Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   anti-spin (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/anti-spin-23156/)

malibu 01-26-2003 09:04 PM

anti-spin

just thinking of trading my 2 wheel drive for a 4 wheel drive<br><br>never owned a 4 wheel drive before so i was wondering if i should order the anti-spin rear end<br><br>if i dont order it will i still have both rear wheels pulling in 4 wheel drive <br><br>maybe someone can explain to me how it works with anti-spin and and without ???<br> <br> thanks<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Nevada 01-26-2003 10:10 PM

Re:anti-spin

If you purchase a four wheel drive WITHOUT anti-spin you will actually have a two wheel drive vehicle. With an open differential (non-anti-spin) the differential will send the &quot;power&quot; the the wheel that is the easiest to spin (which will be the one with the least traction). Since the front differential is not available with anti-spin, the best you can hope for in real life is three wheel drive with the rear anti-spin option. The anti-spin (in very basic terms) senses if the two wheels are spinning at significantly different rates and if they are it sends nearly equal amounts of &quot;power&quot; to each wheel.<br><br>Sorry about the oversimplified explanation, there are several types of &quot;anti-spin&quot; devices, and the method used on the '03 models is different than previous years. In my experience the anti-spin in the '03 trucks is superior to the previous Dana clutch pack system (I have had both).<br><br>Hope that helps.

01-26-2003 11:05 PM

As Nevada says, get the &quot;anti-spin&quot;. Don't know what it costs now, but on my 95 it was a $200 option if I recall. WELL worth the $$$$!!! You can't even come close to buying an aftermarket unit and installing it for anywhere near the option cost. The PowerTrak (Dana clutch type as Nevada notes) in my dana80 is not ideal (on the weak side), but I rebuilt it easily enough - and staggered more plates/discs for better lockup. Think the cone washer style of the Dana 70/PowerLok is actually better, but anything is better than an open differential. Sorry, can't tell you anything about the new units mentioned, as not familiar with them in Dodges yet. I work in construction/off road a lot - and the limited slip has saved my butt more than once... Of course, it makes driving in snow/ice interesting if you aren't used to it :o
Just my .02 ...
-Scott

ps - Nevada, what type of system does the '03 use? Gear drive, friction cones, or ? Thx

malibu 01-27-2003 04:45 PM

thanks navada and shire for the info<br><br>shire i come through asheville a lot during the summer months<br><br>we camp a lot in maggie valley and go to pigeon forge a lot<br><br>i am always glad when i make it down the mtn when coming home :)

Heartbreaker 01-27-2003 09:12 PM

Navada, can you shine any light on the one now in use, AA GT I think with heilical gears. You've had both, howd this type hold up and perform. I have a Detroit locker in my Ford. IMHO that Detriot is the greatest thing since sliced bread but I don't believe its available for the 11.5&quot;.

Nevada 01-27-2003 10:32 PM

Heartbreaker,

Sorry that I have no tech specs on the unit, and I have not opened mine up to have a look yet. I am fairly certain that it has no clutch packs (no friction modifier required is a smoking gun for no clutch packs). I can tell you that it hooks up with less torque and tracks straighter than the previous Dana design by my SOTP analysis. I have had the other style in several Ram's. My 2003 is number 7. I agree that you can't beat a locker, but they are overkill for applications that don't either race or go off-road, not to mention that they make driving around parking lots and on ice a lot more fun than it needs to be.

Cheers.

01-27-2003 11:17 PM

[quote author=malibu link=board=20;threadid=10142;start=0#97135 date=1043707540]<br>[...]<br>i am always glad when i make it down the mtn when coming home :)<br>[/quote]<br>Me too, especially lately w/all the ice we've had. Real fun on all those shaded north face mountain roads. Going up not a problem, going down... well... Course that's where people want their houses - higher the better.<br><br>Found this link for AA /diffs, but has little useful info (why not surprised). Pictures anyway... ;D<br>http://www.americanaxle.com/technolo...d_dl_diff.html<br><br>Regards,<br>-Scott

Heartbreaker 01-28-2003 11:55 PM

Navada<br>I got the Ford LS when I got my truck. Some folks think they work great and like them just fine. I'm not one of them though. I have a tallent for getting in deep stuff and that LS wasn't any good in wet grass. Replaced the LS with the Detroit and it was love at first bite. Yea it can be agravating on the road though but its never let me down when it counted. Still I'm looking forward to this new axle..........and the truck that comes with it. ;D

westcoaster 01-29-2003 09:02 PM

I'll throw something else out there... When I first got my '93 in '93 I spent all my time running around empty. I don't know if the clutch packs on my truck were set up too tight, but, tire wear appeared to be excessive. (on the rear) The clutch packs have now worn out to the point where they are useless and I am quite happy about it. tire wear is now more reasonable. I do quite a bit of &quot;off road&quot; but nothing really radical.(bent metal and broken parts stuff) I havn't missed the lsd.<br>I was thinking about skipping the lsd in my new truck but I will have to give it a second look with the new design... More research...<br>

Heartbreaker 01-30-2003 09:40 PM

Westcoaster<br><br>I called American Axle to find out about it. They said its the TracRite GT.<br><br>http://aam.com/technology/tech_prod_dl_diff.html#TRGT<br><br>I'm hoping it will hold up. Just don't know how the &quot;break shoe&quot; part will last.