Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   2 micron filter setup for auto's..... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/2-micron-filter-setup-autos-162147/)

ataboy9026 07-29-2007 07:48 AM

2 micron filter setup for auto's.....

I was looking for a 2 micron filter to install and I found only the Glacier kit, but it will only work on manual trans trucks or trucks without APPS on the engine. So I bought a fleetguard filter head and a CAT 2 micron filter and made my own bracket to mount it. It sits nicely just below the APPS and can be reached from the bottom to change. It isn't very hard to make the bracket but if anyone wants a kit I will make them up one. I am not sure how to post pictures here but PM me and I'll send you an e-mail with pictures.

B.Law 07-29-2007 10:50 AM

Another good location is the body mount bracket infront of the inner fender on the drivers side. Easily accessed aswell, I used Perma Cool head, and the long Cat 2 micron.

It looks like it in the pic, but the filter does not hang below the front bumper.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...m/IMG_0100.JPG

JP-4.5 07-29-2007 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ataboy9026 (Post 1621521)
I was looking for a 2 micron filter to install and I found only the Glacier kit, but it will only work on manual trans trucks or trucks without APPS on the engine.

GDP has two kits for the 2 Micron filters. One is for trucks with APPS not on engine and the other is for trucks with APPS on engine. I purchased the 392 pump and the 2 Micron filter and installed them on my 2004.5 truck that has the APPS on the engine. You just mount the filter where you choose. Sounds no different than what you did buying seperate parts. I mounted mine off the side of the frame below the drivers door as far forward as possible. It has worked out very well for me.

Thanks, Jeff

Boris-MC1 07-29-2007 12:00 PM

B. Law

I noticed you have an Oil Guard Bypass filter in your sig.

Where did you mount it?

TexasCTD 07-29-2007 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by JP-4.5 (Post 1621681)
GDP has two kits for the 2 Micron filters. One is for trucks with APPS not on engine and the other is for trucks with APPS on engine. I purchased the 392 pump and the 2 Micron filter and installed them on my 2004.5 truck that has the APPS on the engine. You just mount the filter where you choose. Sounds no different than what you did buying seperate parts. I mounted mine off the side of the frame below the drivers door as far forward as possible. It has worked out very well for me.

Thanks, Jeff

What he said^^^^^^^. Here is the remote mount 2 micron kit from GDP for the engine mounted apps.....http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/pr..._id=MK20306-RM

I mounted mine under the driver side door too.

53 willys 07-29-2007 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by B.Law (Post 1621678)
Another good location is the body mount bracket infront of the inner fender on the drivers side. Easily accessed aswell, I used Perma Cool head, and the long Cat 2 micron.

It looks like it in the pic, but the filter does not hang below the front bumper.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...m/IMG_0100.JPG

I like this spot:cool: nice job...

I also like where "triton" put his....
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...um/walbro2.jpg

B.Law 07-29-2007 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Boris-MC1 (Post 1621768)
B. Law

I noticed you have an Oil Guard Bypass filter in your sig.

Where did you mount it?

Same location as the fuel, but other side.

ataboy9026 07-29-2007 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Those look good. But I wanted mine near the engine and away from any objects that may be thrown from tire tread or what-not. I have pictures now and can e-mail them to whoever wants them but I am not sure how to post pictures here. If anyone wants to post them for me just give me your e-mail in a pm.

ataboy9026 07-29-2007 06:52 PM

Looks like I figured out how to post pictures. And the kit from Glacier looks very nice but this one can be had for $100 cheaper than that.

ataboy9026 07-29-2007 06:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more pictures. One is from the bottom looking up at filter - you can see the steering box.

ataboy9026 07-29-2007 07:03 PM

I do notice it looks like a tight fit to get to the filter in the picture but it is pretty open around it. No problems with a filter wrench and the filter does not have to be tilted hardly at all to drop down between the track bar and fan shroud.

dzlfarmboy 07-29-2007 07:16 PM

I like this one alot, http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

ataboy9026 07-29-2007 07:24 PM

DZLfarmboy, that is what Brain Law has with the CAT filter. And by the way Brian thanks again for the injectors!

53 willys 07-29-2007 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy (Post 1622475)

Man that's Cheap!!!! I may just have to make my own 2Micron set-up[guitar]
thanks for the link:cool:

whats the Cat 2micron filters part number????**edit** i JUST NOTICED IT POSTED IN THE PIC ABOVE[duhhh][laugh] part# 1R-0750 right?

Thanks

dzlfarmboy 07-30-2007 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by 53 willys (Post 1622861)
Man that's Cheap!!!! I may just have to make my own 2Micron set-up[guitar]
thanks for the link:cool:

whats the Cat 2micron filters part number????**edit** i JUST NOTICED IT POSTED IN THE PIC ABOVE[duhhh][laugh] part# 1R-0750 right?

Thanks

Yeah it's a pretty good deal, the perma cool filter is a 2 micron aswell not sure which one of the two is a better filter

jrussell 07-30-2007 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy (Post 1623100)
Yeah it's a pretty good deal, the perma cool filter is a 2 micron aswell not sure which one of the two is a better filter

The one from Summit looks tiny compared to the Cat and Fleetguard. I wouldn't think it has enough volume for our application. It's also a water/fuel separator, so I'm assuming the 2mic filtration part is even smaller than the canister size.

B.Law 07-30-2007 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ataboy9026 (Post 1622424)
Those look good. But I wanted mine near the engine and away from any objects that may be thrown from tire tread or what-not. I have pictures now and can e-mail them to whoever wants them but I am not sure how to post pictures here. If anyone wants to post them for me just give me your e-mail in a pm.

Ataboy's location is deffinetly best if you live in a colder climate, it seems like being tucked up farther in the engine bay would help keep the filter a little warmer. My fuel gelled in the Cat filter this past winter whilst in Fort Wayne durning that two week cold snap. Easily cured with a torch, but still a minor pain. My guess it happened because of the lack of shielding, and no heat in that area. This was with PS, I was surprised...

jrussell 07-30-2007 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ataboy9026 (Post 1622424)

You've got a really good point there. A blowout or kicking up a piece of something could seriously ruin your day.

It looks like he doesn't have the wheel well liner installed there in that pic. Maybe with that on it's a little more protected from the tire?

dzlfarmboy 07-30-2007 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell (Post 1623371)
The one from Summit looks tiny compared to the Cat and Fleetguard. I wouldn't think it has enough volume for our application. It's also a water/fuel separator, so I'm assuming the 2mic filtration part is even smaller than the canister size.

Im sure it flows enough, those filters are designed for 15liter engines not 5.9

dzlfarmboy 07-30-2007 01:07 PM

You could always just buy the head housing and run what ever filter you want.....http://store.summitracing.com/partde...?part=PRM-1791

jrussell 07-30-2007 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy (Post 1623637)
Im sure it flows enough, those filters are designed for 15liter engines not 5.9

Where do you see that it's designed for 15L engines? AFAIK Perma-cool is known for making aftermarket electric fans and coolers, not really industrial stuff. The rating shows it definitely does flow enough, but how much diesel fuel will it really filter before becoming clogged?

When it comes to filters, size is going to make a difference. There's going to be a physical limitation on how much material can pass through a filter before it becomes restrictive/clogged. If you look at all the other filters, they are all larger than that one. The FASS systems also use a separate filter and water separator. I'm sure there's a reason the others are like this.

dzlfarmboy 07-30-2007 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell (Post 1623656)
Where do you see that it's designed for 15L engines? AFAIK Perma-cool is known for making aftermarket electric fans and coolers, not really industrial stuff. The rating shows it definitely does flow enough, but how much diesel fuel will it really filter before becoming clogged?

When it comes to filters, size is going to make a difference. There's going to be a physical limitation on how much material can pass through a filter before it becomes restrictive/clogged. If you look at all the other filters, they are all larger than that one. The FASS systems also use a separate filter and water separator. I'm sure there's a reason the others are like this.

I said those CAT filters are disigned for 15L engines, they might be a lil over kill for a 5.9

53 willys 07-30-2007 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy (Post 1623643)
You could always just buy the head housing and run what ever filter you want.....http://store.summitracing.com/partde...?part=PRM-1791

perfect!! thanks:cool:

B.Law 07-30-2007 01:54 PM

I've never had my CAT clog, I usually just change it out every 35 - 40k miles. Idling the pressure is the same at the OEM filter head (Genos cap) and the CP3 inlet, I moniter both at the same time in cab. While driving there is usually no more than a 1psi max differential btween the two.

jrussell 07-30-2007 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy (Post 1623679)
I said those CAT filters are disigned for 15L engines, they might be a lil over kill for a 5.9

Ah, you didn't mention the Cat part and then referrenced my quote which was saying the Perma-Cool looks to small.

I don't think anyone can argue that the Cat or Fleetguard don't flow enough. [guitar]

whitebuffalo 08-02-2007 01:24 PM

will putting in an additional 2 mic filter (like the cat one) be ok if i'm running the factory lift pump? or will there be too much restriction for it?

jrussell 08-02-2007 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by whitebuffalo (Post 1629146)
will putting in an additional 2 mic filter (like the cat one) be ok if i'm running the factory lift pump? or will there be too much restriction for it?

I think you would be fine with stock fueling. If you're using a chip/programmer then it might become a problem.

JP-4.5 08-02-2007 03:36 PM

I would not do it unless you are monitoring fuel pressure. With my stock setup the fuel pressure was only 6-8 lbs. You do not want to be starving the CP3 of fuel. If you watch pressure and it looks OK then go for it. I would be prepared to add a aftermarket fuel pump if the pressure drops to much. You do not want to harm the expensive CP3. The fuel pump will look real cheap compared to replacing the CP3 if it fails.

JMTC

ataboy9026 08-02-2007 05:00 PM

If you look close at my pic I drilled and tapped a boss in the filter head for 1/8" pipe fitting to mount a guage until I get a guage setup for the inside of the cab. This tapped hole is on the outlet side of the filter element and I have 8psi at idle with a stock lift pump. I don't think the filter restricts very much if at all. Mind you it has a 1" filter thread and you have 5/16" fuel line there, you think about it.

JP-4.5 08-02-2007 07:25 PM

It won't be the clean filter that will hurt the pressure. It wil be a week or 2 after running when the filter starts to collect some crud and make the pump work a little harder. All I am saying is it will be important to watch the pressure so you will know when the filter is getting dirty. I have the GDP-392 pump in front of mine and when the filter gets dirty I can tell by the pressure drop. You do not want to run the CP3 without fuel or it will get expensive.

DECEPTiON21 08-04-2007 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by 53 willys (Post 1623726)
perfect!! thanks:cool:

Just so you know, I expect a full write up with pics, part numbers, and links. Just kidding....... but seriously, need the write up...

Fisherguy 02-13-2008 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by ataboy9026 (Post 1621521)
I was looking for a 2 micron filter to install and I found only the Glacier kit, but it will only work on manual trans trucks or trucks without APPS on the engine. So I bought a fleetguard filter head and a CAT 2 micron filter and made my own bracket to mount it. It sits nicely just below the APPS and can be reached from the bottom to change. It isn't very hard to make the bracket but if anyone wants a kit I will make them up one. I am not sure how to post pictures here but PM me and I'll send you an e-mail with pictures.

Do you have a pic of the bracket you made? What does it bolt to exactly?