3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

06 High EGT's

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 High EGT's

Help needed!!

Busy working on the 06 but now fighting high EGT's. I just replaced the turbo with a Borg Warner with the following specs: Front Wheel: induser-66mm, exduser-96mm, tall-51 ; Turbine Wheel: exd-68mm, spool-76mm. So increased in size a bit. I replaced the stock injector nozzles with a set of 50hp. I also replaced all intercooler boots. The truck already has 5" exhaust and afe filter and tube. The truck also has the edge attitude programmer that has been on the truck for over 3 years. Due to the high EGT's I installed a separate manual EGT gauge to compare to the edge monitor. I also install a new probe for the edge unit.

Results:
Edge program setting = 0 (Stock)
At idle and in gear, Edge = about 440 degrees
At idle and in gear, manual gauge = about 350 degrees
Accelerate hard thru the gears, Edge will spike to 1750
Accelerate hard thru the gears, manual will hit 1500
Boost is hitting 33-36psi no issues

Because the Edge just does not seem to be correct I have removed the complete unit from the truck, all connectors, monitor, everything. Its all sitting in a box. I put all connections back together with factory. I have spoke with Edge and they told me to send the unit back to them for analysis.

New Results without Edge:
At idle not in gear, manual gauge = about 220
At idle and in gear, manual gauge = still about 350
Accelerate hard thru the gears, manual gauge will still hit 1500 (I came out of the throttle not to exceed any more)
Just driving normal the EGT's will get up to about 1200 during acceleration. Truck is not towing, just driving empty. I am getting a good stream of black smoke while accelerating hard. Other than the EGT's the truck is running great. Coolant Temps are good. Trans Temps are good.

Questions:
Even after the edge has been removed is there still a program in the truck?
Should I get the computer re-flashed?
With a stock tune, the turbo combo and the 50hp nozzles should I see these kind of EGTs with no load behind the truck?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.