3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Crankcase Breather Canister

Old 01-12-2006, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
The breather bottle on the 2nd gens had the hose coming into the top of the bottle. Below it on the sides of the bottle were 4 holes about 2 inches below the hose. If the bottle ever filled up it would never plug the hose. It would leak out the holes long before it ever reaches the hose. Even if the hose was blocked by the oil it would still breathe and just bubble out.

What you DO have to worry about is if you extend the breather hose too far and it is winter-time. By the time the blowby vapor leaves the hose in cold weather it won't be very warm. The moisture in the vapor can freeze to the walls of the hose and build up and eventually block off the tube and cause seal damage.
Absolutely, I completely agree.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigblock2stroke
Absolutely, I completely agree.
Old thread here, but this is exactly what just happened this morning to my 2ndGen Was driving from Fairbanks to Anchorage, and right when I got near Clear, AK (ambient was -35*F) the oil pressure guage started bouncing all over, then I smelled oil in the cab, then heard knocking from the motor.....pulled over, and the whole chassis and driver side of the motor was covered with oil. My breather tube which hangs about 3" below the front axle has a chunk of **** sticking about a half inch out of it, and it and the hose are frozen solid. Ended up getting it on a flatbed back to Fairbanks, and am currently waiting to hear from the shop on where they thing the weakest link is. I'm thinking the rear main. It's definitly not the valve cover, so I'm anxiously awaiting that call.......