Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Cooling fan question/issue? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/cooling-fan-question-issue-316644/)

MTC 02-19-2014 07:43 PM

Cooling fan question/issue?

For about the past week or so, when I cut off the motor Ive been hearing a new noise.

I had a buddy cut the motor while I looked under the hood. What I noticed was that the cooling fan continued to turn numerous times after the motor was stopped. It just keeps going like a bicycle wheel. I may be wrong, but shouldnt the fan turn maybe once and stop after its been shut down?

Is my fan clutch shot? If so, how hard of a fix is it? And lastly, how much time do I have to fix it? My schedule is crazy right now....any help is appreciated.

Spooler 02-19-2014 10:34 PM

If the clutch is not engaged it will freewheel. When the truck is stone cold, try to make the fan freewheel. It should have resistance and only spin about 1/2 a turn or so when cold. When it is warm, it will spin easier.

MTC 02-20-2014 02:35 PM

Thanks for the reply Spooler...I did what you suggested this morning before starting the truck, and I could freewheel the fan for as long as I wanted. It just kept spinning, although there was a small amount of resistance. It doesnt spin like a pinwheel, but I can spin it forever...

Do you think theres an issue? Like I said, the only reason I suspected an issue was because of the "new" noise. The truck doesnt run hot and no codes. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it...

Spooler 02-20-2014 10:49 PM

Mine is pretty tight when cold. You may or may not have an issue. Just make sure it doesn't have any play and run it. The electric clutch it what locks it up and varies the speed. May be getting a little worn.

MTC 02-28-2014 03:45 PM

Well, it just got worse...I guess I gotta break down and buy one now.

Im able to stop the fan with my finger with the engine running! Im guessing thats not good.

I just called the dealer and they want $477.00 for the fan clutch:o
Does anybody know where I may be able to look for a better deal?

MTC 02-28-2014 03:56 PM

And about $330.00 on Ebay!

Any help would be appreciated...

MTC 02-28-2014 04:43 PM

Hey guys, I need some help here....I called Napa and they have one for $219.00. Its made by "4 seasons" whoever that is...

Does anybody have any experience with aftermarket fan clutches?

vangasman 03-04-2014 11:14 PM

Never had to replace mine but Hayden is a division of four seasons. On my GMC envoy I was able to remove the electro fan clutch and replaced with a standard thermal one but from the research I've done the thermal clutches from earlier dodges rotate the opposite direction. I prefer simple over technical.