3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Coolant Filter Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fishguy 50
I know I sound a bit "broken record", but I will say it again, there is no possible way for a coolant pump to effect system pressure, IT IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE. The coolant pump is a CIRCULATION ONLY PUMP, it has ZERO to do with system pressure. There is virtually no such thing as low or high pressure in the coolant system of these trucks, it is virtually static. there may be an extremely tiny, and "LOCAL" increase in "LOCALIZED" pressure on the out flow side of the pump, but I would bet my life that it would be nearly impossible to measure, and even if you could I am positive that it would NEVER make a difference.
I know I sound like a jerk, and I do appologize for that, please don't take it personal. I am becomming even more convinced that a coolant filter on these trucks is a waste of time. Contrary to my smart butt attitude, I would still like to learn how a coolant filter dose anything positive on any engine.
Sorry fish guy but you are very wrong. The thermostat creates a significant restriction and you can build 50-60 psi in the block/head but only see 15 at the rad.

As for the filter pluses or minuses, it could just be the warm fuzzy feeling you get doing something that you think will help your baby last longer. It can also be effective in collecting sediment that can cause hot spots and flow issues in the cooling system.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have worked in automotive machine shops, I have torn down hundreds of engines for the hot tank, never once saw any passage blocked by sediment, rust yes, sediment no, it dose not happen. What are we mixing the coolant with, MUD? I purposely left the thermostat out of the equasion because it has nothing to do with the filter issue. I do need to further define my statement that system pressure is static, of course there is pressure change due to thermal expansion, or hot Vs. cold .But once again I have to assume that a filter would have no significant effect. 50 to 60 pounds at the head and 15 at the rad, what miraculous event, or device, could cause that pressure drop? surely not head loss/gain from the passing through the thermostat. I do thank those that have responded for being very civil in this debate , you are truly gentlemen!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Banned

I have worked in automotive machine shops, I have torn down hundreds of engines for the hot tank, never once saw any passage blocked by sediment, it dose not happen. What are we mixing the coolant with, MUD? as far as my statments about pressure, my opinion stands.
Well at least part of your statement may be based on your hands on efforts but it does happen. Also why disregard the pressure issue. You wanted an explanation and I gave it to you. Both of my explanations are based on 35 years of working on engines and the support systems to make them run.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

50 to 60 pounds at the head and 15 at the rad, what miraculous event could cause that pressure drop IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do a search on here for Opie bypass or blown freeze plugs. Tell them it is impossible.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Banned

Man you edit your posts alot.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Banned

50 to 60 pounds at the head and 15 at the rad, what miraculous event could cause that pressure drop IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its called a thermostat.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:02 PM

Blown freeze plugs has nothing to do with this issue
Old 05-26-2010, 06:06 PM

I still say the thermostat is not droping the pressure by that much. For that to be possible the coolant pump would have to be putting out at least 70 lbs, not going to happen.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:18 PM

I liked the original point of this thread. Good info and pics on the install.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Blown freeze plugs has nothing to do with this issue
Blown freeze plugs are indicitive of the pressure in the block.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned

I still say the thermostat is not droping the pressure by that much. For that to be possible the coolant pump would have to be putting out at least 70 lbs, not going to happen.
Need to work on the math a bit. The head is 45 psi, 60 psi outlet minus 15 psi inlet is 45 psi head. Sorry you can't see how that works but it does.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OldDodgeOwner
I liked the original point of this thread. Good info and pics on the install.
All the posts are on topic as they all deal with why you could need a filter and how it would work in the system. I like the OP and all the follow on minusha.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:29 PM

What is a good coolant to use after a first time flush ?
Old 05-30-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 04.5 ctd fan
What is a good coolant to use after a first time flush ?
The third generation Dodge Ram specs. a (Glysantin) G-05 HOAT coolant which meets and/or exceeds the following industry and engine specifications: Chrysler MS9769, Ford WSS-M97B51-A1, ASTM D3306. At the present time, there are four G0-5 HOAT coolants available that meet these requirements. All of which are suitable for use in the Dodge Ram CTD. Of the four G-05 coolants available, I use the Zerex G-05 HOAT because it is the most cost effective choice. I have listed the coolants below.

1). Mopar 5 Year/100,000 Mile with (HOAT) Embittered (MS-9769)

2). Ford / Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant - Ford Part #VC-7A

3). Mercedes Benz Antifreeze Agent - Part # Q 103 0002

4). Valvoline Zerex G-05 Hoat - Available in concentrate. The NAPA part # is ZXG051. NAPA carries all of the Valvoline product line. If they do not have it on the shelves or behind the counter, a store associate can order it for you. Other parts stores do not carry it on their shelves. Do not forget to dilute the coolant with distilled water as recommended for your climate.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:58 PM

Thanks Doc. I appreciate the info.

Quick Reply: Coolant Filter Install