3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

03 Exhaust brake installed, finally

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Exhaust brake installed, finally

Well after waiting since October I finally have an exhaust brake on my truck. The dealership honored the $299 price I paid when I bought the truck, that price also included the installation.<br> As it was explained to me if you buy it with the truck it is an option and they install it, buy it after the truck sale and it is up to you to pay for the install.<br> It is not that loud when turned on at idle or slowing while in gear. <br> Randy
Old 01-10-2003, 03:25 PM

Re:03 Exhaust brake installed, finally

I got to play with it some today. The operation is darn slick.<br> Having a computer controled truck is a breeze to operate. I guess you could leave it on full time and it wouldn't matter. I really had a lot of misconceptions of how the brake operated, I have never owned one.<br> I hope the aftermarket brakes work off of the computer system in the truck. If they do not I can't see how it would be a compareable system .<br> Randy
Old 01-10-2003, 04:23 PM

I read on the Cummins site that they claim the exhaust brake would save on brake wear something like one third. How do you like it? You think it worth the money?<br><br>
Old 01-10-2003, 08:01 PM

I have not got to pull my trailer with it yet but I bet it will make a huge difference in how much I use the brakes. <br> I like it a lot. I am really impressed how it works with all of the systems on the truck, cruise, brakes, clutch so on. The delay in it coming on is great you can leave the exhaust brake on and shift gears while accelerating and not have to worry about having it come on.<br> I guess it is worth the money at the price I paid it is a no brainer. If I was staring down at the new list price plus installation I would probably be wondering that also.<br> If you are going to keep your truck a while and pull a heavy trailer I think it is worth it without a doubt. I guess Dodge made it mandatory if you pull a trailer over 10,000 lbs which I do.<br> I also think it would be worth it if you lived in the mountains regardless of how you used your truck.<br>FWIW Randy
Old 01-10-2003, 11:00 PM

I'm scheduled to have mine installed on Tuesday - It's been a long wait. Regarding have a switch to switch it off an on, you'll find a lot of towns that have signs up saying no engine brakes. You will definately save money on brake wear, and another nice thing is that it will help to keep a more constant engine exhaust temperature as well as helping in warm up time. ;D ;D ;D
Old 01-11-2003, 08:57 AM

I don't think anyone would be bothered by the noise. You can barely hear it. Inside the truck it is barely audible when on just a change in the exhaust tone. I think a Gen 2 or 1 Dodge is much louder than a Gen 3 Dodge with the exhaust brake on. <br> I have heard 18 wheelers with the loud exhaust brake noise the 03 Dodge is nothing like that.<br> Randy
Old 01-11-2003, 12:41 PM

The signs that say no engine brakes are referring to &quot;real&quot; jake brakes which effectively turn the engine into a big air compressor. These brakes open the exhaust valve at the top of the compression stroke and therefore you get the popping noise. Usually the signs say &quot;no unmuffled engine brakes&quot; - it is the straight piped or lightly muffled trucks that are really loud - with a good muffler they arent too bad. Bottom line - you should have no worries with the ram plug off the exhaust style of brake. <br><br>Mathew
Old 01-12-2003, 10:34 AM

Don't know where you're from Matthew, but out this way the signs say no engine brake or no exhaust brake, nothing about muffled or otherwise. Not that I don't trust the local sherrif's departments, but I don't. ;D
Old 01-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Bluedresser link=board=20;threadid=9447;start=0#91195 date=1042389291]<br>Don't know where you're from Matthew, but out this way the signs say no engine brake or no exhaust brake, nothing about muffled or otherwise. Not that I don't trust the local sherrif's departments, but I don't. ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Those signs are for Big Rig Diesels only.<br>The exhaust brakes on our &quot;little&quot; trucks don't make anything near the kind of noise the true &quot;Jacobs Engine Brake&quot; on the big rigs do.<br>There is a difference between an Engine brake and an Exhaust brake.<br><br>phox
Old 01-14-2003, 09:56 PM

Does anyone know how much it would be to bring dodge my truck and have them put it on? What is the list price on the brake? How much for the install? (I would most enjoy the warm-up feature.)<br><br>I love the HO, she is now at or above 20mpg for every tank. 3500 dually. I run 70 mph 35 miles one way to work every day, 3600 total miles and just happy as a robin pulling a worm.<br><br>Thanks
Old 01-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Finally have my &quot;Jake&quot; brake installed. (Sorry you purists who don't want us to call it a Jake brake - - it is made by Jacobs and the short of that is Jake. 8)) <br><br>I ditto all said by Randy. Very quiet, smooth, and you can really feel it when you get the RPMs up a bit and drop it on. <br><br>For those who are all shook up by the signs that say &quot;no exhaust brakes in this area&quot;, this thing with the brake on is much quieter than a Ferd or 2nd gen Cummins passing by idling. You can barely tell it is on. No one on God's little green earth would ever know it is on as I drove by coming down a hill except me.<br><br>Cost: my dealer honored the original offering of $299 installed with the rebate. It took the mechanic 5 hours to install it. No comparison to the old ones for installation - - much more complex. This obviously was his first one, so he was really being careful and inquisitive plus he is soooo fussy. The 3rd gen has no vacuum, so they require the installation of a vacuum pump (hence a new serpentine belt), in addition to the normal installation. I asked what installation would be to come in now and have one installed. There is nothing in his manual on it yet. He indicated his guess at this point would be somewhere around $400. I did not check with parts to determine the updated cost they are showing. <br><br>Now, I can't wait to get the fiver on there and feel what it does. Gotta wait two weeks. WAAAAAAA. My first reactions are very positive, very clean and neat installation, very smooth and effective, especially above 2200 rpms.<br><br>HappyBob
Old 01-16-2003, 12:27 PM

Way to go FiverBob. Bob has his JAKE BRAKE.<br>Good report and know you will enjoy it.<br><br>Glad to hear your dealer honored the price. They still have not announced the availability for the 48RE. They need to get real on the price. I think it will go for close $2,000 installed but not sure.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:28 PM

03HO,<br> I noticed you are in Fort Worth. You can call Auto Nation in Grand Prarie I know for a fact they have installed two and have had them at least two of them in the parts department so they probably could answer your question.<br> Randy
Old 01-16-2003, 07:19 PM

Great moss, thanks
Old 01-16-2003, 10:27 PM

My $.02 now that I ahve my &quot;Jake&quot; installed. I'm very happy with my dealer here in Carson City. They were up front with me when I purchased the truck and they gave me a very reasonable price. At that time, the &quot;Jake&quot; with the rebate was supposed to be $299.00 installed. They told me that the brake wouldn't be available until after the first of the year and that the price would be considerably higher due to the new vacuum pump that had to be used. They would not accept an order at the $299 price as they knew then that the price would be higher. Well, the price is now $1323.oo installed, although I got it for $900 because of the $500 credit. The parts department called me as soon as they had one in stock and it was installed the next day. The installation is very clean and the switch on the stick reminds of the old &quot;2-speed&quot; rear axle switches of 40 years ago. It even has a light on it to let you know you have it on.<br><br>It is very quiet, and very effective compared to the BD unit I had on my old '89 with the auto (I had an aftermarket torque converter installed to make it effective). The owner's paper for the &quot;Jake&quot; says it's most effective at around 3000 rpms. I haven't had the engine anywhere near that -- yet, but will have to trailer hooked up shortly, but from what I've seen so far it will probably double the life of my brakes and I certainly won't worry about the no engine brake signs.<br><br>

Quick Reply: 03 Exhaust brake installed, finally