3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Battery Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Corrosion

Both negative terminals had corrosion on them. I cleamed them up and but die-electric grease on them, now 4 days later they are corroding again.

These are the original batteries so they are 7 years old, is this a sign they are dying?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dynocon
Both negative terminals had corrosion on them. I cleamed them up and but die-electric grease on them, now 4 days later they are corroding again.

These are the original batteries so they are 7 years old, is this a sign they are dying?
Yes
Old 08-23-2011, 09:05 PM

I recently was trying to clean mine ( negative as well) when the battery post came loose. It would turn and bend when I was trying to pry the cable clamp off. So I decided to buy 2 new batterys. They were 6 years old, Boy what a difference in starting power... It turns over VERY quickly. There was nothing wrong with the battery untill i tried to clean the corrosion.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was old that the corrosion is from the gas that's leaking from the battery! I had to replace my factory ones last Nov.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by firemanram
I was old that the corrosion is from the gas that's leaking from the battery! I had to replace my factory ones last Nov.
Yep, I always try to get rid of a battery as soon as it starts getting gassy and corroding terminals. They can sure make a mess of stuff if you leave them.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
About a year before my OEM batteries died they started corroding like crazy. Constant maintenance trying to keep them clean.

MikeyB
Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by torquefan
Yep, I always try to get rid of a battery as soon as it starts getting gassy and corroding terminals. They can sure make a mess of stuff if you leave them.
Same here, I can't stand corroded battery terminals..... Drives me crazy.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 PM

So, those of you that have replaced the batteries. What batteries did you replace the stockers with and what batteries do you recommend?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
About a year before my OEM batteries died they started corroding like crazy. Constant maintenance trying to keep them clean.

MikeyB
Thanks Mikey, Gives me time to start watching for sales...
Old 08-24-2011, 08:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just replaced the batteries in my 2004.5 dually. No real corrosion, but sometimes it just would just turn over with a grunt. Still started.

The replacements I got were Sears Platinum Diehards. From my own research and several other opinions, they are the same as Odyssey, While not cheap, still less expensive than Odyssey labeled versions. Spins over very fast and the one in my drag car has worked very well for over a year now.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm with Locomotion. Sears Platinum for me also. A bit more pricey, but also with a better warranty. You get what you pay for. You go cheap...you get cheap! My experience over the years is this...batteries are one of those things that are really related to their advertised warranty, or "life rate". If it says 3 years, then I'll bet you'll get 3 years and maybe a couple of months! I went with Sears, and have 4 years. Ya'all better know that in 3 years and 11 months, I'll be back at Sears, having these batteries checked out!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Dynocon

That means the posts are leaking

To buy some time, clean them up again and put a thin layer of black RTV all the way around the base of the post. Smear some of the grease on the post, then put the connection back together. Let the RTV set up first.

Are you putting allot of water in these? Check to be sure you are not over charging too. Should be around 14.5 VDC at idle with no load.

It's just a band-aid, but when you are cheap like me. . . . .
Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by ChrisJohnson
I'm with Locomotion. Sears Platinum for me also. A bit more pricey, but also with a better warranty. You get what you pay for. You go cheap...you get cheap! My experience over the years is this...batteries are one of those things that are really related to their advertised warranty, or "life rate". If it says 3 years, then I'll bet you'll get 3 years and maybe a couple of months! I went with Sears, and have 4 years. Ya'all better know that in 3 years and 11 months, I'll be back at Sears, having these batteries checked out!
Nothing like a gell cell . . . I have one of the first Optima Blue tops out on my trailer for the winch. It's about 8 years old now. Tested this spring as in excellent health.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

.....and corrosion isn't much of an issue either since they are sealed AGM batteries! The older acid/water batteries will eventually start corroding other things under the hood.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 PM

I wonder what the factory battery goes for?? I got 7 years out of it and would have gotten more if I didnt play with it, I went with sears silver, we will see....

Quick Reply: Battery Corrosion