Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   2005 cummins 48re skipping 2nd gear at light throttle (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/2005-cummins-48re-skipping-2nd-gear-light-throttle-325975/)

EtienneCTD 08-29-2016 06:46 PM

2005 cummins 48re skipping 2nd gear at light throttle

Hi there, Im new to this forum and this is my first post. Im from Quebec/Canada and I own a 2005 Ram 3500 CTD with a 4wd 48re A/T.

I have a problem that we cannot resolve. Im a mechanic, and 3 other transmission shop tried to help me.

My truck skip the 2nd gear at light throttle, sometimes it shift the 2nd but really really quickly. But most of the time it goes straight to 3rd.

Above 50% it shifts like a charm. All gears shift smootely and in time.

At first the transmission was 100% Stock never opened. 190 000km.
I changed the GOV solenoid and transducer for mopar new ones and I adjusted the bands. No changes at all. After that I opened the trans for a complete rebuilt. We tried a lot of things and the trouble has never changed at all.
What we do is:
-complete rebuilt (Seals, Clutch, 2nd billet band, sonnax servo and accumulator, transgo shift kit, DNI GOV pressure solenoid (big GM solenoid) with a new transducer Again. No changes
- remove the Valve Body and put a racing Rebuilt one from a local Trans shop. No changes
- return the valve body because there was a 1-2 hunt problem, they sent me another one, no hunt anymore but still skipping 2nd.
- changed the output Shaft speed sensor
- changed the TTVA motor
- open the old TTVA Motor and give 1 thoot advance, no changes
- reprogram the TCM with the latest mopar prog, no changes
- clean all the batterie post and all the chassis ground
- put some foil on positive cable to isolate from electric noise
-unplug alternator to see if any noise could make this problem
- datalog many times to see if the gov desired pressure follow the actual pressure. Always perfect
- when the scanner tell the transmission is in 2nd gear, its actually in 3rd

I may forget to mention some détails ..

Someone want to help us to resolve this mystery problem?

EtienneCTD 09-03-2016 04:18 PM

Nobody?

bullrambler 09-04-2016 10:53 AM

Usually it's the GOV solenoid and transducer sensors. I trust you changed out your transmission fluid. The 4wd 48re A/T is generally seen as a decent transmission.

Seabiscuit 09-07-2016 04:01 PM

second gear

wow That's wild it sometimes skips second gear. Could it be a connector where the signals come into the transmission from the ECU? If it has been in salt, especially in winter, it wreaks havoc on electrical connectors. You had to look at those connectors since you unplugged them to remove the transmission for rebuild? Make sure they are not corroded, it will be hard to tell of the female connector side. Is the female connector on the transmission side or the ECU side ? You said the signal is good when reading it with scanner tool, I wonder if it gets distorted after the connector to the wire into the trans ?
Use good dielectric grease.

That's all I can add cause you surely know more than I do on the transmission and have checked everything I though of ! see if you can add a new ground wire to the transmission? just to see if it helps.
I hope you find it,
keep us posted,
Best regards
Biscuit

junebug95628 09-13-2016 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by bullrambler (Post 3310999)
.... The 4wd 48re A/T is generally seen as a decent transmission.

spit my lunch out on that one [laugh]

steelblitzkrieg 09-15-2016 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by junebug95628 (Post 3311638)
spit my lunch out on that one [laugh]

Mine went 120K with 35" tires and Quadzilla on the 100hp setting all the time?

I've removed the quad, not due to tranny failure, due to my no needing it anymore.

saggonwaggon91 09-15-2016 08:49 PM

Mine ran 322000 miles delivering campers and only had 1 fluid and filter change. Bone stock 2005 2500. Started not downshifting into first when we came to a stop when we traded it off.

Seabiscuit 09-19-2016 10:03 PM

Impressive

>"320K miles" <

wow, that's impressive.
I am changing the fluid in mine tomorrow. 38k miles.
I plan to put a new PML transmission pan on it that has a drain plug and holds an extra quart or two of fluid.
I have the new sensor and the new Borg Warner solenoid with filter all ready to go in.
I have 16 quarts of NAPA and Valvoline ATF-4 ready to go in it, ( if that much drains out) On the Napa fluid bottles it says made by Valvoline, so that is good.
I'm excited and kinda scared at the same time to drop the pan. I think I am ready. I have watched bunches of youtube videos and read part of two transmission books on Chrysler transmissions.

The gasket is suppose to be reusable. ( kinda worried about that ) Should I put gasket sealer or any thin layer of silicon (ATV) on it when I put it back on?
I seen one video where some guy used 'grease' on the gasket.
That's the only part I have 'more' doubts.

Thanks
biscuit,

dpss 03-08-2017 09:37 AM

smae thing 1st to 3rd on light pedal

did you ever figure out why it shifts to 3rd as i have the same problem after rebuild

dpss 09-30-2018 09:24 PM

Did you ever find out what was causing it to skip 2nd gear???

Why was your 48re e skipping 2nd gear on light throttle

Islandbasher 02-27-2019 12:58 PM

Skipping 2nd or quick upshift 3rd under light throttle.

I have the same issue as well. Skipping 2nd or quickshift to 3rd under light throttle. Also no downshift to 2nd until 14mph(20kmh) no matter how hard you step on the throttle. 05 3500 130000km on truck.Transgo,billet bits inside,bw solnoid,bd transducer upgrade. Smarty touch run on all power levels but kept on stock torque management. Any help would be appriciated.

Liamhogg 08-17-2022 05:14 PM

05 doing same thing wondering if you got it ?

Originally Posted by EtienneCTD (Post 3310659)
Hi there, Im new to this forum and this is my first post. Im from Quebec/Canada and I own a 2005 Ram 3500 CTD with a 4wd 48re A/T.

I have a problem that we cannot resolve. Im a mechanic, and 3 other transmission shop tried to help me.

My truck skip the 2nd gear at light throttle, sometimes it shift the 2nd but really really quickly. But most of the time it goes straight to 3rd.

Above 50% it shifts like a charm. All gears shift smootely and in time.

At first the transmission was 100% Stock never opened. 190 000km.
I changed the GOV solenoid and transducer for mopar new ones and I adjusted the bands. No changes at all. After that I opened the trans for a complete rebuilt. We tried a lot of things and the trouble has never changed at all.
What we do is:
-complete rebuilt (Seals, Clutch, 2nd billet band, sonnax servo and accumulator, transgo shift kit, DNI GOV pressure solenoid (big GM solenoid) with a new transducer Again. No changes
- remove the Valve Body and put a racing Rebuilt one from a local Trans shop. No changes
- return the valve body because there was a 1-2 hunt problem, they sent me another one, no hunt anymore but still skipping 2nd.
- changed the output Shaft speed sensor
- changed the TTVA motor
- open the old TTVA Motor and give 1 thoot advance, no changes
- reprogram the TCM with the latest mopar prog, no changes
- clean all the batterie post and all the chassis ground
- put some foil on positive cable to isolate from electric noise
-unplug alternator to see if any noise could make this problem
- datalog many times to see if the gov desired pressure follow the actual pressure. Always perfect
- when the scanner tell the transmission is in 2nd gear, its actually in 3rd

I may forget to mention some détails ..

Someone want to help us to resolve this mystery problem?

Did you ever find this out I am having the same issue ?