3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2006 Truck going into 4 low on its own

Old 05-31-2013, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 going into 4 lo

i;m thinking that maybe that your tc motor is faulty even though its new, it could be ,or you have a short some were in your wires,good luck man ,that would drive me crazy too, do all you have done and its still happening
Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Because I can't figure this out and neither can the shop, I'm running it with the TC actuator wire disconnected.

And now today, cruising down the highway at 73 mph, the flashers flash on and the horn beeped. At the same time. Flash Beep. Flash Beep. Then good for a quarter mile then a couple more flash beeps.

It stops when I'm not in cruise.

After 20 miles it wouldn't do it again. Then it did it once an hour later.

Stupid computer I suppose?

Old 06-29-2013, 07:30 AM

I dont know if helps but i recieved a recall on my 2005 jeep grand limited for the electronic transfercase shifting on it own while vehicle is in motion. I am waiting for them to call me to schedule a time.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:08 PM

Update:

We may have this thing licked....

I took it back to the service company I now dearly love....

They haven't charged a penny after the first service work of swapping out the TIPM.

This time they cleared a day and put two guys on the truck. They tested everything again. No problems would come up of course.

Then they pulled the harness out. I'm not sure which one, I have a call in to get it clarified, but they said the harness is on the bench when I spoke to them last week, so I think they actually pulled a harness.

They tested every wire and said they found several loose pins, including at least one directly related to the TC.

I picked the truck up last Friday and so far it has worked perfectly.

O know a couple days of driving isn't definitive, but I am really optimistic this time!

The following users liked this post:
Battboy275 (03-12-2021)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:45 PM

Good Grief! I just got through reading this entire thread and this must be some kind of painful! Lost Lake, I sure hope those loose pins were the culprit, I know those kinds of things can be on an aircraft and cause a whole lot of pain. I sure hope this works out for you and this finally fixes your issue.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:33 AM

I'm calling this problem RESOLVED.

I touched base with the tech that did the last work on my truck. What he did was a 'pin test' where he removed the TIPM connection that leads to the TC actuator. Several pins were not gripping like they should.

I guess what this entails is inserting a pin in each electrical connection and seeing how much resistance it has against pulling the pin out. The tech said several connections has very little grip on the pin.

He tightened those connections so they would grip the pin on the pigtail better, then coated everything with dielectric grease and I have had no problems since then.

They recommend removing all pigtails from the TIPM and checking all connections and greasing everything.

I hope this helps someone with the same problem down the road. Before you replace the TIPM or TC motor assembly, check the electrical connections at all the pigtails and make sure the connection is solid. Add dielectric grease and see if that resolves the issue.

I wonder how many TIPM's were replaced unnecessarily???

Battboy275 (03-12-2021)
Old 01-21-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same Problem here / fixed just like you did

Will I just recently purchased a second hand 2007 Ram 1500 4x4 QC. TC was shot, chain loose and jumpin inside when throttle was applied in 4x4. TC shifting on it's own. Front axles worn out and had to be replaced.

Dealership replaced TC with a good used one, but when testing it shifted on it's own to 4LO twice. Brought back to shop and checked out wiring at pigtail join. Discovered wires were tampered with and two connected wrong. Previous owner must have had same problem but just didn't know how to fix.

fixed up wires and tightened up pins in pigtail and everything is back to normal. This should be a re-call as whoever manufacturing these wiring harness has gotten it wrong.

I wonder how long this has been going on, and when or if ever was it corrected by manufacturer?

This thread is a must read for Dodge 4x4 owners, as I'm sure components have been replaced for nothing.
Battboy275 (03-12-2021)
Old 11-07-2016, 06:38 AM

Sorry to pull up such an old post but I have a 2006 2500 MegaCab that is doing the exact same thing to include firing the 4WD servo with the truck shut off. Can you explain exactly what harness was adjusted and is the 4WD on this truck still working correctly?

Originally Posted by Lost Lake
I'm calling this problem RESOLVED.

I touched base with the tech that did the last work on my truck. What he did was a 'pin test' where he removed the TIPM connection that leads to the TC actuator. Several pins were not gripping like they should.

I guess what this entails is inserting a pin in each electrical connection and seeing how much resistance it has against pulling the pin out. The tech said several connections has very little grip on the pin.

He tightened those connections so they would grip the pin on the pigtail better, then coated everything with dielectric grease and I have had no problems since then.

They recommend removing all pigtails from the TIPM and checking all connections and greasing everything.

I hope this helps someone with the same problem down the road. Before you replace the TIPM or TC motor assembly, check the electrical connections at all the pigtails and make sure the connection is solid. Add dielectric grease and see if that resolves the issue.

I wonder how many TIPM's were replaced unnecessarily???

Old 11-07-2016, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by skidsareforkids
Sorry to pull up such an old post but I have a 2006 2500 MegaCab that is doing the exact same thing to include firing the 4WD servo with the truck shut off. Can you explain exactly what harness was adjusted and is the 4WD on this truck still working correctly?
He was last here in Jan. 2014, so I doubt that he has the truck any longer..... sorry.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:57 AM

Sounds to me that the TIPM is just faulty in itself, that or a bad connection in the 4wd system. Any recent updates or notes? Have you had the truck ecm/ecu flashed recently?
Old 11-25-2016, 09:29 AM

Had my shop take a look at it and they couldn't get the truck to misbehave. I picked it up and ten miles down the road it started going crazy. Now that I think about it, it doesn't usually start until the truck has been driven for a bit and then gets worse the more you drive it. No recent ecm/ecu reflash. I'm leaning towards a TIPM also. They traced the wiring harness and checked all connections and ruled that out. I don't see how the TC motor could be causing this especially with the truck off so I am also leaning towards the TIPM.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:42 AM

Just had my computer he flashed

Just had my computer he flashed. And now my truck is doing exactly the same thing. on the highway it will bounce in and out of four-wheel-drive. With no lights flickering on the dash. Any suggestions on where to start looking for the source of this problem.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any new suggestions on this. My '06 started acting wacky last night flashing lights then today it engaged 4 high and wouldn't disengage. I ended up pulling the front driveshaft and unplugging the tcase motor so I could drive it.

I'd love to convert it to a manual shifter.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:21 PM

Lost Lake, I Had the same issue on my truck not long ago. I spent the 1K for a new TIPM and it didn't fix it. What it was was the shift motor on the transfer case. If it's not used a lot it fails. I found a replacement (don't remember where) that cost around $400. It's an extremely simple repair, just R&R. I think it's like 3 bolts. You just have to pay attention to how it's clocked before installing. Instructions came with it. It took me maybe 10 minutes and I was very cautious. I hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
There are several things that can cause this issue. It has been a while since I messed with it. But, I did do two things that did NOT fix it for me before I converted to manual shift.

Originally Posted by nvrenuf
Any new suggestions on this. My '06 started acting wacky last night flashing lights then today it engaged 4 high and wouldn't disengage. I ended up pulling the front driveshaft and unplugging the tcase motor so I could drive it.

I'd love to convert it to a manual shifter.
Issues with the lights leads me to suspect the TIPM. Or more accurately, the connections where the module plugs in to the side of it.

Originally Posted by ramitred
Lost Lake, I Had the same issue on my truck not long ago. I spent the 1K for a new TIPM and it didn't fix it. What it was was the shift motor on the transfer case. If it's not used a lot it fails. I found a replacement (don't remember where) that cost around $400. It's an extremely simple repair, just R&R. I think it's like 3 bolts. You just have to pay attention to how it's clocked before installing. Instructions came with it. It took me maybe 10 minutes and I was very cautious. I hope this helps.
I replaced that motor TWICE when mine was acting up. warrantied the first part because it did not fix the issue. After the second motor did not fix it, and neither did the TIPM, I was convinced the manual shift swap was for me! My truck has not shifted itself in to 4x4 since!

I am sure it was a wiring issue. But, I was not up for finding it. Even though I am pretty convinced it was one of the big plugs on the bottom of the TIPM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Truck going into 4 low on its own