Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   clutch engages with pedal depressed (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/clutch-engages-pedal-depressed-210493/)

MOCOP 07-08-2008 03:49 PM

clutch engages with pedal depressed

This just started happening the other day. Was at a stop light and the rpm started to drop, not much just a little. The light changed and when I started to let out the clutch, it grabbed immediately. This does'nt happen all the time, it is periodic.

The truck does not see any heavy towing. The only thing that has happened recently to the truck was that it was rearended about a month ago. There was no visible damage. The other driver was inattentive and punched my trailer hitch into her bumper. I don't know if that could have damaged anything.

Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks.

mrblond 07-08-2008 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by MOCOP (Post 2140721)
This just started happening the other day. Was at a stop light and the rpm started to drop, not much just a little. The light changed and when I started to let out the clutch, it grabbed immediately. This does'nt happen all the time, it is periodic.

The truck does not see any heavy towing. The only thing that has happened recently to the truck was that it was rearended about a month ago. There was no visible damage. The other driver was inattentive and punched my trailer hitch into her bumper. I don't know if that could have damaged anything.

Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks.

If I had to guess I would say you are loosing hydro fluid pressure. Bad master or slave or line leak? Take your pick? Could be a simple fix?

billie 07-08-2008 04:37 PM

Not simple if the slave is shot. Gotta pull the tranny. You should see fluid at the bottom of the housing if its leaking. Hope its the master, that's an easy one.

Gary Emerald 07-08-2008 04:50 PM

why would you have to pull the tranny?

MOCOP 07-08-2008 04:58 PM

I have not seen any fluid underneath the truck and of course it's pouring rain right now. As soon as it stops, I'll go look underneath.

Thanks for the ideas.

billie 07-08-2008 05:00 PM

Maybe I spoke in error, but all the hydraulics I've seen go over the shaft. Haven't actually seen the NV5600.

My apologies if I misled anyone.

MOCOP 07-08-2008 05:24 PM

checked the fluid level in the master cylinder, it seems ok. there was no visible leak on or around the master cylinder.

where else should I look for leaks?

Gary Emerald 07-08-2008 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by billie (Post 2140798)
Maybe I spoke in error, but all the hydraulics I've seen go over the shaft. Haven't actually seen the NV5600.

My apologies if I misled anyone.

on the 4500, the hydraulics slide in from the back of the bell... I assumed the 5600 was the same

I know some vehicles have hydraulic throw out bearings and some have the slave cyl sealed up inside the bell, but I know the 4500 doesn't fall in this category

homewrecker 07-08-2008 09:32 PM

The 5600's slide in from the back of the bell housing also.I've had similar issues with both my 01's w/5600's and a new master and slave cylinder fixxed them.The hydro pressures can bleed by internally in the cylinders and not leak.Best bet is to buy a whole master/slave assembly from the dealer.NAPA sells them individualy but its a guessing game.(been there,done that and guessed wrong)If I had to guess though I would start with the master cylinder

MOCOP 07-09-2008 01:13 PM

Well, I called around to a few places this morning and the only place I can get the whole MC/SC unit is from the local dealership. The good thing is that the price they gave me was only $130. Should be here in a day.

Any tips or tricks I should know about before I crawl underneath this thing? It looks like a pretty easy/straightforward swap.

MOCOP 07-10-2008 01:12 PM

Got the new mc/sc unit this morning. Total damage $140.

The hardest part of the swap was getting the clutch pedal position sensor unplugged.

Have not taken it for a test drive yet, it's lunchtime. I'll let you guys know if this fixes it.

MOCOP 07-10-2008 03:55 PM

Test drive went great. Drove long enough to get it up to temperature and then pulled over on the shoulder, pressed in the clutch and left it in gear. Sat there and held it for about ten minutes. Didn't fade a bit.

I think that fixed it!!

mrblond 07-10-2008 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by MOCOP (Post 2142945)
Test drive went great. Drove long enough to get it up to temperature and then pulled over on the shoulder, pressed in the clutch and left it in gear. Sat there and held it for about ten minutes. Didn't fade a bit.

I think that fixed it!!

So what was it, master or slave or you replace'em both and was it a simple fix?

homewrecker 07-10-2008 10:40 PM

Good to hear its fixxed!

87BRGN 07-10-2008 11:09 PM

Just did mine yesterday. I spent as much time with that plug as I did changing the mc/sc. Who ever designed that plug needs to be kicked in the junk.

Dave