3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Battery acid build up...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery acid build up...

This is a continued problem here. The acid build up on the connectors and then I get warning lights and engine lights. A few times a clean up was all it needed but this truck has had a few batteries for various ECM issues draining them.

Anyone else have this problem??
Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Some brands of battery seem more prone to leaking acid all over the top and destroying connections, hold-downs etc. That's always been a big pet-peeve of mine, and I think the best solution is to switch to a different brand of battery. AGM batteries like Optima will keep the connections clean. I think there are a few different choices available for AGM batteries these days but I haven't shopped for them in a long time, so I'll let someone else add to this.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The stock batteries should also be AGM type. They don't vent nearly like what flooded cells do.

It might be a good idea to take a voltage reading at the battery with the truck revved up to see what voltage it is charging at.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:14 AM

Someone mentioned this to me a long time ago on my car. I tried it and it seems to help stop the "build-up". I'm starting to get a little bit on mine and I will do this, but wipe-on a thin layer of white lithium grease on the connectors and terminals.

The electricity will still flow through the white lithium grease and it acts as a barrier to the build-up. Maybe this is an ol' wives tale, but it seemed to help me with my car and gas truck build-up, over the years.

I just use my finger and wipe the WL grease all over the parts.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You can use grease, but there is a specific kind for this. it's called dielectric grease. Put it on every electrical connection you ever see and you will be doing yourself worlds of favor. Especially battery and rv light pigtails.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:35 AM

Corrosion started on both batteries 3 months after I bought the truck new, cleaned terminals and added corrosion protection grease on all the posts, the batteries died at 3.5 years and 60k miles. Guess Dodge switched to cheaper batteries in '07.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 AM

Thats guys....appreciate it.

I have the terminal cleaner tool...but Im off to buy some dielectric grease. Wish me luck!

Better get out a ladder I can't reach the freakin batteries in my truck lol
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM

I spray Fluid Film on all of my battery posts and other exposed electrical connections to prevent corrosion.

Like stated, check voltage readings and make sure all your grounds and cables are in good shape and tight.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 AM

I sprayed T40 to clean them up but now the truck won't start at all. I probably over did it and I have to take the cables off and clean and dry them.

The battery has less than a 50% charge to it ( drivers side) according to my tester.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Remember there's another end on those cables that need maintenance too.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure that the battery post and inside of the cable clamp are clean with nothing on them, make sure they are completely dry. Once you reinstall the cables then spray them down with fluid film or a spray grease. i use both fluid film and zep 2000, both work very well. You may have a grounding issue, as previously stated check all your grounds, don't just look at them, actually remove them, clean the block and cable ends or change them if necessary. I have seen poor grounds cause the electrical system to search for grounding through various other devices like the ecm causing all kinds of starting or drivability concerns.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
With two batteries in parallel, if one has a cell that is starting to short, it will overcharge the other cells and result in it puking out the vents.

Try charging it, but if it still tests poor on a load tester it may be time for a new pair.

I usually wash and spray off the tops of the batteries a few times a year when I'm washing the truck. Seems to keep things clean.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Pass side battery is fine the drivers side was pooched. I cleaned the terminals and charged the battery. And its holding a charge fine. I cleared the codes and started the truck and no more low voltage or ecm power engine lights coming on like it did previously.

So far so good!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1-2-3
Remember there's another end on those cables that need maintenance too.
Noooo!

I actually do take very good care of my truck and do all the required maintenance. But it got cold the last month and I think my previous grid heater/ecm issues are popping back up like before. That always lead to dead batteries and engine lights.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:48 PM

I still have original batteries min my truck 231k. I use Amsoil MPHD and sprayed the post cable. They still look brand new.

Quick Reply: Battery acid build up...