3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bad miss .... Need a little help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bad miss .... Need a little help!!

Running rough....help me out
It's been a while since I've been on. The board was a big help a few years ago when I had blend door/ AC issues. Figured I could get come good input. Truck is a 2005 5.9L
So here's the deal - about six months ago, I went to crank my truck one afternoon leaving work and it took forever to start (like 15-20 seconds). First time it ever did not crank within 1 second. It had a real bad miss, to the point of the whole truck shaking. It got better as it warmed up so I went home and changed the fuel filter, dumped a gallon of PS in the tank and took it out and ran the dog sh*t out of it (not really just a little). Never happened again.....until yesterday morning. Temps here were in the 70's the day before and yesterday morning it got colder( like 35). Not cold enough to really affect anything in my opinion. So when I cranked it, it had a horrible miss and was blowing white smoke bad. But the smoke would clear up when i press the accelerator. Gets better once its warm but when it's cold, she sounds rough. Anybody have any input? I'm leaning toward injector issues but want some opinions
Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Would be my best guess as well, you need to get it diagnosed before it takes something bad out though.

You might want to post on the 3rd gen board, more guys would probably see it.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Sounds like a broken injector or an injector stuck open. I would not drive it.

Check your oil. If the oil is diluted and the level is high, your injector is leaking enough to have fuel wash down the cylinder wall and fill the crank case. If your oil is diluted with fuel, it will destroy your engine if you run it.

If your oil is good, you can try filling the fuel filter canister with power service and see if you can get the injector to unstick.

Another possibility is that you have some valve/head issues, if you have white smoke that disappears on heavier throttle. The fuel is not being burnt because of compression issues....

Hope you get it figured out. I wouldn't drive it until you figure something out, a Cummis isn't cheap.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
Would be my best guess as well, you need to get it diagnosed before it takes something bad out though.

You might want to post on the 3rd gen board, more guys would probably see it.
Thanks at least I'm not way off. I did post on the 3rd gen board, no responses

Originally Posted by madhat
Sounds like a broken injector or an injector stuck open. I would not drive it.

Check your oil. If the oil is diluted and the level is high, your injector is leaking enough to have fuel wash down the cylinder wall and fill the crank case. If your oil is diluted with fuel, it will destroy your engine if you run it.

If your oil is good, you can try filling the fuel filter canister with power service and see if you can get the injector to unstick.

Another possibility is that you have some valve/head issues, if you have white smoke that disappears on heavier throttle. The fuel is not being burnt because of compression issues....

Hope you get it figured out. I wouldn't drive it until you figure something out, a Cummis isn't cheap.
Changed the oil this morning, no issues there, or I should say I got the normal amount of oil out. Will try the PS thing. I hate to pay someone 2000 to change an injector lol thanks again