3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2003 no start with starter, but bump starts perfect

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 no start with starter, but bump starts perfect

Friend picked up a 03 3500 4x4 6mt with 290k on it, ran perfect, mechanically perfect, no check engine lights and no blowby- it had 2 problems 1. it smokes like a tire fire black smoke even at steady throttle and has low power and 2. long crank times when cold..... then today, now no start unless its pulled down the road, then it fires right up and runs flawlessly even restarts with the key perfect. ***? We put in a new crank sensor, but that did not help. When pull started it fired at walking speed in 2nd gear, a very low rpm so im really stumped at why it fires like that but not with the key. Tried new battery's, no go. I figured the rail is leaking down, so cranked until the battery died and it never fired. No codes & no clues. About ready to suggest P pumping the thing, anyone on here experience anything of the sort?
Old 11-03-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just a update, new batterys and lift pump seems to be working- bump starts perfect. even at walking speed but it still will not fire with the starter when cold, once running for any length of time it fires right up
Old 11-04-2018, 08:53 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by joem
Friend picked up a 03 3500 4x4 6mt with 290k on it, ran perfect, mechanically perfect, no check engine lights and no blowby- it had 2 problems 1. it smokes like a tire fire black smoke even at steady throttle and has low power
I would look at your turbo to see if it still spins freely and has no play. Second, I would check all the rubber boots from the turbo to the intercooler and intercooler to the intake for cracks. Check closely as they can hide pretty good at times.

Originally Posted by joem
2. long crank times when cold..... then today, now no start unless its pulled down the road, then it fires right up and runs flawlessly even restarts with the key perfect. ***? We put in a new crank sensor, but that did not help. When pull started it fired at walking speed in 2nd gear, a very low rpm so im really stumped at why it fires like that but not with the key. Tried new battery's, no go. I figured the rail is leaking down, so cranked until the battery died and it never fired. No codes & no clues. About ready to suggest P pumping the thing, anyone on here experience anything of the sort?
This kinda sounds similar to the folks with the complaint their truck won't start unless it was plugged in overnight. IIRC, most if not all of them pointed to bad injectors. I would look at having them tested and either rebuilt or put new ones in. I had mine tested and rebuilt years ago by F1. No complaints.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I bet you’ve got a bad (or several bad) injectors. If there is excessive return flow from the injectors, the CP3 wont spin fast enough while cranking to achieve rail pressure required to fire the injectors. Typically starts with long crank times especially when cold (in cold climates) eventually going to no start. In that case jumping, or bump starting can spin the engine slightly faster, which will let it start.

Anyway if it were mine I’d check injector return flow, and the condition of the turbo.