3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2 cycle oil in fuel tank.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCW3 is designation for the type of oil, like 15W-40 motor oil or GL-5 gear oil.
Walmart would be fine, you don't need and may not want the specialty motorcyle oils, and you can be sure the motorcycle shop will be more expensive.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:58 PM

So why not synthetic? Are there properties to it that yield unfavorable results?

The only reason i ask is because i usually buy 4+ gallons of Amsoil Interceptor at the begining of each snowmobile season, so I usually have that with me most of the time.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:17 PM

is the walmart brand 2-stroke oil TCW3? I bought some Wal-Mart Super Tech Universal 2 Cycle Oil( i havent used it yet, been waiting for my next full fill up) and Im wondering if its the right stuff. I dont see a TCW3 label anywhere on the bottle. If its not TCW3, will it work anyhow?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Skinner
Thanks for sharing your info Mopar1973man. Lots of work went into that.

I've got nearly a full year of research in the 2 cycle oil...

So you just use 2 cycle oil as a fuel additive? No Howes, Lucas, ect? What kind of oil do you use?

No mixing of additives... No other products just 2 cycle oil.

So with your 128:1 ratio you came up with, how much oil do you usually put in at every fill up?

If I fill up with 25 gallons of fuel I put 25 Ozs of oil. If I fill up with 10 gallons of fuel I put 10 ozs of oil. Simple. I keep the 128:1 ratio as much as possible... Some times I get lazy but it still 100:1 to 130:1 ratio normally.

Thanks again for sharing your re-search.

Scott aka Skinner.
I got a lot of info...
Old 07-15-2007, 04:51 PM

Is it just me or is 2 cycle oil becoming a little scarce? Wally world doesn't seem to carry a large stock of it anymore and neither do the parts stores. If it is I'm going to start buying it in bulk just to keep it around.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:30 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

t-boe: Funny you should mention it. Seems like most of the bikers, chainsaw and outboard people are going to full synthetic. Was at WallMart in Anchorage and they didnt have any regular in stock.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:24 AM

I get it by the gal. at Wally World for $8.49. Mix it 6oz. Howes Meaner Kleaner to 12oz. 2 stroke every tank (25-30 gal).
Old 07-16-2007, 06:10 AM

I've been running 2 stroke oil for about 2 1/2 months now. To be honest I have not been able to tell a difference in MPG or engine smoothness, if anything my mileage has gone down slightly based on hand calcs. I just use it to add a little bit of lubricity to the fuel system. I've also used PS and MMO for a while prior to going to 2 stroke, also with no noticable effects.

IMO, a lot of the additives people use are like placebos. People will swear up and down that it has worked wonders on their truck, but it's mostly in their head. Your mind will help create evidence to make you feel better. I had a guy last week tell me that the tornado added 4 extra mpg to his 454.

I'm not saying that some peoples trucks are not benefitting from some of the additives, what I am saying is that I usually try just about every hot new trend that pops up on these forums and I've yet to find one that works as well as most others claim it does.

FWIW, my truck has been effected by the white smoke at startup for most all of it's life. I've tried every additive there is to solve the problem with no luck. Since installing the Fass, it has been much better. Once again, I have not experienced the benefits that are claimed by Fass, but it has helped that issue.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by coolslice

IMO, a lot of the additives people use are like placebos. People will swear up and down that it has worked wonders on their truck, but it's mostly in their head. Your mind will help create evidence to make you feel better. I had a guy last week tell me that the tornado added 4 extra mpg to his 454.

Yea thats funny....sad but sometimes TRUE!!
I like the HI cetain ones...ever since i found out the new trucks from ford where sent with 50 cetain in them i knew they where on to someting...
think about it you go to test drive it...Not a thing in it but you.and a 1/4 tank of hot fuel...then they fill it up .you take it home all gleamie eyed . put on/ in all your stuff...then hey the power where the power go...they fooled ya!
Old 07-16-2007, 02:10 PM

I ace dirt bikes and have chainsaws...whats this about 2 smoke oil inthe fuel???
I use cheepy for the saws and sickaleen pro 2 in the bikes.(3)

this 1oz per gallon will it hurt anything??
Old 07-17-2007, 05:35 AM

Funny you mention the tornado kits, I used to work at pepboys(worst job ever) and people would swear up and down about them. I drove a jeep before my cummins and was filling it up one day, and some guy randomly told me to get a tornado and said his was getting 2mpg better. Wonder if they just want you to fall into the trap also.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:16 AM

I tried the two-stroke oil for about 4 to 5 tanks of fuel. I did notice it ran smoother. But I also went through two fuel filters in about 5000 miles.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by msatow
I tried the two-stroke oil for about 4 to 5 tanks of fuel. I did notice it ran smoother. But I also went through two fuel filters in about 5000 miles.
WOW how did you know they where cloged?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:42 PM

At least I post my proof that it has worked for me. I've kept records of every thing I've done to my truck since 20K miles. If a add-on product improves the performance or MPG I made note of it.

But at least for me the 2 cycle oil has improved my performance and my MPG enough to make it worth it!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:55 AM

I have quicksilver premium outboard 2 cycle for my jet ski. It is tc-w3 and ashless so is this safe to use also?

Quick Reply: 2 cycle oil in fuel tank.