Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Bad Vibration at 55 with trans Locked (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/bad-vibration-55-trans-locked-295491/)

schoust 09-26-2011 05:36 AM

Bad Vibration at 55 with trans Locked

Hey Guy's well here we go again it seems that I have some sort of issue with either the drive shaft,universal's or the converter?? Out of no where while getting on the Highway yesterday I proceded as normal to accelerate up tpo speed and as soon as the trans locked up in OD and hit approx. 55 the truck began to vibrate? It seems to go away past 65. Anyone have this issue? Tires look good? What do I check??
Thanks

PWong 09-26-2011 10:45 AM

Feeling vibration from steering wheel only at certain speed?
Usually this is because of defective or unbalanced tires. A defective balanced tire will do the same thing.
I would rotate the tires and see what will happen.
Just my two cents.

lostcause72 09-26-2011 11:02 AM

i agree with PWong that if your feeling it in the steering wheel its most likely a tire issue but if you feel it in your seat it is most likely the torq converter

schoust 09-26-2011 04:08 PM

Nah just did that besides it came on very sudden.I believe it might be the rear u-joint because I thought that heard that tell tail click whe I backed up after getting the mail. Now the question is do I replace all of the joints or just the bad one? The truck has 61k on it....
Thks

trik396 09-26-2011 07:13 PM

Change your u-joints. My rear joint went bad and I swore it was something in my front end... steering wheel vibes and such. Does it go away if you let off of the gas pedal? If so, I'd say with almost 100% certainty its a joint.

schoust 09-27-2011 06:15 AM

Yup sure does! Where did you get your joint's? Did you also do the Carrier bearing??I will be making more power as money alows the trany to be done so I want to try and do this right the 1st time....

AZ69DartGT 09-27-2011 09:40 PM

mine did the same thing!! fix it before it cracks your OD housing! I got one for sale too! Decided to get a new trans instead of replacing it.

trik396 09-27-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by schoust (Post 3024730)
Yup sure does! Where did you get your joint's? Did you also do the Carrier bearing??I will be making more power as money alows the trany to be done so I want to try and do this right the 1st time....

I got mine at my driveshaft guys shop. Neapco or Spicer. Get the greaseable ones. You can get em' online also. Make sure you get the correct ones. My driveshaft was slightly bent also but a good driveshaft guy can fix that.

Sur5er 09-29-2011 03:23 PM

Just did the rear U-joint on the rear DS this afternoon. This one has the plastic inserts instead of spring clips but the Spicer 5-801X with outside spring clips work[coffee]. I had purchased U-joints a while ago as a PM item and all of a sudden.................well after I removed the helper springs and swapped the spacers, I got this vibration. It was a high frequency vibe, not a tire balance issue. TMALSS, I had the Spicer 5-801X joints for the rear DS and was wondering if I had the correct parts.......I did, but it took a trip under the truck with my caliper[duhhh]. After wrestling the rear U-joint in and breaking my bench vice in the process:(, I called it a day[verymad] and reinstalled the DS. One of the caps on the rear joint was rusty and all the bearings were destroyed. As we all know, you have to drop the shaft to really know if the U-joint is good. BTW, the two piece driveshaft is one heavy piece of pipe[redface]

The 2 sizes of U-joints are with 1 3/16" end caps and 1 3/8" end caps.
Spicer 5-801X are the 1 3/16"
Spicer 5-803X are the 1 3/8"