Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   clunk in steering wheel (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/clunk-steering-wheel-295720/)

quadman20 10-01-2011 06:10 PM

clunk in steering wheel

Its not like a big clunk but like a tapping on the steering wheel shaft while driving. I believe I found the issue. It seems like it just a little play in the small arm off the steering box. Almost like play in the shaft coming out of the box maybe. I talked with the dealer and he says there a tire rod kit that can fix that and its pretty common. Any truth to this? If so is it a simple deal to do I'm pretty capable. Dealer wants 900 bones to do it. I was wondering if just a steering box stabilizer brace maybe be an easier cure. Thanks for any knowledge anyone may have.

Special Blend 10-02-2011 05:19 PM

Don't let them touch your tie rods. Order the 08.5+ steering setup if you are certain that's where it is coming from.

BigIron70 10-02-2011 06:17 PM

I see this problem all the time it's caused by excessive pitman shaft movement up and down. Usually when going over small bumps in road. You can check for this problem by taking a pry bar between the sway bar and pitman arm and pry up on the pitman arm. If you have excessive up and down movement then adjusting your gear box should fix this. I would also recomend if there isn't a double nut on the adjuster you should install one there since this will prevent adjusting screw from turning. Be careful adjusting these gear boxes since you just want to get the play out but not too tight or it will cause binding in the gears and damage to gear box. 1/2 to 1 turn is usually all that is needed to stop the noise in steering over bumps.

quadman20 10-02-2011 10:03 PM

Well the feel is coming from the pitman arm it self. I seems as the shaft out of the steering box that connects to pitman arm is were it comes from. Because you can grab the tire rod tube and jerk it and it comes from pitman arm for sure.

papaduck 10-03-2011 05:30 AM

I think a steering box stabilizer will solve your problem and could save the steering box from early failure.

HMX-1 10-03-2011 06:43 AM

Please please PLEASE .... make sure your steering box isn't already shot. I took my '06 in this summer to a different dealer because our local guy couldn't figure out why there was so much play in the wheel. Half a day at the 2nd dealer and they had the problem identified, parts ordered, and warranty claim started before they even called me.

That other dealer? He might be lucky if I keep using him for oil changes.

-Kris

no_6_oh_no 10-03-2011 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by quadman20 (Post 3026599)
It seems like it just a little play in the small arm off the steering box. Almost like play in the shaft coming out of the box maybe.

If the play is up and down you might be able to adjust it out. If the play is back and forth the steering box is done and nothing will cure that unless it is replaced. Then you can add the steering box support to keep the new one from wearing out so fast.

Lost Lake 10-03-2011 02:52 PM

I had that same tapping on my truck. Just like a hammer tapping the steering shaft. I never did anything about it, but it did go away when I put my steering box stabilizer on it.

My thought? Put the stabilizer on. For one thing it saves your steering box which has a known weakness. It beefs up your steering and makes the truck nicer to drive. And it may just get rid of your tap. All great reasons to put the stabilizer on!

MTC 10-03-2011 03:39 PM

I dont mean to hi-jack, but it is related...I have the same issue, what brand or company do you guys recommend for the steering box support?

papaduck 10-03-2011 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by MTC (Post 3027245)
I dont mean to hi-jack, but it is related...I have the same issue, what brand or company do you guys recommend for the steering box support?

There is another but here is the one I bought.

http://www.custom-diesel.com/2003-20...zer-4x4-1.html

VP_07SRT8 10-03-2011 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lost Lake (Post 3027226)
I had that same tapping on my truck. Just like a hammer tapping the steering shaft. I never did anything about it, but it did go away when I put my steering box stabilizer on it.

My thought? Put the stabilizer on. For one thing it saves your steering box which has a known weakness. It beefs up your steering and makes the truck nicer to drive. And it may just get rid of your tap. All great reasons to put the stabilizer on!

which one did you order?

M1AM14SPUR 10-04-2011 09:43 PM

I have had something going on with my truck that sounds similar. When I hit a bump, especially on a curve, there is some bump steer and my truck is ROUGH on bumps now. I have upgraded the folowing trying to correct this.....BD adjustable track bars, Rancho shocks, Lukes links, and Bilstien Steering Damper. I replaced the wheel bearings while I was at it. What am I missing???

no_6_oh_no 10-04-2011 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by M1AM14SPUR (Post 3027851)
I have had something going on with my truck that sounds similar. When I hit a bump, especially on a curve, there is some bump steer and my truck is ROUGH on bumps now. I have upgraded the folowing trying to correct this.....BD adjustable track bars, Rancho shocks, Lukes links, and Bilstien Steering Damper. I replaced the wheel bearings while I was at it. What am I missing???

Ball joints? I just replaced all mine and got rid of the bump steer and over steer in the corners by doing that.