3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

65-70MPH Vibration....

Old 10-12-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
65-70MPH Vibration....

Well, a lot of us have or have experienced the 65-70mph vibration. I've been told it because of the front driveline spinning and that is the speed it has a slight vibration at. With the stock size tires and wheels on, truck has always done it. When I put on a set of 20's and 35's, the vibration went away. Got tired of those wheels, so put on a set of 18's with 33's. Still, no vibration. After getting tired of those wheels, I purchased a set of aftermarket 17's with 32's and vibration came back. Drives me nuts. To double check, I put on the original stock tires and wheels which are 17's and I believe 32 inches tall that came with the truck. Still, vibration continued. Went to tire shop, swapped them back out and put on the 20's. No vibration. What the heck. Does anyone have an idea on why I only have this 65-70mph vibration with stock tires and wheels? Any help would be great, since 65-70 is about our speed limit around here.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By increasing the overall dimension of the wheel/tire, maybe you have simply changed the speed at which the vibration starts. You have effectively made the final drive ratio taller. If this is the case, try going above the old trouble range and see if the vibe occurs at a higher speed. My vibe has never gone away. I've just adjusted to live with it. I am running all stock sizes.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM

Vibration does go away at around 73ish with the stock size. With the much taller tires, the vibration is never there at any speed up to 100mph. Just can't figure it out.....driving me nuts. Going to have the tires balanced....again.... and maybe the drivelines.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 PM

Rule of thumb

Rule of thumb is if you can drive through the vibration(gets better faster you go), the problem is in tires or balancing. If the vibes get worse with speed, drive line inclination or u-joint wearing might be happening. Hope this helps you.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by pistonbroke
Rule of thumb is if you can drive through the vibration(gets better faster you go), the problem is in tires or balancing. If the vibes get worse with speed, drive line inclination or u-joint wearing might be happening. Hope this helps you.
Thanks. Never really thought of it that way. I'll take them in to a different shop and have them balanced again. Ill repost. Thanks again.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Balanced or out of round. Could be a wheel out of round also. Always look for the wheel or tire issue if it happens right at that magical harmonization speed.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:34 PM

Out of round? How do I figure out which wheel is "out of round?" I'm not sure if its the tires yet....still need to take it back in again for another balance job. If that don't work, what do I look for as far as the wheels?
Old 10-17-2010, 07:45 PM

Isn't a tire vibe felt in the steering wheel a little? Pull the front DS to see if it goes away. I didn't have vibes but when I put the free spin kit on I noticed a difference in noise and vibes.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:27 PM

The vibration vibrates everything. Litterally. My dash, steering wheel, doors, etc.... It has to be the tires. Gonna drop truck off Monday and see if they can try to balance again. If that does not resolve issue, I'll pull the front DS.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:56 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Wheewwww...vibrates everything???? That doesn't sound good at all. Mine would do the same thing but only when I hit the brakes to slow down. My problem was 3 FROZEN u-joints. Sounds like you have other issues.....I hate anything out of the ordinary with my truck so I know where you're coming from. Hope you get it figured out....keep us posted.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 PM

Well.... a few things. First, front driveline had a pretty sloppy u joint. Replaced that and vibration was now half as bad, but still there. Second...took truck for the 3rd time to a different shop and had tires balanced. Is is 3 times in a month. All tires were within an once, but the front drivers side was 6 ounces off. Not sure about how much is too much, but they said that is way to far off. Now, feels like a new truck. Very smooth. Thanks for the help guys. Something so simple....shouldn't have taken 3 trips to the tire shop to get it right.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 AM

Keep an eye on that one tire for future "out of round" and other issues.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you found the issue, one other thing to keep in mind is the driveshaft. I had a VERY slight vibration, tires were fine, etc, got all the ujoints checked, and it only did it between 65 and 70.
Balanced the driveshft and now all is well.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:26 PM

Oh man.....my vibration is back! It seemed fine for a while, now its terrible...again. I can feel it start at around 25mph and it gets worse the faster I go. U joints feel tight....no play if that means anything. Maybe they can be bad, and still be tight. Ball joints have zero play as well. Not sure if its the driveline or not. If it is, how do they just get out balance like that? What else is there to look for? Thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no experience with them personally, but know quite a few people using Dyna Beads in their motorcycle tires.

If you've got an oblong tire or one that's impossible to maintain it's balance, they might be worth checking out?

I'm trying them the next time I get new tires on anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 65-70MPH Vibration....