3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Check those block heaters - might be loose!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check those block heaters - might be loose!

I've been noticing a seep of antifreeze from my truck for the last two weeks as well as a slight, but noticeable loss in the amount of antifreeze in the white coolant container but was unable to discover the source until tonight. I was changing the differental fluid on the front axle when I saw a drip...I followed it up only to discover that it was coming from the block heater. It had been leaking for quite some time as the entire underside of the block heater, the underside of the area where it was mounted and the negative cable attached to the frame were all discolored from the leak. The block heater is located in the block directly next to the oil filter and just above where the ground wire for one of the batteries attaches to the frame.

I tried to get it from the bottom but found it difficult so I pulled the breather hose off from the turbo and was easily able to get at it. Apparently, whoever installed the thing at the factory neglected to tighten it up, so using a crescent wrench I was able to tighten it in another 1/2". I got it as tight as I could get it (32 ft lbs), reattached the 110V cord to the heater, reattached the breather hose to the turbo and then started it to ensure no more leaks. Everything looks fine now except that I'll be picking up some antifreeze tomorrow morning to make up the loss from the leak.

Bottom line is you might check it if you're noticing a small leak...mine was built in 02/03.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:56 AM
JKE

Re:Check those block heaters - might be loose!

XTOAK - excellent heads up on that one 8)
Old 10-25-2003, 10:18 AM

Not to be a smartbutt or anything, because I've run into this problem tightening many bolts, but how did you measure the torque using a crescent wrench (or any wrench for that matter)?

Edited by Moderator
Old 10-25-2003, 10:59 AM
JKE

may have thought better of the cresent wrench ( : not good) and went back with a torque wrench. ???

Maybe not...good point. I did not even catch it .

still a good point on the block heater leaking though......

John

Old 10-25-2003, 04:39 PM

I stick my tongue out the left side of my mouth and when it swings around and is sticking out the right side of my mouth, I know it's about 30 ft lbs of torque...then I give it a good twist for the extra 2 ft lbs...

Seriously, I used the crescent wrench to get it tight and then used a torque wrench with an extension and deep socket to get the 32 ft lbs of torque per the service manual specs. Remember, you have to unscrew the ac cord from the connector so as to get a socket around it.

It was really easy to do and luckily I had only lost two quarts of antifreeze.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:51 AM

Which antifreeze did you use and where did you get it?
Old 10-27-2003, 10:16 AM

I used the 5 year Mopar coolant per the book. Part number was 5066386AA and is the red stuff. I did a double check on the color and the manual before I left the dealer to ensure I had the correct stuff. Price was $11 per gallon and then I got a rebate form in the mail for $2.50 for each gallon purchased making the net price $8.50 per gallon.