3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Common Problems and How Do I Articles Needed....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
some stuff in my link, just dig around in there.

gauges on Mad's truck, DIY cranksensor, re-do the phase on rear Infinity system,

leather seat swap out, center console swap.

odds & ends.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey there can you send them my way thanks
Old 07-28-2007, 07:41 PM

I am having a drivability problem with my 03 3500 single wheel 6speed. After engine warms up to 195 degrees engine starts to surge. Taking off from stop it will get to about 25 mph and start shifting gears it is hard to get 1400rpm before surge starts. When I finally get to 60-65 mph as long as I keep accelerator pedal at one position it runs normal if I try to accelerate it surges bad. I have 75000 miles on this truck.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:42 PM

drivability problems with 03 cummins

any one have a surging problem with their trucks?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:00 AM

Would someone PM me with how to set the high idle on my 07 6spd I am not smart enough to figure it out
Old 07-29-2007, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4not
Vibrations vibrations VIBRATIONS!

Many, many guys have had problems with their trucks, and many have still not solved it. Myself included.
200X!!! Mine has the dreaded 70MPH vibration and I'm going through everything I can think of to get rid of it.
Thanks
Scott
Old 08-03-2007, 04:26 AM

Well the Dodge "Factory Engineering Rep" ended up telling me my vibration was "Normal" and also "An Engineering flaw" and that I should either deal with it, or trade it in. I'm hoping that I might have better luck with a dealer now that I'm out in Colodaro. There are a lot more diesels out here.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this may not rate very high on the "Have to Repair" items or deal with any safety issues, but boy am I tired of replacing Fog Lamps for $120 + tax each!!!
I don't know why but those glass lens' on the fog lamps break too often... even the parts supplier asked me the first time... "Drivers side right?" I told him yes and asked how he knew... He told me he didn't know why but the drivers side gets hit by road debris more for some reason...

So any way after my 3rd set I held off buying my forth while searching for a fix, a rock guard or something to prevent me from buying 100 more fog lamps... And I found this http://www.racinglab.com/lamin-x-lpf-112.html It is a clear (or other color options available) self adhesive lens (I paid the extra $5 for the 40mil thick lens) that attaches directly to the glass lens for a shock absorbent barrier for road debris... I bought the news Fog Lamps and installed the lens covers before putting them on my truck. I even let them sit inside for a day to make sure the self adhesive back was secure... I have run over 40,000 miles now and not so much as a crack, or ding and no discoloration at all.... That has impressed me seeing as how I spent $720 + tax in fog lamps in the first 30,000 miles I put on my truck...

Hope this helps, even though it is more of an annoyance fix than anything else...

Mark
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (06-10-2018)
Old 11-14-2007, 09:19 PM

Interesting articles for the DTR

Monty, I read your request for problems/interesting articles. After reading the recent thread about "Everyone read this, shorted wires" I checked my truck and found the subject wires beginning to chafe.
I think it would be a great item if you could have a separate forum for electrical problems, maybe one for the engine& trans and another for chassis. The reason I suggest this is the longer I own my 2005 Dodge CTD the less secure I feel driving it! As an electrical engineer I feel it is an electronic nightmare waiting to happen. I don't understand why such a heavy reliance on the use of computers to operate things like instrument clusters and chasisi lighting. Here in Ohio where the road salt is very heavy in the winter I feel it is only a matter of time before bad electrical connections turn my truck into an unreliable piece of junk. I am concened enough about this that I am considering trading down to an older model that isn't an electronic nightmare. Thanks for your time, John Kosik aka Lektrikman
Old 12-30-2007, 04:59 PM

How about some " Basic Maintenance Items" like balljoint replacement-valve adjustment-fuel pump replacement-brakes pads and other known weak links. I'm also interested in sources for the best quality parts at reasonable prices.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:09 PM

basic maintenance...

the '3rd Generation Fuel Filter Removal And Installation Written By: "HorseHauler"' is great! air filter is simple. oil and filter has a few tips out there about bucket to use and filter 1/2 full when put on etc... but a horsehauler step by step would be great for a diesel rookie. that and a grease gun and i am at my tech limit and don't mind paying a good mechanic to to do the rest.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by MudHog
How about some " Basic Maintenance Items" like balljoint replacement-valve adjustment-fuel pump replacement-brakes pads and other known weak links. I'm also interested in sources for the best quality parts at reasonable prices.

Ball Joints: "Moog"

as for everything else can't help you with.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:27 AM

Brake pads- Factory.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:54 PM

Thanks guys...I'm about to do the brakes, balljoints and valves for the first time.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Freeze Plug Fix
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...reeze+plug+fix

Quick Reply: Common Problems and How Do I Articles Needed....