3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

06 owners, check this out, mine stranded me

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cody459
I've replaced #4 3 times so far, and there $91.00 from dealership. Last time bought from cummins @$25.00 so I went ahead and bought two for that cheap. Was told the problems was two things the isolator and the soft pewter used to make the line.
Pewter? HA!!

That line is made of a VERY high grade material that only two companies on the planet produce. It undergoes an additional process called autofrettage to increase the fatigue margin. This process is basically like hydraulically "shotpeening" the ID of the lines.

What kills these lines is vibration. Those "isolators" are crucial. If you are missing one, the line vibrates enough to where it will fatigue the line and it will fail from bending fatigue.

As the a development engineer responsible for the HP fuel lines on the forthcoming common rail ISXs, I can tell you that VERY great pains are being taken to ensure that the HP fuel lines are very robust.

How robust? Well, let's just say that I had an engine in a test cell rub halfway through the wall thickness of the pump-to-rail and it still didn't fail!

Needless to say that this issue HP fuel line fragility will no tbe repeated..
Old 07-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN
...autofrettage ...
Old 07-30-2009, 11:01 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by HOHN
Pewter? HA!!

That line is made of a VERY high grade material that only two companies on the planet produce. It undergoes an additional process called autofrettage to increase the fatigue margin. This process is basically like hydraulically "shotpeening" the ID of the lines.

What kills these lines is vibration. Those "isolators" are crucial. If you are missing one, the line vibrates enough to where it will fatigue the line and it will fail from bending fatigue.

As the a development engineer responsible for the HP fuel lines on the forthcoming common rail ISXs, I can tell you that VERY great pains are being taken to ensure that the HP fuel lines are very robust.

How robust? Well, let's just say that I had an engine in a test cell rub halfway through the wall thickness of the pump-to-rail and it still didn't fail!

Needless to say that this issue HP fuel line fragility will no tbe repeated..
Hey I need a set of them New style Auto Frettaged ones LOLOL!!!!!

All kidding aside what is the torque spec for the fastener that does the clamping on the injector line Isolators???? are they using a thread locker to insure the fasteners dont back off??????
Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RiverRat2
Hey I need a set of them New style Auto Frettaged ones LOLOL!!!!!

All kidding aside what is the torque spec for the fastener that does the clamping on the injector line Isolators???? are they using a thread locker to insure the fasteners dont back off??????
Good questions. Can the fasteners be over tightened and will it case a problem?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:57 AM

If anyone is looking for the new style tube cummins is starting to produce but is on national back order but this one is for sale on craigslist

http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/1296979156.html
Old 07-30-2009, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by waynebyrom
If anyone is looking for the new style tube cummins is starting to produce but is on national back order but this one is for sale on craigslist

http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/1296979156.html
Thanks,,,,
Old 07-31-2009, 12:28 PM

Lolol!!!!

Turned out to be a Hoax!!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 03:01 PM

I dont think so. The cummins dealership knew all about this line and told me some stories. And it is a major cummins shop that sells and works on many diesels.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm getting a little worried. The wife and I are gonna take a trip to MN from TX soon, and while I checked out my # 4 line, it is tight and looks to be ok, I'm a little worried. Called all around to see if anyone had the # 4 line to take along as a spare, but no luck. Really want to take the truck on the road trip, but what do you ya'all think? Should we just take the wife's car instead(see sig. for her ride)? Hate to have the truck break down on the trip, and then wait a month on a $30.00 part. While we have a very nice car, I don't really like the idea of taking it on a long road trip. I'm more of a truck guy than a car guy.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:58 PM

If its all tight then your probably ok to go.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 PM

Cool

I dont think so. The cummins dealership knew all about this line and told me some stories. And it is a major cummins shop that sells and works on many diesels.
No No Not the fact that the lines Crack!!!!!!!!!! Thats no Hoax,,,,

The Hoax was the Craigslist Ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard,,,,,,
Old 08-01-2009, 08:07 AM

Looks like its a real ad to me on craigslist.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:03 PM

I Googled to find a Cummins Store in Montana, or an offical Cummins website w/ store locator.........couldn't find either. Anybody have a web address?
Old 08-01-2009, 02:05 PM

Looks like its a real ad to me on craigslist.
Yeah,,,, Its a real add alright,,,,,,,,,,, He just really cant make up his mind if he really wants to sell it!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2009, 05:12 PM

Found a store in an older post, http://northwest.cummins.com. They service Washington, Oregon, Alaska, and my state of Montana.

Quick Reply: 06 owners, check this out, mine stranded me