Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   aftermarket chips! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/aftermarket-chips-208142/)

sinawalli 06-13-2008 09:36 PM

aftermarket chips!

I am looking at a chip, it is a Hypertech Max Energy, and it claims to save .17 cents a liter, 20 % increase to fuel economy. Are they that good? What can you expect for fuel economy? Pros and cons? It is worth just under $400. Is there a better one? I am looking primarily for fuel economy, with a bit or horse power increase. Read about the Quad milage pro, how much does it cost for the upgrade download? Thanks!!

snoyes 06-14-2008 09:01 AM

If you put some information in your signature then most guys can relate a little better to help you out. As for the chip, well, these truck actually use programmers now.

Anything claiming to give you that much increase fuel mileage always seems to be stretching the truth. I have heard some say they have increased their milieage by about 1 MPG, but 20% seems high. I have never realized an increase in fuel mileage in any of the chips or programmers I have run, but that could be attributed to driving style. With more power comes the need to step on that skinny pedal a little harder most of the time... Anyway, if you chose to get one report back and let us know how it performs...

Jason_K 06-14-2008 10:06 AM

x2 on the signature. not too many people seem to run the hypertech, that ought to say something in itself. not sure what year your truck is but a smarty, bullydog(not chips but programers), quadzilla, or edge might be a better idea

sinawalli 06-14-2008 10:11 AM

Thanks! I am looking at the Quadzilla, or Edge in the DTR store. From what I've read, these seem to work. Also, don't want to leave any "footprints" for the dealer to find!!

rockcrawler304 06-14-2008 10:29 AM

I have the Quad MMM and very few other mods (see sig) and I am happy with it. I have seen between 1 and 2 mpg increase depending on driving conditions. I have been using it since December 07.

Any downloaded changes are free but if you want to upgrade it to the XZT, then there is a charge for that.

DaveB.inVa 06-14-2008 12:06 PM

My vote goes for the Smarty. I picked up a solid 1.5 mpg along with some power too. With all the flexibility Smarty provides you can't go wrong.

The ONLY thing I can EVER think of that the Smarty can't do is change power levels on the fly. Of course thats the case with all programmers. However among programmers and all power adders, Smarty is head and shoulders above the rest.

Smarty is available in the DTR store too.

chipmonk 06-14-2008 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by DaveB.inVa (Post 2116096)

The ONLY thing I can EVER think of that the Smarty can't do is change power levels on the fly. Of course thats the case with all programmers.

.......except Bully Dog. :D