3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Clutch button broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Clutch button broke

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4wd and it won''t start in the mornings. I depress the clutch and turn the key on and all the lights come on but the motor doesn''t start. I don''t hear anything happening, starter, etc. I took it to Dodge dealer and they did a diagnostic and said it was this main box (computer) that cost $1000 and installed it yesterday. It didn''t fix it. This morning it wouldn''t start. But I noticed that if I depress the clutch all the way down and release it slightly while turning the key, I can get it started. After looking under the clutch, I noticed there is a rod or button that is broken. I am assuming that this is the reason it won't start occasionally. So I am out $1000 and want some advice from anyone who knows if this could be my problem or could it be something else? Also, should the Dealership who told me the problem was the computer box refund my expense for the box? Thanks!

P.S. Also have had A/C stop working last year and several Dodge dealers have worked on it and it still didn't work. Out that money! Sick of dealers!!! Anyone else having many problems with their Dodge and also is there any recourse for us?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:12 PM

I'm not very well versed in the new models, but I have never seen a late model manual transmission vehicle that did not have a clutch interlock switch.... a switch that prevents the starter from functioning unless the clutch is depressed. Odds are the "rod that is broken" is the interlock switch.
If the clutch being depressed has any effect on the engine starting or not starting there must be an interlock switch so the PCM knows when the clutch is depressed (It's usually tied into the cruise control circuits as well).

If you're out that money for the attempted repairs, am I correct to assume you are out of warranty? I would expect a dealer to want to know their repair did not fix the problem and want to continue to fix it... especially if they are a 5 star.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the DTR!!

Why isn't it under warranty?
Did you do something to make them void it?
I would get my money back from the Dealership and then go find another competent shop that knows how to fix a truck without just throwing parts at it and guessing with your money.
Why isn't it under warranty for all the work you've had done, AC no start?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 PM

I started have problems right after warranty ran out. A/C stopped working last August. They told me I need a compressor pulley. A dealer closer to me ordered it and after they took the old part off, they realized that that part wasn't the right part. Charged me for braking it down and the restocking fee. Did another diagnostic and told me I needed a new ac compressor. Bought that and got a mechanic I know to install it and still wouldn't work right.

Also, later on I noticed a loud sound in the blower compartment and found that a 5" X 8" flap door had broke off.

Last year, the clutch would not depress down. I've had 3 or 4 diagnostics done and everyone has a different problem and solution. I have no faith in Dodge, its employees or its diagnostics and I am totally frustrated.

I take good care of my vehicle and should not be having these kind of problems. I think that I got a lemon. Don't know what to do about it tho.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:24 AM

depends on your state law, but I think federal law requires 3 attempts to fix the same problem and if they can't they have to buy the vehicle back.

You need to find a 5 star dealer near you. (the 5 star cert makes a huge difference in the quality of dealer).
I suspect it's just the interlock switch, which could be on the clutch pedal or on the transmission. If you can find the switch on the pedal, you can temporarily bypass it.

If the truck won''t start with the switch unplugged, jumper the wires. I've encountered that a few times, and usually never replace the bad switch, just leaving it bypassed.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:27 AM

well if messing around with the clutch starts the vehicle than i would start there and replace that piece. im sure it costs a lot less than the computer did. replace it yourself and if it fixes the problem go back and get a refund for mis diagnosis. i woudln't have even paid them a dime if the repair they did didn't fix the problem.

go back and raise some <edit>.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:57 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll be doing my clutch soon and I am replacing the hydraulic assembly. It has the switch on it and works perfectly. You are welcome to it if you want. It will be next weekend before I do the swap. Let me know.

Chris
Old 08-09-2014, 01:49 PM

Clutch inter lock switch

2001 ram 3500 will not start bought a after market switch did not work went to dodge that did not fix it,work when you bypass switch with jumper going to change clutch and slave next week.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:12 PM

Re: Did not solve problem,any answer. Still no start.