Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Bouncing Tire???? Help!!! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/bouncing-tire-help-155119/)

blackmajik 06-12-2007 01:09 PM

Bouncing Tire???? Help!!!

I have an 06 Big Horn and I have noticed that when I drive over a bump in the road at highway speeds the front drivers side wheel wants to bounce all over the place. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.[roll] [dummy]

MEGA COP 06-12-2007 01:43 PM

Check the castor alignment. sounds very similar to what these trucks do when they get a leveling kit if not algined properly afterward. (Some call it death wobble). Does it stop or slow down when you slow down? or does it get worse as you keep driving (almost like a harmonic type vibration?) if so then it is your alignment.

blackmajik 06-12-2007 01:54 PM

It does stop eventually. The only reason I wasn't leaning toward that is cause it stays going straight or does that matter?

Rollin' Smoke 06-12-2007 01:55 PM

i think that the DW is more of the axle shifting side to side, rather than just one wheel bouncing as you stated. could be wrong!

MEGA COP 06-12-2007 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by blackmajik (Post 1550052)
It does stop eventually. The only reason I wasn't leaning toward that is cause it stays going straight or does that matter?

I will still track fairly straight, but the wheel will hop and shake violently, and you will definetly feel it in the stering wheel also. as far as the axel moving, that is just a result of the tires shaking so much. I would get your alignment checked ASAP. and have a much positive castor allowable put in the truck. It helped both of my trucks out and I have never had a problem with that since.

blackmajik 06-12-2007 02:03 PM

Well I am going to take it to the dealer today to see what they say. I did the service on sunday and lubed the front tie rod ends and it seams to have gotten worse. I don't know if that would make it worse though???/

MEGA COP 06-12-2007 02:05 PM

Good luck! Hope it all works out, but that has been my experience with what you are describing any way.

blackmajik 06-12-2007 02:06 PM

Thanks a bunch. You have helped me.

blackmajik 06-13-2007 07:50 AM

I took it to the dealer last night and they said it was the ball joints and the support shock. They will be fixing it tomarrow. If it keeps up then I will check the allignment.

high bid 07-05-2007 02:07 PM

same problem here. I've tried to keep the castor correct. I was thinking it was the shock but now I'm going to check the ball joints; at 160k miles they're probably shot.

HOBrian 07-06-2007 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rollin' Smoke (Post 1550054)
i think that the DW is more of the axle shifting side to side, rather than just one wheel bouncing as you stated. could be wrong!

Not flaming just informing to others...

I thought the same thing. My truck had DW (bone stock)and I too thought it could only happen as a whole unit meaning the axle. I was driving not really worried about getting DW there were no bumps big enough that BOTH front tires would hit, so I thought I was in the clear until I hit one rather large bump with the rightside and sent the right front wheel into motion.