3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Coolant Filter Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks AH64!

Another near future project. I've been following all of your filtration threads I can find on this site and CF. This was a good find.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyB
I'm using Zerex coolant additive with good results in both my truck and the Magnum.

MikeyB
Do you have a link? The only additive I can find isn't for HOAT coolant.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AH64ID
At the present time, Zerex does not offer a HOAT formulated coolant additive.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
http://www.valvoline.com/products/br...-treatments/46

MikeyB
Old 05-12-2010, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Not quite the same additive that filters with SCA add, but additive none the less.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:11 AM

I decided to do a little plumbing work last night. I moved the return to the heater core return. I don't think I was getting the full flow I could have with it plumbed the way I did. I originally hadn't wanted to run it thru the heater core return becuase the area is small and the fittings are large.. But it was actually quite easy and looks fine.

I used about 8" of 5/8" heater hose, a 1/2" NPT "T", 2 1/2"NPTx 5/8 Barb, and 1 1/2" NPT x 3/8 barb. All in all the swap took about an hour, including the coolant drain/fill.

Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDAwODkuanBn.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  66.0 KB
Old 05-26-2010, 08:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great. I would imagine the worst part of the job was removing the coolant due to the plug in the block?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Dizzle
Looks great. I would imagine the worst part of the job was removing the coolant due to the plug in the block?
Yeah and even that was easy. I just disconnected the hose at the filter (the one from the block) and let it drain till the coolant was below that level. The coolant also flows 10x faster out that drain than the petcock in the radiator.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:06 PM

I knew the Power Jokes had a problem with getting all the casting sand out of the blocks and a lot of guys were installing them on there diesels ... don't see any reason unless cummins has that same problem .
Old 05-26-2010, 01:28 PM

I do not understand why a coolant filter is a good idea??? the whole premise seems silly. Who cares if there is a small amount of casting sand in a coolant system???? The only ware surfaces in the entire coolant system are the coolant pump bearings, coolant pump shaft seal, and coolant pump shaft. All this work to "protect??" (dose it protect???) a $50 pump, seems like a gigantic waste of time. There are hundreds of things you can do to "harden" these engines, this should never make the list in my opinion. Oil filter- no brainer. Coolant filter- good grief why?????????????
Old 05-26-2010, 01:35 PM

I'll start with why not.... But consider than ISC's and larger have them from the factory. On ISB's they aren't considered necessary due to the fact that they aren't sleeved motors.. but it certainly can't hurt. It will also help improve flow around cylinders 5 & 6, which will lead to decreased pressure and temps during periods of heavy towing, or high hp application.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:46 PM

Sorry, not good enough. Decreased pressure??? the coolant system is a sealed system, there is no way a filter could reduce system pressure. Increased flow???? most all filters reduce flow.If the goal is to increase flow around particular cylinders, plumbing could maybe help with that, a filter??, not possible. What is the benefit of a coolant filter in sleved blocks???? What are they trying to remove from the coolant????
Try again.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fishguy 50
Sorry, not good enough. Decreased pressure??? the coolant system is a sealed system, there is no way a filter could reduce system pressure. Increased flow???? most all filters reduce flow. Try again.
It reduces pressure the same way a bypass does (thou not as much), the pressure is highest in the back of the block due to lower flow, and higher temps. The pressure rises and pushes more coolant out the 1/2' port in the head, right into the filter. Pressure is different thru-out the system, if you pull from a high pressure and into a low pressure you are reducing the higher pressure. (same way I was able to get flow on the previous plumbing)

Its a bypass style filter, not all the coolant goes thru it. But now there is 2GPM (approx numbers from Fleetguard) that is leaving the area around 5 & 6 that was slow moving before.. so yes flow is increased around 5 & 6, where I want to increase it.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:34 PM

I know I sound a bit "broken record", but I will say it again, there is no possible way for a coolant pump to effect system pressure, IT IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE. The coolant pump is a CIRCULATION ONLY PUMP, it has ZERO to do with system pressure. There is virtually no such thing as low or high pressure in the coolant system of these trucks, it is virtually static. there may be an extremely tiny, and "LOCAL" increase in "LOCALIZED" pressure on the out flow side of the pump, but I would bet my life that it would be nearly impossible to measure, and even if you could I am positive that it would NEVER make a difference.
I know I sound like a jerk, and I do appologize for that, please don't take it personal. I am becomming even more convinced that a coolant filter on these trucks is a waste of time. Contrary to my smart butt attitude, I would still like to learn how a coolant filter dose anything positive on any engine.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:05 PM

I know that there is a decent pressure difference. I was getting decent flow with both ports in the system, with neither connected to the in or out of the pump. Just one in the block and one in the head, the filter would get hot before the thermostat opened and once it opened it got a lot hotter... That wouldn't happen with immeasurable pressure differences.

No, overall pressure will not be effected, but localized pressure can be effected. Since the pump is constant velocity, at a given rpm, then volume is the same.. If you now are moving more fluid from an area the pressure will drop, it has to.. you can't effect flow, keep the rate constant and not have a pressure change.. that's not how fluid dynamics works.

I have already noticed a slight decrease in coolant temps while towing, directly related to this addition.

Nothing personal... just a good discussion....

How can cleaner coolant do anything bad? While I haven't ever torn down a ISB, every other engine I have torn down has had sediment inside the block for one reason or another it happens... That sediment will effect water pump life, radiator efficiency, and if bad enough can block cooling passages.

I plan to cut the filter open next year when i change it and will show everyone just how much of what was filtered out... but until then

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...25-post44.html

Quick Reply: Coolant Filter Install