3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Coolant leak and bearing rattle, but more importantly, front of engine access help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant leak and bearing rattle, but more importantly, front of engine access help?

So, the thermostat housing appears to be rusted through on it's underside on my truck.. the top of it looks flawless. So, one's on the way, no big deal.

But, now that the coolant has blown everywhere there - my slightly squeaky belt and some minor minor bearing noise, has become pretty extreme. I couldn't tell which item was making that very loud bearing noise.

I spun the big fan by hand, but that seemed solid and quiet. Can I at least assume it's not the fan/clutch?

I kind of figure, it's probably time to replace most of the crap on the front end of the engine anyway - so I have an idler pulley, tensioner assy, new alternator, new water pump and new crank seal (it's leaking oil too) on the way. Yes, plus a new belt.

So, I couldn't find anywhere, is there some good tutorial to remove all the crap off the front end so I can actually work on the front of the engine? Meaning, intercooler, radiator, p/s cooler, tranny cooler, etc.

PS - Do i have to worry about bleeding the tranny or doing anything special when I re-install the tranny cooler and or intercooler? I figure P/s is bleed by turning lock to lock and coolant I'll figure it out via the how-tos on here...

Thanks...
Old 09-16-2013, 09:15 PM

Of it's like an 06, it may be a piano.
Just take your time. Not sure about the oil seal tho.
Try not to drop tools btw the coolers........
Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 AM

Haha guess the tool comment is from experience? Sounds like something I'd do!

Any tutorials on here?
And how hard is it to do the crank seal? Hear it's annoying...?