Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   05 CTD Rough Idle (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/05-ctd-rough-idle-123354/)

DarkPaladin 11-09-2006 04:53 PM

05 CTD Rough Idle

I occasionally get a rough idle and the engine doesn't feel near as smooth. It's very random and only lasts for a drive or two even. I shut it off and sometimes it will stay for another drive. Most of the time it's gone.

Really weird. The dealer said they can;t do anything unless they see it acting up. So far no codes no CEL nothing.... What's the deal? Anyone have similar issues?

I run powerservice/mmo every other tank sometimes every tank, sometimes every 3rd tank.) The mechanic there said that's ok and sees nothing wrong with that stuff. I tried a couple other products also. Stanadyne and one other. But no changes really.

Just odd..

4x4not 11-12-2006 06:27 PM

I know exacty what you are talking about. Sometimes the engine just seems to run a lot smoother, and sometimes it shakes more than I think it should.

RyeThomas 11-13-2006 07:37 AM

Mine does the same thing, it did it before I started mod's and it does it to this day. I must say it really gets old quick, and I have no clue when its going to start, or stop idleing like sh*t.

mopargw 11-15-2006 11:05 PM

I have had the same problem. Kind of a lite missfire. Comes and goes with no rithym to it. Have'nt been able to pinpoint it yet. Could be carbon build up on an injector, fuel, temp, lifter or a valve. It runs fine off idle with no added smoke so I don't think its in the valvetrain.

CUM4X4MINS 11-16-2006 04:29 AM

Mine does the same. But doesn't stay around long enough for me to worry about it:cool:

Michael

redspider 11-16-2006 05:12 AM

sounds like carbon'd up injectors.

change the fuel filter, fill the filter canister with seafoam, prime the system run the truck for 5 seconds, let it sit overnight. then with 1/4 tank of fuel add 1 bottle of howes meaner cleaner and either pull something heavy or drive it like its stolen.

larryt 11-16-2006 11:42 PM

A good cleaner

I agree with Redspider.

Even just a can of SeaFoam in a half tank of fuel may
be enough to do the trick.

I don't tow or work my truck like it should be worked
so I like to use some SeaFoam every few months just
for preventive maintenance.

Only got 31,000 mi on mine but so far no problems
with running rough.

CUM4X4MINS 11-17-2006 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by redspider (Post 1211575)
sounds like carbon'd up injectors.

change the fuel filter, fill the filter canister with seafoam, prime the system run the truck for 5 seconds, let it sit overnight. then with 1/4 tank of fuel add 1 bottle of howes meaner cleaner and either pull something heavy or drive it like its stolen.

I drive mine like I stole it all the time. So I don't really see that as an issue with mine but like I said it doesn't happen often enough for me to worry about it.

Michael