Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Dumb mistake, accidently started engine with plastic bag over air filter (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/dumb-mistake-accidently-started-engine-plastic-bag-over-air-filter-270031/)

captntim 05-16-2010 12:48 PM

Dumb mistake, accidently started engine with plastic bag over air filter

So in a rush to finish up degreasing my engine, I forgot to take the plastic bag I so dilligently placed over my AFE filter element when I started the engine. It started and died and actually partially collapsed my air filter element from the vacuum.

It starts and runs fine, but I just wanted to check in and make myself feel better. Anyone think I may have done any damage other than my $100 filter element?

Thanks,

doorguy 05-16-2010 12:58 PM

Should have done nothing else, no air = no run. I have an emergency shut off for my truck and it is just a big valve to shut the air off to the engine.

15 Digger 05-16-2010 01:32 PM

As long as nothing got sucked through turbo and intake system should be ok.

Reelay 05-16-2010 01:50 PM

We have all made dumb mistakes before. You did no damage as was said if nothing got sucked up in the turbo you should be fine. We use to kill run away diesel engines by smothering the intake when all else failed. You can chalk that up to a lesson well learned. Just double check next time.

NickBeek 05-16-2010 02:23 PM

The only possibility of damage is a turbo seal. I would say it is unlikely though because of the short duration it ran. Keep a close eye on your oil level if you are worried about this possibility.

madhat 05-16-2010 03:52 PM

I would agree and say you are ok. As long as you did not suck any of the bag though your filter media, you'll be cool.

As long as it was just a start up, and not a WOT run or anything, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

Good deal on asking, tho. I'd want to know too.

johnh 05-16-2010 07:46 PM

that's kinda like a safety shutoff if you work in a refinery[laugh]

Ram Guy 05-16-2010 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by captntim (Post 2767317)
So in a rush to finish up degreasing my engine, I forgot to take the plastic bag I so dilligently placed over my AFE filter element when I started the engine. It started and died and actually partially collapsed my air filter element from the vacuum.

It starts and runs fine, but I just wanted to check in and make myself feel better. Anyone think I may have done any damage other than my $100 filter element?

Thanks,

Holy shoot! Dude I did the exact same thing YESTERDAY! My K&N on the end of my "Willies Whistler" is about 3" round now...Man these trucks suck hard!...Don't worry about it, it shouldn't cause any damage. Just don't tell too many people what you did.

captntim 05-16-2010 11:13 PM

Well thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure I didn't do anything, but it makes me feel better to ask. The turbo seals are what I was worried about, especially with 165K on the engine.

I run boats for a living and back in my OSV days, I had a runaway 12V71 detroit. I closed the emergency air intake valve and the engine was already running at such a high RPM that it actually pulled oil from the seals on the blower and continued to run itself on its own crackase oil until it blew up!

Extreme example, but I'll never forget it. Thanks for all the replies, I'll keep an eye on the oil level. I checked the inside of the AFE filter and it's just as clean as always. I guess I should be good to go!

annabelle 05-17-2010 09:37 AM

I did the exact same thing with a gasser......just collaped an expensive filter......did not harm the engine.

1-2-3 05-17-2010 09:48 AM

The best part is you usually will do this only once, so yours is over with. There was a hoax going around several years ago that you could increase fuel economy by wrapping you air filter in a trash bag. The folks that fell for that quickly figured out that it didn't work.

powderman426 05-17-2010 01:48 PM

Thats no a hoax. You no doubt will get real good fuel mileage. An engine that isn't running doesn't use much fuel. [laugh][laugh] Sorry I couldn't help myself.