3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Do Not Buy a Dodge Cummins

Old 04-14-2007, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dodge has a real problem with not standing behind their product. I had a 95 that I bought w/ 66K on it, the throttle linkage/cable fell apart at 67K, front suspension was completely shot despite never having a plow on it. Fuel heater wiring melted. There was a recall on the throttle cable only on certain VIN's. *** is that? 98-02's VP44 and lift pump problems, NV4500 5th gear nuts, 53 block failures, killer dowel pins, countless auto transmissions... Our trucks have a loyal following that is really blind to certain things. IMO, an electronic diesel takes the simple and reliable factor right out of it. Eventually they will get better just like EFI cars, and people will talk about mechanical injection pumps in past tense just like carbs. I understand why people buy new trucks, you can't find certain parts for first gens easily, and the ride and comfort/convenience of newer trucks is nice. That said, my first Diesel was a first gen, I bought a second gen after that, after I sold that I swore off diesels and bought a gas GMC. Since then I've had 7 first gens and I don't think I will ever want to own anything different. Cummins is still the Pickup diesel to buy just for the simple fact that it has a solid front axle, and its a straight 6. I looked at my buddy's 6.0 PSD the other day, the turbo was under the windshield. He put a 5" exhaust on and now the truck runs screwed up. He's had countless problems w/ powerstrokes in his work trucks. 7.3's, you better carry a cam sensor in your glovebox. Duramaxes by far have the best auto, otherwise not great. Sorry for the book
Old 04-14-2007, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RATTLINRAM
,,,,, I think this was one of your first posts on the site,,,,,

Do you have any idea how it was treated and maintained for the first 90,000 miles you didn't own it?

I've got 125,000 on my 99 and I am told that I've been rather hard on it since I bought it new. It's a daily driver, tows our 30' 10k 5er, and gets run at the dragstrip every chance I get, not to mention I love to romp on it smokin tires and listening to the Cummins sing at least once a week. The truck was flawless until I started adding the HP (EZ=$300 & DD2 injectors=$350), at which time I decided to upgrade the tranny ($800) to avoid any problems with that. The factory lift pump was replaced at 65k under warranty. The first mods I did on the truck were to put gauges in it to monitor all the vitals. Fluids and filters get changed like they should. I'm happy,,,, RATTLIN is happy,,,,, and it just gets better as the miles add up!

Like others have mentioned, "Every brand is going to have problems" and some individual trucks are just going to be problematic. A lot has to do with how they are taken care of.

Good luck and I hope the next truck you get makes ya happy.

someone did their homework!!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 12:13 AM

That's strange,the guy that lives around the corner from me has over 300,000 miles on his,and says it is the best pick up he has owned.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Muted User

I was a GM tech for years and sweared by them, and then I owned a GMC3500 for 5years, let me tell you the parts that failed.
Transmission at 62K
Hydroboost at 50K
Rear diff. less than 40K
Rear brake cylinders twice in 60K
Pulled the intake manifold twice in 70K because of coolant leaks.
Half a dozen small plastic parts here and there.
All big3 three have problems, so I hope you have better luck than I did with a GM truck, an I'm sure many have, just not me that time.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:18 AM

my brother has a 03 ford with 150,000 on it been chipped bigger exaust plowed snow and has never had a problem.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:40 AM

Unhappy

I could be wrong here, but I don't think there is much more of a point to this thread......
Old 04-15-2007, 08:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, agree! I think the points have been made, thanks for the backup and good common sense, guys!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by PatriotBlu
I could be wrong here, but I don't think there is much more of a point to this thread......
You dont quite get it, if you dont like the thread dont read it.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by brickenbone
You dont quite get it, if you dont like the thread dont read it.
Hey -- Good point. Also note that I have a right to express my opinion just as you do. And before you start telling people what to do, you might want to read back to the first page of this thread where I was supportive of your comments and sympathetic.....

I just think that this thread has worn out it's useful purpose.

What more can you say other than:

1) All of the big 3 have their plus's & minus's
2) You'll get a lemon in any batch (we had a bad honda accord in our family)
3) Service departments for all of these trucks vary
4) Many people have had great trouble-free service with their Dodge as well as the competition
5) There are some weak points (lift pumps, etc...)
6) Many fleet managers prefer the Dodge over the more fancy competition

This is like arguing I like strawberry more than vanilla or chocolate. Or even better, going onto a Chocolate Enthusiasts website and then saying why I hate chocolate..... I think that most of the posters here have been quite gracious and sympathetic. But this won't end until everyone tires of it and there is no logical end in site. Do you expect everyone just to say they hate chocolate too and you're 100% correct???

This is just at this point....

THAT's my opinion. Isn't this the thread for OPINION's? Do you GET that?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:53 AM

I hate chocolate, but love my Dodge. I also own 2 Fords, but they are strawberry chick trucks compared to my vanilla colored Dodge!
Old 04-15-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate Ice Cream is my favorite!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:10 PM

my brother has a 03 ford with 150,000 on it been chipped bigger exaust plowed snow and has never had a problem.

Well, it sounds like you should have bought a Powerstroke!, Maybe you could trade your troublesome Dodge in on a trouble free Ford. There problem solved!!
Old 04-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Banned

I have to vent here. What is up with these trucks anymore? 100,000 miles and they are shot. Oh sure there is an ocasional old fart that gets 200,000 miles. This one of mine is nickle and diming me. Injectors,wheelbearings,power steering pump, tranny,ball joints,lift pumps.

So far, the only thing Cummins related is the injectors.

If thats all that went bad with the Cummins,
do the V8's still hold their own?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate Ice Cream is my favorite!

This is gonna get ugly, but Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla is far better. Need to get your facts straight o.k. pal.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:45 PM

Chocolate Decadence was the best blue bell ice cream ever. Too bad they don’t make it anymore

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do Not Buy a Dodge Cummins