3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Deep sixing the Plastic CAC

Old 07-05-2008, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deep sixing the Plastic CAC

For those of you, like me, who own an early 2005 truck and worry about the CAC coming apart - or have experienced same, take heart. There is a relatively inexpensive and simple fix.

I recently sourced a metal-tanked CAC (thanks, Jesse Neddenriep) from a 2005 late build truck. These can be had for $250 - $300 and unless you have a lot of mods, a stock CAC is all that's needed. After pressure checking it to 30psi (the manual says 20psi - but what the heck - Smarty goes to 38lb of boost), I began the R&R. A plastic cover over the AC core passenger side goes first. It has one-time use plastic anchors, so get those from the dealer if you plan to reinstall that part. I didn't - and may not, unless there is a reason that part is necessary.

Next, four 10mm bolts to free up the AC core. This I carefully and with some trepidation, lifted way up and swung toward the passenger side of the grill, suspending it from the hood with bungee cords out of the way (barely).

Two more 10mm bolts to free the upper CAC mounts.

I backed off the clamp bolts (7/16" deep socket on a 12" extension coming from above and behind the top frame). Backed them way off and slipped the clamps toward the CAC tanks and clear of the hoses. The hoses came free with very little persuasion and then the CAC comes up and forward with a little effort.

First thing I noticed is that the Metal tank has different sized captive nuts for the AC core. AND the mounts are 8.375" apart on the Metal CAC, where they are 9.75" apart on the Plastic CAC.

Not to worry, the mounting brackets on the AC core are fastened with self-tapping T-20 torx screws and the holes are already there on the AC core flanges. Simple unscrew the lower brackets, move them upward one hole and retap the the screws back in.

Transfer the captive nuts from the plastic CAC to the metal one, and transfer the rubber mounts on the lower frame hooks and top frame ears. Place the hose clamps over the inlet and outlet and mount her up, carefully slipping the hoses into place at the same time.

Swing the AC core back into place and mount that also.

Slide the clamps into place and tighten vigorously. They are robust.

That's it...about 45 minutes all told - start to finish.