3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

70mph Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just took my new 2500 HD diesel out on I-75. Ran about 15 miles between 75-80. So far no vibe. Hope it stays that way.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:28 PM

Is there a TSB number to go along with the new driveshaft. I'll be on the phone with every dealership in slc Utah next week...
MG, Sounds like you ave a good one!
Old 11-18-2004, 11:51 AM

Over there to the left in my gallery is a pick of the new aluminum drive shaft with a damper on the yoke and a damper bolted to the frame cross member. As it stands, it looks like the only way to get one of these is to buy the truck it's bolted to. We're 714 miles away from home right now in Meridian Mississippi and the pic was taken at the local dealership. If the truck were a long bed I would be writing up the paperwork on it now. Then I'd have to transfer my hitch to it in the campground before the owner caught on. They have some nice trucks there but all are short bed...
And the sales gal was over 6' tall with long brunette hair and green eyes.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:34 AM

I just got my truck back they put a New Aluminum drive shaft on the rear as well as the front, But in Utah they painted it black for some reason. And my Vide is gone I can go between 70-75 MPH just fine and no more Vide I am so happy.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:16 AM

I'm still unable to find a Doug Smith dealership in slc Utah so I can enlighten the folks at our local dealership. They say book only shows two shafts for my truck and both are steel.
Glad yours is fixed...
Old 11-19-2004, 12:43 PM

I just called their service dept.,and the advisor said they are putting in new driveshafts,front and rear,after they send them out for balancing.He said they've fixed about 9 trucks that way.
I'm going to try one last time.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by routerguy99
I just got my truck back they put a New Aluminum drive shaft on the rear as well as the front, But in Utah they painted it black for some reason. And my Vide is gone I can go between 70-75 MPH just fine and no more Vide I am so happy.
Routerguy are you sure the driveshaft is aluminum?

Assuming you went to Doug Smith,the advisor I spoke with said he's never seen an aluminum replacement.
Only alum. on the 2005s. Thanks
Old 11-19-2004, 02:06 PM

Yes I can post the Part Numbers in Talk to Dave in there service Dept. or Dennise they seem to have there sh*t togaher. Also they painted it Black or it came in Black, one or the other, Becouse of the salt and alum. I didnt get it, but hey I have 2 new shafts Alum. and no Vides.

Front and Rear.. Dont know which is which
Part Numbers # 52853185ac
part number # 52105934ae

http://www.dsmithautoplex.com/
Old 11-20-2004, 01:03 PM

I just talked to a salesman at the local dealership here in Meridian Mississippi. He said they've replaced a few steel drive shafts with aluminum for the vibration problem. He said he'd be happy to sell me a new truck or fix me up for an aluminum drive shaft for mine. No pressure whatsoever. Trouble is we're leaving for Florida in the morning. He said how much quieter the new 610 is over my '03 S/O even as quiet as it is. I believe the dealership I've been trying to work with in Clearwater Fl is flat out lying to me about it in order to pressure me into buying a new truck. We'll be back up here in Meridian after New Year and if I do buy a new truck it will be from this dealership. It's a whole different atmosphere up here. Probably the difference between family owned and corporate owned...
BTW, he said the tall brunette is 6'2" and wears 3" heels. Man what a knockout!
Old 11-24-2004, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is far too important an issue to let fall into obscurity. I think people are reaching the ends of their ropes with this problem. I pity the owners of 03s that have suffered this.

It finally looks like there may be help on the horizon. I think this is important enough to make the topic "sticky". Anyone else agree?

Jack, what do you think?
Old 11-24-2004, 08:13 PM

I took an '04 2500 LB QC Hemi with auto/3.73 for a ride today. It has a steel rusty shaft like mine and no weights on the chassis or cross member. It was smooth as silk. I was up to 75 and didn't even realize it. The 5spd tranny with a real tow/haul mode works fantastic. In tow/haul mode it even downshifted running empty when I let off the gas going downhill very smooth and held the speed back. I came real close to trading.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:49 PM

Canada Vibe Fixing ?

Are there any Canadian owners getting the vibe fixed here in the land of great beer ? How about in the AB, BC area ? Just curious ?
Old 11-25-2004, 05:46 PM

With all that shivvering up there in the cold, how can you tell if it's you or the truck?

I found this article while searching driveline vibrations. I still haven't ruled out driveline angles as there are several different height carrier bearing brackets listed for our trucks. I'm thinking of buying a cheap inclinometer this weekend and check mine out. Occording to my shop manual, driveshaft balance should show up at a lower speed than 65mph but driveline angle vibration does show up at those higher speeds. If the front shaft on the 4X4s has more than 5* angle, I could see how it would cause a vibration after reading this and our low ratios both 3.73 and 4.10.

http://www.4x4now.com/gt0899.htm

Here's some shade tree mechanics who've apparently found out just how critical driveline angles are. I'm finding out as I read...

http://www.f150online.com/forums/arc...c/86469-1.html

And another. Not a 2500 with a Cummins but it does give some ideas.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-49-98.htm

One more little tidbit from the sevice manual for my '03.

PROPELLER SHAFT
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
PROPELLER SHAFT VIBRATION
Tires that are out-of-round or wheels that are
unbalanced, will cause a low frequency vibration.
Brake drums that are unbalanced will cause a
harsh, low frequency vibration.
Driveline vibration can also result from loose or
damaged engine mounts.
Propeller shaft vibration increases as the vehicle
speed is increased. A vibration that occurs within a
specific speed range is not usually caused by a propeller
shaft being unbalanced. Defective universal
joints or an incorrect propeller shaft angle are usually
the cause of such a vibration.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:21 PM

Vib

Showed my dealer, (Bosco Dodge of Ct) driveshaft part #'s listed in this forum.
Amazingly, they have ordered new aluminums and seem genuine in thier efforts to fix my truck. Keep ya,s posted.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:26 PM

Mine's fixed. Not a popular fix here but it works for me! If not, I'll be back in a Dodge Cummins next time again. I'll keep you all posted with real info for comparison. So far with 55miles on the clock, the overhead is showing 14.5mpg. The Cummins in the same driving area got 16-18mpg. Very smooth and quiet. It even came with an optional gas pump to mount next to the driveway at the house!
Will I miss my Cummins? Sure I will. I miss my '01.5 too. But I've owned diesels since '84. I'm taking a break from it and will probably be back in one next time. But I'll never buy another vehicle without a good highway test drive and I'll probably not buy another first year model.

Quick Reply: 70mph Vibration