3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48re finally dying?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48re finally dying?

Guys I’ve been “limping” a dying trans for 10 years. I have a company pickup for my day job so I haven’t put many miles on it the last 10 years (maybe 30k) but for the entire life of the pickup it’s pulled a trailer. A few weeks ago I was delivering some firewood and got in loose soil backing up and something broke loose and a burnt trans oil smell rolled out. So since then I’ve been having to use low range to reverse with a loaded trailer. Well today It failed to move in foreward in mud loaded. No burnt smell. But now it shifts real funny in 2 and 3.

Anytiing worth a try to get me another month or so down the road? In the past I’ve dumped the pan and added fresh oil and a quart of Lucas. Im in the heat of firewwood season so I’d love to kick this down the road a bit.

Pickup is 05, auto obviously. 126k miles. Has smarty on #3, Small injectors, Bhaf. Driven sane obviously since trans lasted this long pulling heavy 1/2 time empty half.

Im tempted to try a rebuild myself. I’m very mechanical, but have never done a transmission. Just engines, differentials, farm stuff, etc.

Last edited by SamT; 12-13-2018 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted before done.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:15 PM

Sam on our slush box trans. What I have researched on which I just performed on my 1996 12 valve with a 47re trans. which really made it shift like a new trans. was I replaced my Governor pressure solenoid in the trans. which from what I understand will work on 48re also. It is a GM pressure solenoid on a Dodge part. $172 dollars for it. Look on you tube about it. I got mine from Thoroughbred Diesel. Ain't saying that will fix yours.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:18 PM

You can try adjusting the bands... may buy you some time. If they are burnt and beyond adjustment there are "slip in" bands that can be replaced without tearing the tranny apart. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys. I’m gonna dump the oil today and add some Lucas to it. I’ll see about adjusting the bands. I know that’s never been done.

If if I put a whole new valve body in it would that be something I could reuse when I rebuild?

Im really thinking about just pulling the thing buying a manual and going for the rebuild myself.
I figure a $800 built valve body, $800 upgraded torque converter, and a $300 Mopar rebuild kit will get me back in business a lot better than stock won’t it?

Ive made it through a couple boat stern drive rebuilds with a good manual. I’m just having a hard time stomaching what the labor bill is at the trans shop from what I’m thinking the parts cost. And no one selling mild built transmissions will warranty one of I install it myself. I’ve been quoted $3300 for a stock trans that I’m scared wont be as good as it was new up to $7800 for a racing trans. $5800 for the kinda trans I’m talking about building. Just seems like the labor is 3X the parts. I don’t mind paying for labor, but looks like I’m paying for the warranty cost of folks that abuse the transmissions.

Last edited by SamT; 12-15-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Hit send too quick.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently posted on this forum a question about the 48RE longevity and got a few responses. As with any other question I got a variety of responses, some very good others not. I ask a friend of mine who runs a reputable garage about his preference for transmission work in our area. He does not do transmissions. I pull a 5th wheel rv all over the US and just worried about being on the road and having transmission problems away from home. I was considering a rebuild even though my transmission seems perfect at this point with 107K miles. It's had three fluid changes in that 107K miles of use, engine totally stock. He suggested that I not worry about it until it happens and if it does happen just find a garage that will order and install a Jasper Re Manufactured transmission. They have a three year 100K mile warranty good in every state. So if I drive away after a replacement and get 500 miles down the road it's still covered by a Jasper dealer. The cost is around $3000. Transmissions are complex and you may or may not be able to pull off a rebuild on your own. At any rate it will be very time consuming, hard work and will give you a questionable transmission. I also have done Mercruiser outdrive work on my boats and I would think it's a walk in the park compared to a transmission rebuild. Maybe not. This is just my humble opinion. In my years of turning a wrench and doing many things for myself some of it worked out some did not and then I was in to it more deeply $$$$ to have it done again. Good luck to you and keep this forum posted on your decision and outcome. I don't think a governor pressure solenoid is a real hard job. I can't tell you for certain it will help but this seems to get a lot of attention on this and other forums.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:50 PM

I had read good reviews about the jaspers, I called a local jasper dealer and they quoted me $6200. I about crapped myself since I can go to DFW and have a built trans installed for that.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by SamT
I had read good reviews about the jaspers, I called a local jasper dealer and they quoted me $6200. I about crapped myself since I can go to DFW and have a built trans installed for that.
The shop that I talked to actually quoted $3200 for a OEM transmisson and I don't believe this included the torque converter. However a modified built unit with all the things that make it good for engines that are modified would be about $1200 more.........plus installation charges and I did not ask what that was. He is a friend of mine and I assumed he would not charge too much.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:41 PM

I did find a local mechanic who has done some 48re transmissions before that’s a friend of my dads. He’s been just installing the transmissions from rock auto lately, but he told me to bring him a cord of firewood and all the parts and he’d help me rebuild it and I could use his rack and stuff while he is doing other stuff.

That spunds like a heck of deal to me. I get to learn something with a guy that’s a pro mechanic looking over my shoulder. He doesn’t know anything about performance upgrades though. Works on a huge variety of stuff from cars to tractors.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by SamT
I did find a local mechanic who has done some 48re transmissions before that’s a friend of my dads. He’s been just installing the transmissions from rock auto lately, but he told me to bring him a cord of firewood and all the parts and he’d help me rebuild it and I could use his rack and stuff while he is doing other stuff.

That spunds like a heck of deal to me. I get to learn something with a guy that’s a pro mechanic looking over my shoulder. He doesn’t know anything about performance upgrades though. Works on a huge variety of stuff from cars to tractors.
Sounds like an offer too good to turn down!! Go for it and keep this thread informed.