regularly beating an 04.5 or 05 truck. You hear it all the time regarding the 03 and early 04s, however.

no_6_oh_no 11-05-2009 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD (Post 2621406)
Im surprized we haven't heard more about this. With the exception of Don M's comment in another post...and your comment here I don't recall ever hearing of any differences in the heads from 04.5 thru early 07s.

You would also think that if the 06's have better flowing heads, that that would translate into more power. I don't see that based on dyno numbers or track times....of 06's regularly beating an 04.5 or 05 truck. You hear it all the time regarding the 03 and early 04s, however.

Air doesn't make power, fuel does. The flow differences are minor and you would probably only see small differences when you push the envelope. The valve\valvel seat material changes were to address the tendency of the early 600's to drop seats.

Most of these changes are not common knowledge unless the heads have been flowed, access to the technical bulletins from Dodge or Cummins on the small material changes, etc. In other words its not big performance news. [coffee]

AH64ID 11-05-2009 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no (Post 2621449)
Air doesn't make power, fuel does. The flow differences are minor and you would probably only see small differences when you push the envelope. The valve\valvel seat material changes were to address the tendency of the early 600's to drop seats.

Most of these changes are not common knowledge unless the heads have been flowed, access to the technical bulletins from Dodge or Cummins on the small material changes, etc. In other words its not big performance news. [coffee]

I too haven't read about this, and was under the impression 04.5-07 was the same. In fact my dad's 06 runs hotter than my 05. The Press releases talk about the valve/valve seat change in materiel in 04.5 to handle the higher (1450* continuous rating) that the 600 has to meet NOx emissions without an EGR valve.

I would like to see some more info on this...

The only differences I have verified are the electronics/wiring, and valve cover.

stlsparky 11-05-2009 06:45 PM

Head porting doesnt make as much difference on a turbo motor as it does on normally aspirated, I owned a 04.5 and drove it daily for three yrs, traded in for my 06, which I have also driven daily for 3.5 yrs. I noticed no differance in engine power, egt, boost, fuel pressure. But I did seem to get better fuel mileage on my brand new 06 motor, than I did with my 50kmi 04.5. And I still get better than I ever did with the 04.5 by a little but I run crazy larry for the best fuel economy. But as ah64 mentioned the engine wiring harness is different, the injector wiring is hidden under valve cover. Fount out when i got home from the dealer and realized i couldnt use my edge juice module...

HOD-ISB 11-06-2009 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no (Post 2621012)
There has been several changes to valves and seats to handle the emissions and added EGT's. The 04.5-05 were a little different than the 03-04 thne in 06 it was modified slightly again and the head air flow chnaged to help address the extra temps.

04.5 were 326\600 and 05 was 325\610.

Injectors are the same from 04.5-07, only the software differs a bit in how the fuel management is implemented.

The 06+ is a CANBUS system with a TIPM and lot more reliance on electronic controls. The TIPM's are a pain if you pop the equivalent of a breaker you have to have reset usinng STARSCAN. You get 3 resets and you replace the TIPM. Not cheap, if you pull trailers and breakout box is a good investment.

The transmissin controls are much better in the 06-07 if you like autos, pretty much the same for the manuals. DMF is the weal link on all of them.

Only the first hal of 05 had plastic intercooler, mid year they went back to aluminum. Rads are still plastic tanks in all of them.

This pretty much sums it up. I would like to add: The 06 ecm is much more powerful allowing for integrated exhaust brake control and a few other minor options without pushing the limits of the computers memory. The head was modified for better flow along with a slight change in valve seat composition and increased exhaust valve lash.

BLACKBEAR 11-09-2009 03:14 AM

CHECK to see if the wiring hook up is the same and see if the brain box is the same!