3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

06 owners, check this out, mine stranded me

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want a quick fix to get you home take one of the bad lines cut off the good end and braze it shut and keep it in your tool box then us it to cap the rail when needed or buy a rail cap. You will be running on 5 cylinders but you can still drive home
Old 07-16-2009, 04:16 PM

In a gasser even after you shut the engine off you still have to relieve the pressure so I take it that is not the issue with diesels? Once you cut off the engine there is no pressure at all in the lines?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:29 PM

Just ran through this thread quickly ,can someone fill me in ,is this still a problem with # 4 fuel line or any of them ,even if the isolator does not break and fall off?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:38 PM

I read all of this also so I went to the cummins store here in San Antonio and they said the factory is all out of the line and wont get it until around the 24th in the store cause thats when the factory will have them ready. The cummins store new all about this and when I showed them the stock number they new right away and I showed them the picture to verify it. They also have like 20 of them on back order that customers are waiting for. Funny, yesterday I got a call from some surveyers asking me how I liked my cummins and I gave all good reviews for reliability but then read all the issues with number 4 and didnt get to bring this issue up with them. But, the factory already knows all about it anyway.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You sure that was a Cummings store and not a Cummins store? Not trying to be rude, I thought all of our trucks came with the Cummins emblem.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 PM

Guess my hunt and peck method of typing doesnt do so well. When ya get old its hard to spell anything right but retirement is sweet.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KWKING
Just ran through this thread quickly ,can someone fill me in ,is this still a problem with # 4 fuel line or any of them ,even if the isolator does not break and fall off?
Post #39 claims his failed with the Insulator in place!!!! another poster said his clamp on the insulator was loose,,, after I checked mine (it was snug) I fired it up and checked the vibration on all the lines @ the clamping area they were pretty smooth at the common rail manifold and the turns just before they turn to make up to the rear of the injector nozzles you can feel em purty good,,,,,

I was pretty astounded at the pounding those lines take as the injectors fire,,, what was most amazing on the short run tubes/lines 3&4 you could barely feel it but on 125&6 you can feel every hit,,,,, with no problem!!!!

Originally Posted by nelrod

CD New Mex - the isolator came with my #4 line. I assume it comes with all. I hope so. Each one has it's own part number, can't just order a whole set. I do not have the part #'s, but will be happy to put on here when they arrive. PM me and remind me if you don't see it within 3 weeks or so. As far as changing them out before they fail? Mine failed at 35K miles, I will just wait till they fail, or change the ones that have not failed @ 100K miles maybe. Not gonna be changing those things out every 35K.
Nelrod BTW,,,, My truck has 69K miles on it and all the lines look Identical and dont appear to have any wrench witness marks on them,, so I am assuming they are OEM from the build,,,,

Do You know where Cowpens/Chesney and Gaffney Are????? LOLOLOL!!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 04:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i noticed the new 4988808 is made of different material and has a metal tag on it. the oem the nut is different metal than the line and gives a two tone look the cummins one is same and a little whiter
Old 07-17-2009, 06:32 AM

Anyone ? Procedure for the repair? RE: Pressure danger!, Torque specs, etc...
Old 07-17-2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by shep1
Anyone ? Procedure for the repair? RE: Pressure danger!, Torque specs, etc...
First there is no pressure stored once the ignition is off.All pressure is relieved through the fuel return out the back of the head.For removal use a 19mm wrench on the line nuts,a 10mm on the line clamps.Torque on the line nuts is 17ftlbs.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:53 PM

Checked mine, #4 was kinda loose and #5 was way loose.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: I have an '06 BTW.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by homewrecker
First there is no pressure stored once the ignition is off.All pressure is relieved through the fuel return out the back of the head.For removal use a 19mm wrench on the line nuts,a 10mm on the line clamps.Torque on the line nuts is 17ftlbs.
O.K. Just wondered because mine leaked fuel for about 15 to 20 min. after I shut it off and waited for tow.

There are warnings about the high pressure causing injury or death.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:31 PM

Do You know where Cowpens/Chesney and Gaffney Are????? LOLOLOL!!!![/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, just down the road, some good peaches down there!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by waynebyrom
I read all of this also so I went to the cummins store here in San Antonio and they said the factory is all out of the line and wont get it until around the 24th in the store cause thats when the factory will have them ready. The cummins store new all about this and when I showed them the stock number they new right away and I showed them the picture to verify it. They also have like 20 of them on back order that customers are waiting for. Funny, yesterday I got a call from some surveyers asking me how I liked my cummins and I gave all good reviews for reliability but then read all the issues with number 4 and didnt get to bring this issue up with them. But, the factory already knows all about it anyway.
I have a friend with an 06 with the #4 cracked injector line and she can not locate one in stock anywhere. She's being told the end of August at the earliest.

Anyone know of one anywhere??

HELP
Old 07-29-2009, 08:01 PM

Mine failed @ about 170k, what a mess!!

Quick Reply: 06 owners, check this out, mine stranded me